Changing gen ll headlight bulbs

Tomo

Registered
Having just struggled with this I thought it might be worth sharing my experiences..
I decided to replace the failed dip bulb from below. Removing the instruments never seems like much fun.
Removing the panel directly below the headlights is plastic rivet tastic but that then gives easy access to the HID bulb.
What I failed to notice in my haste was that this is only the main beam bulb. £12 at Halfords and I now have a spare HID bulb..
On to the main offender and it became apparent that one needs to remove another plastic panel a little higher up (no idea of the purpose of this one) which is held in by two bolts.
You can then get your arm and your phone on video mode up to the dip bulb mount. Experience of artificial insemination of dairy cattle would be useful at this point.
Your video will hopefully show what you are faced with.
The electrical connector is a simple push fit but the bugger didn’t want to come off. Once off, the rubber damp excluder can be pulled off to expose the bulb mount.
I used the video again because you certainly can’t see it. A wire spring clip retains the bulb and jobs a good un.
Sitting on a low stool gave me the right height to do the job blind. I did practice reinstalling with the blown bulb before fitting the new (another £12) halogen bulb.

Great minds think alike.
I’ve had mothers pointing it out to small children and telling them “Look, it’s Batman’s motorbike!”
I’ve considered investing in a cape & tights but not sure I could pull it off at 5’6”....

I’ve had mothers pointing it out to small children and telling them “Look, it’s Batman’s motorbike!”
I’ve considered investing in a cape & tights but not sure I could pull it off at 5’6”....

Probably not lol

Back