Cherohala Skyway

Learjett

Donating Member
Registered
Well, I've been wanting to film the Skyway so I can put together a movie and today I had an unexpected chance to start the project.  I was supposed to work today but the trip canceled, so about 9am I just jumped on the Busa and headed for the Skyway.

I rode from Telico Plains to Thunder Mountain store where I got a good sandwich and a rest.  Motorcycle traffic was extremely light going over but picked up a little coming back.  I filmed all the way over, and most of the way back and got two hours of film and a bunch of stills for my movie.

While the scooter traffic was light, the LEO's were heavy.  As soon as I crossed into NC, my radar detector went off and sure enough there was an NC trooper shooting radar.  A little further on there was another one doing the same thing!  I can't tell you how many times this device has saved my bacon!  

Coming back towards Telico Plains, about one mile from the TN state line, NHP had their troopers set up for a random check.  The had at least 10 cars parked along the road with traffic cones in the middle and about 6 LEO's standing in the road stopping traffic.  The stopped me in the road and just wanted to see my license and I was on my way.  One mile into TN, the THP had an identical setup.  However, the just motioned me on and it appears that NC was stopping all West Bound Skyway traffic in their state, and TN was only stopping the East bound Skyway traffic in their state.

About 5 miles from Telico Plains, I looked into my rear view mirror and noticed two cars a good ways back, and also notice two scooters of some sort passing them across the double yellon and in a curve.  I thought wow, they are nuts!  In a matter of seconds they passed me as well at fairly high speed.  They were riding two late model Gold Wings, one Red and I think the other was blue.  They were just about draggin steel around the curve and I thought those idiots are gonna kill themselves!  About that time I looked back and saw blue lights coming up on me fast and I knew what the deal was.  The THP wizzed by me obviously chasing them but I don't know if he ever caught 'em or not.  Oh, and I got the whole thing on film as they all went by!

Anyway, here's a few pics... was nice today and not hot!
IMG_3687.jpg

IMG_3686.jpg

IMG_3694.jpg

IMG_3709.jpg

IMG_3708.jpg

IMG_3713.jpg

IMG_3729.jpg

IMG_3715.jpg

Nice shots! I can't wait to see the video clip(s)!

Glad you had a good time and didn't get popped!

nice pics...that should make some interesting footage
beerchug.gif

I want to know what radar detector you have! Sounds like a good investment. I'm 2 hours from Tellico Plains, and was thinking about riding it tomorrow. With the wife onboard, and all the heat, I guess I'll be taking it easy. Thanks for the heads up. Lookin forward to the vid.

The pics are outstanding, Thanks. Memories.... where's the video? C'Mon now...
zzwhip.gif

Those dayum goldwingers, bunch of hulligans, glad sport bike riders are easier going
wow.gif

Please post details of your detector. I have a V1 and want to get it on the bike, but am concerned about sound out put. Are you using a screamer? or a visual indicator? Ram mount? Suction cup? Pix please.

Thanks

Back