CHOSING CHATTERBOXES & RADAR DETECTORS

G

i have 2 hjc chatterboxes that my girlfriend and i use when we ride our bikes. Im not overly impressed, although they are convenient. They get harder to hear the faster you go, but work great on a bike with a windshield, or better with a good quality helmet (windnoise factor). We have anywhere from 15 to 25 guys who ride together sometimes who all have them and i do like to be able to talk to all of them vs using the ol' handsignals.

HAS ANYONE EVER USED A CHATTERBOX? HOW WELL DO THEY WORK? WHICH BRAND TO GET? WHAT TYPE (S) OF HELMET DO YOU HAVE TO HAVE? CAN YOU HEAR A CHATTERBOX OVER A 4 INTO 1 EXHAUST SYSTEM? MY WIFE AND I RIDE BIKES AND HAVE CONSIDER BUYING THEM? HOW ABOUT RADAR DETECTORS? WHICH BRAND IS GOOD FOR A MOTORCYCLE? I HAVE SEEN A BIKER WITH A DETECTOR AND HAD A EAR MICOPHONE PLUGGED INTO THE DETECTOR? ANY INFO WOULD BE APPRICATED! THANKS!

when you say "chatterbox" do you mean like a 2-step for rev control when launching? i use an msd in my drag car.msd has never let me down in any of my dragsters and im sure this same quality goes into thier line of bike accesories. but im just getting into dragging bikes so while msd is good thier might be somthing better for your application...good luck..

AutoComm - not cheap, but cheaper than buying a chaterbox and then buying the AutoComm after you realize what a piece of sh_t the Chatterbox is.

Valentine 1 - buy the reomte audio and remote visual display, once again not cheap but nothing but the best.

It will cost you more money in the long run to buy junk, save and buy the best you can afford.

I'll second the chatterbox is sorta crap bit. Mine works about a 1/4 mile, and is sometimes hard to hear. They are useful though, especially for getting around slow cages in the twisties. If one guy gets out front, he just calls the clear times to pass for the rest of the group.

The final 2 words on 2way radios is Collette Electronics. I have tried all of them, and The Communicator by Collette Electronics is by far the best. 900 mhz, 1 mile range (really clear up to 1/2-3/4 mile unless on open road in country then 1 mile +), there's a passenger capable model, Nickel Metal Hydride Rechargable batteries are included, as is a cord for radio input, and a 3 year warranty. These units are so good that they're used by the Canadian Skiimobile Patrols. I have had mine for three years trouble-free. In fact, I liked them so much I became a dealer. If you need more info I can be reached at:

robertpmurphy@bellatlantic.com

They retail for, I believe, $265 (for a single unit, $299 Double unit in the off season) There are good discounts in the spring though. Usually $199/$239 respectively.

They (Collette) also make the amplified helmet speakers I've been looking into for the V1. They are sold in the US by Aerostich. I've talked with a couple of employees at Collette in Canada and they seemed to be pretty helpful. Collette also has an informative web site - I don't have the URL handy at the moment but it's listed in the search engines.

[This message has been edited by Todd (edited 06 October 1999).]

I live in Winnipeg, Manitoba (Canada) where Collett communications is located. I have used their communicator for about 7 years now, even though it comes with a 3 year warranty, I just took mine in last month as the power wire was loose, and they replacec within a week, and updated the mic with a water/wind proof one for no charge! Very impressive. The 49/50mhz model is fine for motorcycles, 900mhz for snowmobile, due to weather conditions etc.

Now, I distribute HJC helmets and chatterboxs to Canadian motorsport dealers, and the early chatterboxs were garbage, most were shipped back to HJC. BUT this year, they completely redid the unit and it is supposed to be suppurb! I haven't tried it yet, but various motorcycle product testers have rated the new chatterbox to be better than the current Collett communicator. Check your local dealer for info, or goto HJC's Chatterbox website:

http://www.hjc-chatterbox.com

Back