Wire HID through existing bulbs?

Sous

Donating Member
Registered
Let me see if I can get my thoughts about this across to you guys/gals.

I will soon be doing my DDM HID conversion to 35W HID systems when I am finished moving. I was trying to think of alternatives to the spade connectors being mounted to the stock wiring harness. I have spade connectors for both the high and low beam bulbs from DDM.

I was thinking of buying the cheapest H7 and H9 bulbs I could find at Autozone and then hacking them up to use them as mounts for the DDM spade connectors. Basically, I would take the H7 bulb I just purchased and remove the actual glass portion of the bulb and dismantle the plastic base housing. Then I would connect the spade connectors to the inside of the plastic housing using a soldering iron and maybe some shrink wrap if required.

This would potentially give me a much more solid means of connecting the spade connectors to the stock headlight wiring harness.

What are your thoughts?

Why? Seems like you'd be creating even more issues....

Well for all that you could just cut the OEM connector off and buy some type of male/female connector for both.

The way I see it I would not be adding even more issues to the system. I am attempting to make a more solid connection than simply the spade connectors stuck into the stock harness.

I may end up going the route suggested by Thebbbusa, but I would prefer to leave the harness stock in case I ever wanted to return the bike to stock.

Another member gave me an idea over a PM and I thought I would post what I came up with and how I am going to accomplish my HID install. Each of these connectors are $3.50 and will enable the connection between the stock harness and the HID harness to be solid and secure.

H9 adapter
h11_male_wm.jpg

H7 adapter
h7_male_wm.jpg

I have done my 08 and it works just fine. You will save yourself a lot of trouble if you just buy the kit. Mine has been on my bike for over a year now and the only thing i have had as issue with is that the clock will not stay set. Everytime i click on the hi beem it goes crazy. LOL i dont worrie about it i just ride knowing that i am seen. Good luck
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
I have the DDM kit already for my 2008. I just don't like the idea of the spade connectors being hooked into the stock harness with a zip tie, tape or whatever you want to use to secure them. So, I plan to cut the spade connectors off and solder the wires to the wires of the connectors above. This will give me a solid, nearly stock connection for my DDM kit.

If you look at the standard plug on the low beam you will see the back of plug flips open, simply cut spade terminals of HID wires and solder onto the back of connectors in plug and close flap. If you ever wish to return to stock simply snip of wires. Neat n clean with a positive connection. :thumbsup:

Back