Checked out '05 Gixxer 1K...

BulletTrain

Call me Daddy...
Donating Member
Registered
At the Motorcycle Show in Atlanta yesterday they had three demo Gixxer 1k's on display for all to slobber on. These were the first ones I've seen in person so I had to climb on and check 'em out. I thought I'd post my impressions of it...

First of all, I think they actually look worse in person than they do in pics... especially the tail section. I actually kind of dig the lowers and front end, and I actually even liked the mirror mount signals in person. Also, in all honesty the new shape can wasn't even as bad as it looked in pics. It's when you get to that hideous tail section styling that you have to fight to keep your lunch down. It's so bad that I just can't get past it. It's not like a part of the bike that could have been better... It's an absolute flop. Again though, I could really dig this bike if they hadn't blown the tail that bad... Ok, that covers looks...

As for feel, I've got to say that it was not bad at all. It felt a little wide (in the tank, not the seat), and a bit top heavy compared to the 10 but not really a bad feel, just different. Seat height was about right for me but it doesn't have the "sittin' in the bike instead of on top of it" feel that the 10 has. Overall, the Gixxer 1k came in third for me in feel out of all the bikes I sat on at the show.

I didn't sit on a 10R there because that would be like sleepin' with your own wife at a whorehouse, but I sat on all of the other big four Japanese sportbikes, both litres and 600's... as well as Zuk's Gixxer 750. My top three non-10R picks out of everything available for '05 is as follows:

#1- Yamaha R6- Believe it or not, the best feeling bike I sat on at the show was a sweet little '05 solid black Yamaha R6. That little thing felt so similar to the 10 that it was almost freaky. The pegs felt like they might have been a bit closer to the seat and just slightly more forward lean to reach the bars, but honestly so close that it was freaky. I went to the show expecting to fall in love with the sweet new ZX-636 but left a LOT more impressed with the feel of the R6... I'd love to take an R6 through the twisties and see how they handle. I hear those things slice and dice in the mountains and on the track. A little black R6 would make for a cool second/track bike, huh?
wink.gif

#2- Yamaha R1- This was no surprise though. I sat on those when I was shopping for a litre bike. Besides having a bit more agressive riding position and the feeling of sitting a bit higher on the bike the R1 was second in comfort/feel for me behind the 10. The '05 sat just like the '04 R1's I checked out when shopping. If the 10 were included in this list the R1 would slide to third behind the #2 R6 now. It's still my close second choice in litre bikes. I also still love that undertail exhaust...
drooling3.gif

#3- '05 GSXR-1000- Aside from feeling a bit wider in the tank area (really more of a psychological issue than a comfort issue I guess) and feeling a bit top heavy compared to the R1 and R6 (and the 10 of course), the new Gixxer felt pretty good comfort wise. It wasn't uncomfortable but it didn't feel "natural" for me like the R6 and the 10R both do. I'd love to give one a run through the twisties and see how it runs and handles. It's definitely an improvement in feel for me compared to the previous Gixxer design.

After all the write-ups I've seen that talked about how much the 6R was patterned after the 10R I really, REALLY expected to be more impressed with them. I expected more of the same "Sittin' in instead of on" feel of the 10R. The '05 felt like an improvement over the previous 6R/RR design, but I definitely wasn't feelin' the 10R influence when I sat on them. The 636/6RR actually looked and felt longer than the 10 does. I'd think they would be more compact, but I didn't get that impression sittin' on them and lookin' at them at the show. I haven't looked at wheelbase specs but surely the 636 wouldn't be longer than a litre bike chassis...
rock.gif

Anyway, that's how things stacked up for me. I guess after the #3 Gixxer 1k the Honda 1000RR and 600 RR would be my next choice. They felt kind of neutral to me. Not good, not bad... Fairly comfortable with no one aspect of the bike sticking out in my head as I sat on 'em and moved them around... Overall just a neutral bike.

Enjoyed the show. Wish I could afford several bikes!
biggrin.gif

The thing I can't get past with the new Gixxer 1K is that horrible titanium exhaust. I hated it in the photos and it was even worse when I saw it at the bike show a couple of weeks ago. It just doens't blend with the styling of the bike at all. I imagine there will be a huge aftermarket for replacement slipons etc.

Yes, a black R6 would look good next to your 10. Another photo opportunity for the calendar makers
wink.gif

I actually like that Ti exh on the new 1k......finally something really different in exhaust systems.......it'll either grow on ya, or you'll hate it for good.

