Child passenger ....

wow...truely a spirited discussion and brings to mind many thoughts of how i handled things when my kids were younger...of course always a helmet full jeans and jacket and gloves. but i will say this. i started them at young ages sitting in front of me as i went up and down the driveway. now they are 20-14 some met alex at the bash she is 18. ALL..and i mean ALL want me to take them rideing WHENEVER AND HOWEVER and speak frequently of getting thier own bikes and INSISTING daddy teach them how to ride. ..... that my freinds may have been worth all the risks (as they grew older...rideing style aggression increased) as now i have memories and common intrests that sometimes is hard to keep with your children once they turn adults.... life is never predictable but you do still have to live it.

They have a belt like thing with a handle that would be on each side for a passenger to hold on to.

IMO... if they can't hold on to something like what I described,then they shouldn't be on the back of motorcycle just yet. It would seem that if a accident would occur with a harness holding the two of you together,would mean you would become a tool of potential additional harm to them with your 160+lbs of weight.
Iwas just going to say that.

My Son has been riding with me since he was 9-1/2, he's turned 11 in May. I would never strap him to me because if we went down I would be afraid to hurt him more. He wears all the gear just like me and he loves it. Unfortunately he loves the speed and twisty's too. Sometimes though he just can't sit still and we all know how that alone can upset the ride. When he was younger and there was no one to take care of him I just wouldn't ride(not saying this is the case here). What ever you do, make sure they know the difference between right and wrong or else you'll be hearing later in life"daddy used to do it".. Lol Good luck and be safe. Everytime I ride I think of my kids, it helps with throttle control.. :thumbsup:

I believe that most states have age limits for children riding . I rode as a kid and my kids rode when they were about 8-9 . I wouldn't feel safe if they were younger . A good helmet is hard to find for a kid and knowing what I know now I would not take my kid anywhere unless they had proper gear.Its scary thinking about your pride and joy being handicapped becuase of you wanting to have them on a ride . remember its useually not you that causes the accident it the MORON that didn't look and see you

to lighten things up a bit, a few options that have not yet been mentioned (got these from here so surely REPOSTs).
P.S. If you have ever been in a Third World nation (I grew up in one), you will be in total shock/disbelief with the riding culture/mindset there. I remember my Dad riding with 3 kids (1 on tank, Dad, 1 behind him, Mom and me on luggage rack) on a 125cc UJM....very similar to pics below.

baby.jpg

bukcet.jpg

Family-fun-on-motorcycle_thumb2.jpg

Please enlighten me! How do you teach your kid the right way to crash? Do you teach them to tuck and roll so as not to burn off any more skin than is absolutely necessary? Do you teach them to pull thier arms and legs in because dangling limbs get broken? Do you teach them to keep their little hands which are bare or clad with cotton gloves off the deck as much as possible because they may need all their fingers to use a keyboard some day? Maybe you should teach them not to scream when the nurses are scrubbing the dirt, grit and pebbles out of their road rash wounds because they may scare the old folks out in the waiting room? Teach them to tell the nice man in blue that their daddy wasn't taking any "Stupid Chances" when he fell?

Yes, teach your children well sir!

I have crashed so many times I'm sure I have actually invented ways to crash and not once did I feel I was taking "Stupid Chances" when I hit the deck nor did I throw a leg over the seat and decide I would crash on this day? Crashes seem to have a way of sneaking up on you when you least expect it. If you think you are immune from crashing because you have a child on the back and you are not taking stupid chances, I have some startling news, you are not!

You know I typed out this big long reply to what you said and then thought better of it. You feel the way you feel because life has tanken you to this point and time, but my path has lead me deferent. Best wishes.

1ibandit
88 ZL1000, 07 KaBusa
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

to lighten things up a bit, a few options that have not yet been mentioned (got these from here so surely REPOSTs).
P.S. If you have ever been in a Third World nation (I grew up in one), you will be in total shock/disbelief with the riding culture/mindset there. I remember my Dad riding with 3 kids (1 on tank, Dad, 1 behind him, Mom and me on luggage rack) on a 125cc UJM....very similar to pics below.

They have extra kids in case some don't make it. :whistle:

You know I typed out this big long reply to what you said and then thought better of it. You feel the way you feel because life has tanken you to this point and time, but my path has lead me deferent. Best wishes.

1ibandit
88 ZL1000, 07 KaBusa
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Make lots of kids just in case you need them!

My Son has been riding with me since he was 9-1/2, he's turned 11 in May. I would never strap him to me because if we went down I would be afraid to hurt him more. He wears all the gear just like me and he loves it. Unfortunately he loves the speed and twisty's too. Sometimes though he just can't sit still and we all know how that alone can upset the ride. When he was younger and there was no one to take care of him I just wouldn't ride(not saying this is the case here). What ever you do, make sure they know the difference between right and wrong or else you'll be hearing later in life"daddy used to do it".. Lol Good luck and be safe. Everytime I ride I think of my kids, it helps with throttle control.. :thumbsup:

i was going to mention the same thing, that if you have the belt or harness and go down for whatever reason your kid is straped to your back, my kids want to ride with me and i have thought about it but i am going to wait till they can reach around me and hold on, i just dont like the thought of me slaming into them if we go, just my thought.

Neat product.. i think my wife would be interested in something like that. :laugh:

But really.. when i get a little one.. there we go! I put my dog in my backpack and took him for a little ride once.

Back