Cherohala snow

CWCobra

Registered
Went for a little spin this morning...next thing you know, I'm in Tellico Plains. It was sunny and about 44 degrees or so, so I figured, what the heck, I'll just ride across the Cherohala and back down thru Deals Gap to Vonore. Zero traffic. Nada. Zip. Had the road to myself.

When I passed the 2,000 foot marker, I started seeing this strange white powdery stuff on the sides of the road. Could it be snow? We don't get enough in SE Tenn for me to remember. Anyhow, at 3,000 feet, there was a good bit of snow. Then at 4,000, I could tell the road had been plowed, due to snow piled up on the shoulders. At 5,000, snow was a foot to 1.5 feet high on the shoulders. Then, at the top, at the NC/TN line, snow completely covered the road as far down the Carolina side as I could see. I saw a couple of guys in a 4x4 - deer hunters maybe. Anyhow, there was no way I was gonna tackle the snow. I did a 180, and headed back to Tellico.

I've got to start carrying a camera.

CW

How much colder up at the top?

Couldn't say...had to be colder than down at 800 feet elevation where I started...snow was melting, though. There was run off across the road way in every turn. It will re-freeze tonight most likely.

We're expecting 2 inches of rain tonight/tomorrow. Unless it turns to snow up top, the rain will wash most of it away.

CW

Back