Chris Moore Gen 3 clickbait?

He mentioned a 520 chain conversion on the 200 hp bike what is your opinion on that subject people? The 650ib 1600cc 274hp bike also has this 520 conversion.

Last edited:
It might be a case of overkill using the 530...

I'd be interested to know how the 520 stands up to big hp....does it stretch and go out of adjustment more I wonder?

Yeah, at this point, I think that most any bolt-on bike can benefit from a 520 swap, and I do think that the 530 is overkill.
Back in the day, the 530 was a Need...and came on 500lb+ 100hp monsters, lol
The 530 evolved as it was needed for the 150, 180 and now 200whp bikes.
It just became a standard, and factory overkill is a good thing, put on a 530 that's Not going to break, or come off of a properly maintained bike.
These oem 530's were average 7400 to 8800lbs of tensile strength.
As the aftermarket chain makers caught up(couple decades ago), their tensile strengths were 10-20% stronger than oem chains.
520's quickly surpassed oem 530 tensile strength ratings as well.
We have since watched many a big weight, big cc bike leave the line at 9krpm with 185+whp...and have no chain issues.
Now, turbo bikes on 520's
Ok, I have no personal experience to comment, but I have no doubt that a rolled raced, turbo'd, Busa with a 520 will not have any problems.
My question is at what hp level can the 520 no longer handle a high rpm launch from a stop?
My guess is it breaks rear sprocket teeth and the chain jumps, before the 520 chain would break...but most any motor built to that level would have a brace or guard in front of the front sprocket anyway.
I went back and forth with this for several years, read alot, talked to several engineers, I claim no expertise in anything, but came to the personal conclusion that the weight loss from a 520 conversion, is only positive for any non power adder bike, that the 2lb+ weight loss of rotating mass is beneficial, and without risk.
I swapped the near 200whp '18 Gsxr1k from oem 525 to 520, and lost over 2.3 lbs, and there are no problems.
I lost as much weight swapping my 165whp '03 Gsxr1k oem 530 to a 520, including aluminun rear sprocket.
That's about as much weight loss as an aftermarket rear wheel, at a fraction of the price...on maintenance/wear items that you will replace anyway.
Probably one of the biggest real performance gains that you could actually call free, and easy.
But, I understand anyone not wanting to swap to a 520 for any reason.
I think the 530 actually looks better, and know that you won't feel the 520 conversion...but that much weight loss, and rotating mass gone, along with other mods and weight loss, really adds up to noticeable change.

I love the Orange of the 25th anniversary Busa. You can’t argue with the performance of an HTP built bike with Cecil tuning and Chris Moore riding it. It sounds like Chris tunes the clutch which makes sense that the rider is tuning that because he feels it.

I’m just catching up on Chris Moore videos and the Brock’s Gen 3 cam video.

Yeah, at this point, I think that most any bolt-on bike can benefit from a 520 swap, and I do think that the 530 is overkill...
I think the 530 actually looks better, and know that you won't feel the 520 conversion...but that much weight loss, and rotating mass gone, along with other mods and weight loss, really adds up to noticeable change.
Great post. Bookmarked. Weight savings very attractive.
As I want to tour however, I just wouldn't trust the 520 not to stretch prematurely. New steel sprockets front and back (but back is SuperSprox Stealth hybrid 530 / 44 teeth / 1lb 15.9oz = .521kg) installed with the new chain (EK 530 Z 3D), kept lubed and at the loose end of the tightness spec I hope will give me 20,000 plus miles...
But as you say I could be going off experience with a stock chain 24 years ago.

*Damn my year old chain doesn't even show up on their web page anymore. It's already obsolete and presumably weaker than the state of the art steel. Time moves on fast...

Last edited:
Great post. Bookmarked. Weight savings very attractive.
As I want to tour however, I just wouldn't trust the 520 not to stretch prematurely. New steel sprockets front and back (but back is SuperSprox Stealth hybrid 530 / 44 teeth / 1lb 15.9oz = .521kg) installed with the new chain (EK 530 Z 3D), kept lubed and at the loose end of the tightness spec I hope will give me 20,000 plus miles...
But as you say I could be going off experience with a stock chain 24 years ago.

*Damn my year old chain doesn't even show up on their web page anymore. It's already obsolete and presumably weaker than the state of the art steel. Time moves on fast...

Around 1k miles on the '18 Gsxr1k 520 conversion...and I've yet to adjust the chain...it's still perfect.

Back