Chemist Chemistry question

Superjustin13

Registered
This is going to seem like a weird question. I ended up dumping my cat box out in the trash can, and ended up dumping hydrogen peroxide into the liter box when there was a little bit of wet litter in there (urine). It ended up bubbling up a little and creating a gas every time i moved the liquid in the box. I thought it was just the reaction from the peroxide like it bubbles in a cut. The gas ended up having a really nasty smell, did i react a toxic gas?

there could be blood in the urine. blood and cells contain an enzyme called catalase. when catalase comes in contact with hydrogen peroxide it turns the hydrogen peroxide into water and oxygen gas that smell funky.

My cat produces a high amount of ammonia with his urine. I talked to the vet about it and she said its not a problem. It was wet litter and ammonia smelling urine in the box. That's why im curious if it was toxic gas, because when i moved the liquid on the side where i poured it out it would fume- and gas.

Chemically, the combination of ammonia (NH3) and hydrogen peroxide (H2S2) could result in the production of a number of products, providing necessary conditions are present. Most commonly, nitrogen (N2), water (H20) and nitrogen oxide (NO) will be produced. It is also possible that N2H4 will be produced, a highly toxic chemical.

I really doubt if you have anything to worry about. Creating N2H4 would be an exothermic reaction which would give off noticeable heat.

whatever you do, do NOT, repeat NOT ever pour soda/carbonated liquid over chlorine pellets/tabs/etc that could be used for pools. That my friend will create a naughty cloud of nasty ... of course you might not be around to tell us what you did if you ever do that :whistle:

whatever you do, do NOT, repeat NOT ever pour soda/carbonated liquid over chlorine pellets/tabs/etc that could be used for pools. That my friend will create a naughty cloud of nasty ... of course you might not be around to tell us what you did if you ever do that :whistle:

Well I know what I'M bringing to the Bash! :thumbsup:

just do it when I'm not around... causes a chlorine gas cloud, colorless and odorless but potentially deadly

Crap, I thought it would be something fun.. :banghead:

I guess I'll have to do it at work then instead.. :whistle:

Back