Child passenger ....

badassbusa03

I have a busa and might start modding it
Donating Member
Registered
Hey folks. Been a while since I have posted here, but its coming that time where I need some questions answered.

I have done a search and found https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/general-bike-related-topics/24979-what-age.html thread, and have read it over. My son is now 7 years old, and the thread answered most all of my questions.

There is one question that still remains though. In the past I saw in a magazine (I think) of some sort of belt strap that was like a double weight lifters belt. It was larger on one side, to fit the pilot of the bike, and smaller on the other side, to fit the child rider, and probably about 6 to 8 inches wide. I thought that this was a good idea, however, I did not follow up on it at the time, because my son was probably only age 4. I have thought about using belts, as what was mentioned in the linked thread, but thought that this type of belt would be better, as it is actually 2 separate belts that are attached (back to back), and wider than a standard belt.

Has anyone ever seen something like this, and if so, know where to get one?

Being that my son is now of proper height (he can reach the pegs comfortably, with bent legs) he is wanting to start riding with me. I have a size small HJC helmet, that will fit him, but that is the extent of gear that I have at this moment, but will be getting a jacket and such soon.

I've seen products like these advertised in most cycle magazines. Here's one of many designs: http://www.childridingbelt.com/faq.htm
beltsm.gif

Hey folks. Been a while since I have posted here, but its coming that time where I need some questions answered.

I have done a search and found https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/general-bike-related-topics/24979-what-age.html thread, and have read it over. My son is now 7 years old, and the thread answered most all of my questions.

There is one question that still remains though. In the past I saw in a magazine (I think) of some sort of belt strap that was like a double weight lifters belt. It was larger on one side, to fit the pilot of the bike, and smaller on the other side, to fit the child rider, and probably about 6 to 8 inches wide. I thought that this was a good idea, however, I did not follow up on it at the time, because my son was probably only age 4. I have thought about using belts, as what was mentioned in the linked thread, but thought that this type of belt would be better, as it is actually 2 separate belts that are attached (back to back), and wider than a standard belt.

Has anyone ever seen something like this, and if so, know where to get one?

Being that my son is now of proper height (he can reach the pegs comfortably, with bent legs) he is wanting to start riding with me. I have a size small HJC helmet, that will fit him, but that is the extent of gear that I have at this moment, but will be getting a jacket and such soon.

If you go with something like that, please let us know how it works out for you. My daughter is turning 8 on the 20th of this month and has been asking to ride with me on the 'busa. I've been taking her riding on my cruiser (with a sissybar) since she was 6, but I'm just not comfortable with the idea of taking her on the bus without a backrest and won't be buying a backrest for the passenger seat anytime soon.

They have a belt like thing with a handle that would be on each side for a passenger to hold on to.

IMO... if they can't hold on to something like what I described,then they shouldn't be on the back of motorcycle just yet. It would seem that if a accident would occur with a harness holding the two of you together,would mean you would become a tool of potential additional harm to them with your 160+lbs of weight.

+1 I dunno if I would be comfortable with being harnessed together. My lil girl rides around the neighborhood with me(6) and is flat footed on the pegs and she can lock her fingers together around me, that I like. I thought about the belt with the handles but the you would not no if she let got for whatever reason. Gonna be a few years before mine goes out of the neighborhood with me anyway.

sent from G2 via tapatalk.

I do not have actual firsthand experience so just conjecture on my part but I would prefer the harness pictured above. We have all seen how kids fall asleep in the worst possible places/positions.

God forbid if that happens to a child passenger on a bike and they inadvertently let go of the grips/handles? At least with a harness, they can let go and still be on the bike. My 2 cents.

I would suggest you invest in a corbin rear seat with back rest. then you have no worries about them going off the back.

Ping DNGrumpy - he has a belt that he used when his daughter rides; it has a couple handles on it for her to hold on to...really slick.

i made one for my oldest out of a old bus seat belt and some foam it works great think im going to add some grab handles like the on picured

100_1692.jpg

They have a belt like thing with a handle that would be on each side for a passenger to hold on to.

IMO... if they can't hold on to something like what I described,then they shouldn't be on the back of motorcycle just yet. It would seem that if a accident would occur with a harness holding the two of you together,would mean you would become a tool of potential additional harm to them with your 160+lbs of weight.

Hey brother glad to see you posting up. Don't know anything about the belts, but was wondering about the potential for harm if something happened and the child was strapped to the other rider or even worse the bike.

Make sure you visit once in awhile. :thumbsup:

I have thought about the belt w/ handles for my 8ye old. Last week he rode with me and I kept reaching back with right hand to make sure he was still there. And kids do fall asleep At the weirdest times. So I'm on the fence on straps of no straps lol

Rockethead using Tapatalk

It bugs me to see small kids on the back of any motorbike. They have no clue what's in store for them if they fall or the old man crashes.

I too am guilty of hauling my kids around when they were small. I would sit them on the seat between my legs so I could keep a handle on them and putt around the neighborhood but never took them on a day ride. If I had my time to do over again I'd never put them on a bike until they were old enough to properly fit a small motorcycle helmet.

Finding a helmet to fit the little guys is virtually impossible and a loose fitting helmet is really asking for a brain injury during a crash.

If you can't afford to leather a kid up and properly fit a helmet then leave them at home. "YOU" don't get to pick and choose the time nor place of a getoff but you can protect your child.

I don't like the idea of strapping a child to your body. Most deaths occur from head and chest trama. Keep that in mind when strapping a kid to your back.

