Chain tightening (frequency)

Justyntym

The Pessimistic Optimist
Donating Member
Registered
After doing my 500-600 mile maintenance and oil change (0n my own) all went well without a hitch. Fairing came off and back on quite easy...(expecting something worse)...I was inspecting my chain...

It moves about an inch and a half. I was going to tighten it myself but after seeing about half a dozen different measurements that must be exact to keep wheel in alignment and not possesing a torque wrench yet (rear bolt to 75 lbs)...I've decided to let the dealer handle this one. Also didn't get any kerosine, need to clean chain as well..

I would believe that I got a little extra stretch due to the chain being new...initial stretch and all. If this is the case and chain tightening wont be much of an issue maybe ever year or so...I'd rather not mess with it and just let the dealer do it.

If the Busa beast's pull, constantly increases chain length were it becomes a pretty regular ritual...I'd guess I better pony up the $70 at Sears for a torque wrench and go at it.

So how often does this come up??

And what do you recon a dealer would charge for cleaning a tightening a chain on a Busa?

wasting your money if you take it to the dealer, at $70 an hour here, and a min charge of .5 hour of labor....and unless you watch them and mention it, they arent going to use a torque wrench on it. had mine for 5 yrs and never torqued it. just follow the directions in the manual. its fairly simple.

You should learn to do it yourself...see if some of your riding buddies
can help ya with a walk through...maybe there is a board member in your area
rock.gif

The chain will need adjusting about every 500 miles for the first 1000-1500 miles. After that, you might need to adjust it once between rear tire changes.

I've been crazy busy lately, so I dropped the bike off at the dealer to have the chain adjusted. 3,500 miles since last adjustment and it was at 1.25". $20 for them to clean, adjust, and lube. Dropped it off going to lunch, picked it up on the way back to work.

Learn how to do it yourself. It is really no big deal. I havent used a torque wrench on a rear axle nut in 27 yrs.....I have one tho.....

hmmm. Maybe I'll check it next time:D

just make a mark on the bolt and axle with black marker, retighten to same place.

I've been crazy busy lately, so I dropped the bike off at the dealer to have the chain adjusted.  3,500 miles since last adjustment and it was at 1.25".  $20 for them to clean, adjust, and lube.  Dropped it off going to lunch, picked it up on the way back to work.
If I could get it done for $20 during my lunchbreak...heck yeah!

If you found the confidence to do your oil change you most certainly can learn to do your chain.
You found the instructions and can obviously read so go for it.
It's not really that hard.

Check your owners manual, it will tell you how to properly adjust. I check mine everytime I ride, along with the air pressure, oil level, brake fluid, coolant and cable operation. Only takes a few min.and makes for a more enjoyable ride since you know everything is OK. Once you get used to doing the maintanence on your bike, you won't want anyone else doing it for you.

Where in Central Fl are ya? I'm in Lakeland and would be happy to help. All we need is five minutes and some basic tools.
smile.gif

Very easy to do at home, on my last road trip you should have seened how I jacked up my bike to do it on the road, it got real loose. Used 2 car jacks to do it out in the middle of nowhere, but it worked.

If I can do it --- you can do it!!! It really isn't difiicult. Don't waste your money at the dealer.

check that chain FREQUENTLY!! Esp since your Busa is new. It'll be stretching so the slack is changing. It's really easy to do. Just follow your Owner's manual and you'll find it only takes 5min. I bought a torque wrench from Auto Zone for $35. Adjusts to 95 lb/ft torque max. the Rear Axle nut should only be at 72.5 lb/ft per manufacturer specs. Buy one and tighten accordingly. We're talking about the rear wheel here and YOU DON'T want anything coming loose especially at 180 mph!!! Dont SKIMP on getting it tightened up right. Dont forget to stock up on cotterpins too.

Just remember a TOO TIGHT Chain will come apart MUCH faster than a slightly loose chain. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN YOUR CHAIN.

Oh and if your doing your own work? BUY A TORQUE Wrench. Not for 95% of the nuts and bolts, but for key things like axles, etc.

Back