Cleaning the AK

motogp08

Registered
Need some imput from you gun nuts like me!

When cleaning my ak, is it okay to, when using the bore-brush (with copper bristles), to run it back and forth through the barrel? Or do i need to take it off of the rod, and re-attach it to run it through again?

Same thing with the patches and patch holder, can i just leave it on the rod and just run it back and forth several times, without screwing up the threads? Or do i need to take the patch holder off of the rod when it gets to the end of the bore, and put it back together before i run it through again?

I'm asking this because i was told at the gunstore to clean the direction of the threads...and am not EXACTLY sure what the includes...

Thanks everyone!
beerchug.gif

Need some imput from you gun nuts like me!

When cleaning my ak, is it okay to, when using the bore-brush (with copper bristles), to run it back and forth through the barrel? Or do i need to take it off of the rod, and re-attach it to run it through again?

Same thing with the patches and patch holder, can i just leave it on the rod and just run it back and forth several times, without screwing up the threads? Or do i need to take the patch holder off of the rod when it gets to the end of the bore, and put it back together before i run it through again?

I'm asking this because i was told at the gunstore to clean the direction of the threads...and am not EXACTLY sure what the includes...

Thanks everyone!
beerchug.gif
I have a Chinese(Norinco) SKS, similar in design to an AK-47 and same ammo. When you clean your barrel, obviously enter from the muzzle but allow the brush to completely exit the barrel into the reciever before you bring it back completely out.

The copper bristles will flex in the direction the brush is being pulled OR pushed, this flex helps the brush conform to the barrel and its rifling.

If you change direction while inside the barrel(having done this once years ago), you will more than likely damage the brush,(permanently bend bristles), but NOT likely damage the barrel or its rifling("threads" I believe you are refering to).

As a side note, I cleaned the heck out of my SKS before shooting it the first time (they are usually packed with Cosmolene(a goopy rust inhibitor).
    Well, I forgot to clean the gas tube, and after the gun got warm, hot cosmolene shot out the small top vent hole and sprayed my buddy standing next to me.

Enjoy the gun, I'm sure you will get lots of good advice from more learned gun folks than me.
thumb_up.gif

Yeah... What he said. I usually run the brush through in the direction the bullet leaves the barrel (But that might be me and the way I was taught by my semi OCD gun friend. lol).

yeah, again what hes said. run the brush all the way through until it exits the receiver then put it back through. on my last cleaning I push it all the way through and swap out a clean dry cloth while the tip is in the reciever and pull it back out of the muzzle end in at twisting/spinning motion matching the rate of the spin on the way out the to pick up any excess oil or bits in the threads.

So you push the cleaning rod, in through where the bullet enters the barrel, and out of the bore? You're supposed to push the rod the direction the bullet travels?

Thanks for the help everyone!
beerchug.gif

super.gif
AM -->
motogp08 @ Jan. 17 2008 said:
1268846[/ATTACH] AM]
So you push the cleaning rod, in through where the bullet enters the barrel, and out of the bore? You're supposed to push the rod the direction the bullet travels?

Thanks for the help everyone!
beerchug.gif
Correct me if I'm wrong guys. But it seems to me, in this case you would have to remove the barrel to do that.

If you desired to go only that direction(with an AK-47), you would need to put the rod(without brush)down the barrel where the bullet comes out(muzzle), THEN attach the brush, while the rod is protruding into the reciever(part of the gun where the bolt is and the bullets enter the barrel). Then PULL the rod out going the direction of bullet travel.

I think it may be critical to clean bullet travel direction on highly accurate or "match" grade firearms. (But this is not your weapon)

In my opinion, the SKS/AK-47 is a loosly fitted, mass produced, robust weapon that is meant to take a fair amount of abuse. I dont know if you can do anything with that brush that would damage or degrade the weapon.

I like to take care of all my weapons and value them, no matter who the manufacturer or what it cost. But you really have a Willys Jeep here, it's OK to get dirty, it's difficult to damage, AK-47's have been put through the wringer all around the world, they keep a lickin and keep on tickin.

I knew a vet who had one in viet nam, he went years without cleaning it. He said the bolt would rust shut, and he would kick it with his boot to open the bolt, then it would fire fine. (not recommended but, my point is this is a very robust weapon and you most likely wont screw anything up on it, certainly not with routine cleaning.
thumb_up.gif

super.gif

I have never had an AK> I have had and still have ARs. As mentioned above, just run the brush through the barrel all the way into the chamber and pull back out. The bristols will bend and follow the rifling and should not hurt the rifling unless it is really cheaply made. Aks are very dependable weapons usually, although not as accurate as ARs, they will almost always fire under any condition.

Back