Chain Slap question

Surprised no one has asked about the mileage on the chain and sprockets. Usually chain slap starts happening when the chain is worn and reaching the end of it's useful life. For some folks that's as little as 3-5000 miles. For others who are fanatics about maintenance and tend to go gently, the chain and sprockets can last 25,000 miles.

You need to rotate your rear wheel until you find the tightest position (tension) on the chain and adjust it there. After you adjust, rotate the wheel again and again find the tight spot. You might be surprised to find that your chain gets very tight, which means you didn't find the real tight spot the first time you adjusted it.

Tight and loose spots occur due to runout in one or both of the sprockets. The chain itself does not stretch, but the lengthening of the chain occurs due to wear in the pins and rollers, increasing slop, and increasing the pitch of the chain.

Find the tight spot and adjust the appropriate slack in the chain there. If your sprockets have a lot of runout from wear, you will get tight and loose spots and you will get chain slap - at least until you install new chain and sprockets.

My stock chain went 27,00 miles before I replaced it with a EK ZZZ, but I'm a fanatic on Maint!

I think he stated the mileage was 3,000 since new.... But a good post regardless :-)

I had put a little under 3000 since I had bought it, I bought it used with 2800 miles on it so it already had some wear on it and I had the dealer check it at roughly 3800 - 4000 miles and it was fine.

Not to dispute anything said, just clarifying a point that I hadn't been specific about.

Back