I know we like to get the bonding with the kids...we love the bikes. We accept the responsibility and aftermath of an accident. A child has no way of knowing what is in store for them if an accident happens...loss of appendages, death, brain damages, permanent scaring. Please do not put a child on a motorcycle until they are at least old enough to motocross and they are wearing all of the gear. Tufbusa is absolutely correct in what he stated. I have seen kids in the er who have gone down on dad's bike with just road rash. I've listened to them scream like you'll never forget as they clean the road rash with brushes and iodine. They also are much smaller than adults and the physics of a crash is 3X more violent for them then it is for a full grown man. They can not absorb the impact like we can...not that we can...but no helmet fits them correctly and who has the money to outfit a little kid that will outgrow his gear in less than 2 years...read a nighttime story to bond...take them to the show..play frisbee or catch...but for heaven's sake do not put their little lives at risk...sorry about the rant..I just have seen too much carnage in the ERs from well intentioned father's and things go horribly wrong...

I know we like to get the bonding with the kids...we love the bikes. We accept the responsibility and aftermath of an accident. A child has no way of knowing what is in store for them if an accident happens...loss of appendages, death, brain damages, permanent scaring. Please do not put a child on a motorcycle until they are at least old enough to motocross and they are wearing all of the gear. Tufbusa is absolutely correct in what he stated. I have seen kids in the er who have gone down on dad's bike with just road rash. I've listened to them scream like you'll never forget as they clean the road rash with brushes and iodine. They also are much smaller than adults and the physics of a crash is 3X more violent for them then it is for a full grown man. They can not absorb the impact like we can...not that we can...but no helmet fits them correctly and who has the money to outfit a little kid that will outgrow his gear in less than 2 years...read a nighttime story to bond...take them to the show..play frisbee or catch...but for heaven's sake do not put their little lives at risk...sorry about the rant..I just have seen too much carnage in the ERs from well intentioned father's and things go horribly wrong...

Have you seen them from car accidents? Falling off bikes, trees, sledding? I know seeing anyone child or adult hurt is so hard, but living in a padded room has bad after affects also. As I have said in other posts our time is our time. If you decide to let your kids ride with you teach them the right way. Don't take stupid chances with them on board. As for using a belt I was told in an accident get away from the bike. I tell my kids get away from the bike and from dad. So I would not use one a back rest would be better.

1ibandit
88 ZL1000, 07 KaBusa
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have you seen them from car accidents? Falling off bikes, trees, sledding? I know seeing anyone child or adult hurt is so hard, but living in a padded room has bad after affects also. As I have said in other posts our time is our time. If you decide to let your kids ride with you teach them the right way. Don't take stupid chances with them on board. As for using a belt I was told in an accident get away from the bike. I tell my kids get away from the bike and from dad. So I would not use one a back rest would be better.

Please enlighten me! How do you teach your kid the right way to crash? Do you teach them to tuck and roll so as not to burn off any more skin than is absolutely necessary? Do you teach them to pull thier arms and legs in because dangling limbs get broken? Do you teach them to keep their little hands which are bare or clad with cotton gloves off the deck as much as possible because they may need all their fingers to use a keyboard some day? Maybe you should teach them not to scream when the nurses are scrubbing the dirt, grit and pebbles out of their road rash wounds because they may scare the old folks out in the waiting room? Teach them to tell the nice man in blue that their daddy wasn't taking any "Stupid Chances" when he fell?

Yes, teach your children well sir!

I have crashed so many times I'm sure I have actually invented ways to crash and not once did I feel I was taking "Stupid Chances" when I hit the deck nor did I throw a leg over the seat and decide I would crash on this day? Crashes seem to have a way of sneaking up on you when you least expect it. If you think you are immune from crashing because you have a child on the back and you are not taking stupid chances, I have some startling news, you are not!

Bandit, I agree that kids need to get exposure in the world. That is healthy. If we could control our environment as we ride it would be a different story for many. I am sure as you go through your life that you will see many people who were just in the wrong place at the wrong time...did nothing to deserve their "fate" as it were. There is a big difference, Bandit, between a kid who is 7 years old riding on the back of dad's bike because Dad has some sort of need to show his child something "for exposure" to the world and not to be closeted...and a guy who buys a motorcyle knowing all of the risks involved with bikes. Unfortunately, there is hydraulic fluids in the wrong places on the roads, gravel, rain on painted surfaces, birds that whack you out of nowhere, one guy got knocked off his bike by a piece of flying retread from a bigrig...you name it and it can happen. We are not talking about the cell phone yappers that cut lanes because they were inattentive to location and emergency exit on you...or drunks..or sun in the eyes of oncoming traffic...guys distracted and just don't see the bike in front of them....Bandit, kids need to stay on bicyles till they are much older...they have a right to grow up healthy...let them make their choices of risk when they are old enough to understand that motorcycles are inheritently (spelling..sorry) dangerous...we as parents should not place our children in harms way for such a capricous thing as a ride with dad that can turn out to be your worst nightmare. A crash that may brake your leg and rash you ...just might kill them. And yes, I have seen stuff in the er that even makes er doc's puke. But the most disturbing things I see in the er are children subjected to mayhem...drownings, shootings, auto accidents, dismemberments...Life is very very precarious, Sir, and those guys who think they are tough guys find out real quick just how fragile the human body is...it takes almost nothing, Bandit, to lose a limb or have it so mangled that it will never be the same...can you imagine what that would be like if someone side swiped you and you were crippled? Now what are you going to tell your wife when she is called to the hospital and they tell her little Sheila was DOA? U may think I am being over dramatic here..but I see this stuff year in and year out for the last 35 years and it is gut wrenching just to see it as a hospital worker. Can you imagine what it would be like if it were your child due to some teenage girl who runs you off of the road with your little kid on the back of the bike? Saying it was their fate...try telling that story to your wife when she asks you wtf you were thinking when you took her out for a ride..I don't think it will sit well with you or her. Let the child grow into a young adult and allow them to take their own risks...please..I implore you.

Back