BAh, Quit whining and cryin about the GSXR1K's new Fugly Ti Can... You know as well as I do that the stock cans last about a minute for 90% of us... so it's ugliness will prolly not even make it out of the dealership...
smile.gif

Has anyone seen the perfomance on it yet. Went to the store yesterday and pic'd up a mag. Says its supposed to put down 164bhp. Dont know how much 04's model put down but i really want to see what it can do

Do you suppose the author may be just a wee bit "Bias"
wink.gif

I personally liked what I saw in the gixxer 1k at the Seattle show! It had a great feel with the seat slightly lowered over the 04 as well as slighly more narrow. The foot pegs have been move slighly lower so it's a bit more comfy for a tall guy like me. The exhaust can be a minus but some love it and some hate it. It really don't bother me but it could be more physically appealing? However, I think they had weight and performance in mind with the design. As for the tail section, Suzuki designed that around the Aprilia and Ducati, both look almost exactly like the gixxer? I personally like that look. I always hated the extended turn signals on both the gixxer and the busa.

As for me, I can't wait to knuckle that 164 HP up to a BT014 as see just what she's got
biggrin.gif

oh man this thread is about to get ungly GSXR vx 10R round 1
laugh.gif

Hey BT invite some of your 10 buds and ill got get some folks from GIXXER.com
biggrin.gif

The thing I can't get past with the new Gixxer 1K is that horrible titanium exhaust. I hated it in the photos and it was even worse when I saw it at the bike show a couple of weeks ago. It just doens't blend with the styling of the bike at all. I imagine there will be a huge aftermarket for replacement slipons etc.

Yes, a black R6 would look good next to your 10. Another photo opportunity for the calendar makers
wink.gif
I hated the exhaust in the pics on the net but it wasn't so bad in person. That tail though...
drooling3.gif

Uhhhh.... pics?
rock.gif
I ain't messin' with tryin' to post up pics here anymore due to the ever increasing restrictions on it. It's a pain in the butt to post up pics like I took at the show with a 5 pic per post limit. Here's a link to the full gallery though. There's at least one pic of the gixxer in there. I think Matt was on it in the pic. I didn't take specific shots of the tail because I couldn't stand to look at it long enough to focus the camera.
laugh.gif

ATL M/C Show Pics

I actually like that Ti exh on the new 1k......finally something really different in exhaust systems.......it'll either grow on ya, or you'll hate it for good.
I think the can grew on me... Not that bad in person. I think you're right though. It'll be a love it or hate it thing. I don't seen many folks just being neutral on it. It's too radical a change for anyone not to care either way.
wink.gif

Has anyone seen the perfomance on it yet. Went to the store yesterday and pic'd up a mag. Says its supposed to put down 164bhp. Dont know how much 04's model put down but i really want to see what it can do
Oh, I'd love to wring one out and see what it's got!
super.gif

Do you suppose the author may be just a wee bit "Bias"
wink.gif

I personally liked what I saw in the gixxer 1k at the Seattle show! It had a great feel with the seat slightly lowered over the 04 as well as slighly more narrow. The foot pegs have been move slighly lower so it's a bit more comfy for a tall guy like me. The exhaust can be a minus but some love it and some hate it. It really don't bother me but it could be more physically appealing? However, I think they had weight and performance in mind with the design. As for the tail section, Suzuki designed that around the Aprilia and Ducati, both look almost exactly like the gixxer? I personally like that look. I always hated the extended turn signals on both the gixxer and the busa.

As for me, I can't wait to knuckle that 164 HP up to a BT014 as see just what she's got
biggrin.gif
Nah, not biased... The gixxer may end up bein' the new king of the litres. Wouldn't bother me if it does. I don't do any racing of any kind, I just buy what my arse likes. My arse likes the 10 best and the R6 next in line. Trust me, if the Gixxer would have felt better than the 10 I'd be right here whinin' about wantin' one. I'm done buyin' bikes for form over function. If a bike fits me perfect I don't care if it's the least popular model on the market.

You're right about Zuk playing off of the italian/other foreign bike styling. Those MV Agusta's that had MSRP tags that were more than what I owe on my house had the same crappy styling. So do a lot of the Ducs... I just don't care for it... at ALL... regardless of who made it, what it costs, or how "coo" and "exotic"l it might be to others. No bias, just callin' it like my arse saw it man.
wink.gif

wink.gif

oh man this thread is about to get ungly GSXR vx 10R round 1
laugh.gif

Hey BT invite some of your 10 buds and ill got get some folks from GIXXER.com
biggrin.gif
I'll spectate... I wouldn't be much of a 10R representative since I can't ride well enough to get everything the 10 has to give. Would be fun to watch though!
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Hey man i dont know if i missed it but i couldnt really see the tail good fromthe pics u took

Hey man i dont know if i missed it but i couldnt really see the tail good fromthe pics u took
Nah, I couldn't hold my lunch down long enough to focus the camera on the Gixxer tail section.
laugh.gif
Nah, seriously, I hated it so much that I never even thought about takin' pics of it specifically. Sorry...
rock.gif

Back