Trail of the Dragon news Dec 2011 (Trucks banned on the NC Side)!

skydivr

Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes
Donating Member
BULLETIN: North Carolina has done what Tennessee won't do ...... ban trucks
heading to the DRAGON. It is now illegal for trucks longer than 30 feet to
operate on US 129 anywhere from US 19/74 all the way to the NC/TN State Line.
They are also banned on NC 28 from NC 143 all the way to US 129. Also on the ban
list is the entire Cherohala Skyway in North Carolina.

New signage will
be erected to advise of the Restrictive Routes.

Effectively a 'fait accompli' for TN side of the Dragon from the last junction onto 129 (Foothills?) as there is no other route to take once you get to the good parts. No trucks are gonna want to go up the TN side and then turn around and go back. TN will either have to also block before the start of the good parts, or build a turnaround at their expense at the state line....I think this will be a good move for all riders - but bad for local commerce who requires hauling of goods.

No, the azzhats in TN will just spread some dirt and gravel on 129 every Thursday :whistle:

why no trucks? why are trucks such a hazard????

You've never seen the Dragon, have you? the turns are so sharp a truck hauling a trailer can't get around them without crossing line, or putting the tralier off in the ditch...The video's don't do justice.

No, the azzhats in TN will just spread some dirt and gravel on 129 every Thursday :whistle:

Only gravel I ever saw spread was on the inbred NC side....

I thought the guy was reaching for a pistol in the second video...

Trucks 30 ft or longer would typically weight 10's of thousands of pounds which beats up on the roads/corners too. Great to know it will be a safer place to ride!

The letter also noted that TDOT, in conjunction with the motorcycle industry, had conducted a series of studies on the Dragon in 2008 to identify the root cause of severe crashes and to then implement safety improvements. In researching fatal crashes, the department said that during the last three years only one crash involved a collision between a motorcycle and tractor-trailer.

Apparently, more than one person has to die in TN before it becomes statistically relevant.

Back