Chain maintenance with lube.

jellyrug

Donating Member
Registered
On another thread, I watched the first video below.

It inspired me to go crawl on my arse in the garage and take a short video of my bike's chain, a few minutes ago.
That is the second video below.

Some notes:

1.) Bike has just clocked 15,000 miles, I get slightly less than 3,000 miles on a back tire, so she is not babied.

2.) My chain has never ever been lubed, purchased the bike new.

3.) My chain adjusters have never been adjusted, they are still on the original factory adjustment. When I replaced a tire, those adjusters were put back without any adjustment whatsover.

4.) I only clean my chain when I wash the bike, with a power washer. First soap with the washer, then clean water, nozzle far enough away not to get water beyond the chain o-rings. The power washer cleans the bike and the chain. Right now, both are a bit dirty.

5.) The bike is on stands, so the back wheel is down further than the manual specifiies for chain slack measurement on the side stand. Should I put it on the side stand, the play shown in the video will be quite a bit less. Personally, I prefer more chain slack than what the manual tells us.

6.) I don't intend doing a video, such as the one below. But if I wanted to, I would mix road dust with lubricant, repeat the test with that, measure the amount of iron which will get mixed into the lube with rotation, and show how bad it is for an open chain drive, running close to pavement surface, to have lube on it. Basically, it is putting grinding paste on your chain, and see it wearing out more than twice as fast with the same amount of operating hours.

So in short, I am the odd one out, I look at the first video below and accept that I have never been good at chasing feathers. I have designed more chain drives in my industrial life than I would like to remember, but if we lube, we always enclose, to protect from the environment. The worst thing one can do to a chain drive is run it with lube contaminated with dirt, AKA grinding paste.

So everyone here who are anal about maintaining their chain drives, cleaning them, lubing them, please hate me. It is OK.

On another thread, I watched the first video below.

It inspired me to go crawl on my arse in the garage and take a short video of my bike's chain, a few minutes ago.
That is the second video below.

Some notes:

1.) Bike has just clocked 15,000 miles, I get slightly less than 3,000 miles on a back tire, so she is not babied.

2.) My chain has never ever been lubed, purchased the bike new.

3.) My chain adjusters have never been adjusted, they are still on the original factory adjustment. When I replaced a tire, those adjusters were put back without any adjustment whatsover.

4.) I only clean my chain when I wash the bike, with a power washer. First soap with the washer, then clean water, nozzle far enough away not to get water beyond the chain o-rings. The power washer cleans the bike and the chain. Right now, both are a bit dirty.

5.) The bike is on stands, so the back wheel is down further than the manual specifiies for chain slack measurement on the side stand. Should I put it on the side stand, the play shown in the video will be quite a bit less. Personally, I prefer more chain slack than what the manual tells us.

6.) I don't intend doing a video, such as the one below. But if I wanted to, I would mix road dust with lubricant, repeat the test with that, measure the amount of iron which will get mixed into the lube with rotation, and show how bad it is for an open chain drive, running close to pavement surface, to have lube on it. Basically, it is putting grinding paste on your chain, and see it wearing out more than twice as fast with the same amount of operating hours.

So in short, I am the odd one out, I look at the first video below and accept that I have never been good at chasing feathers. I have designed more chain drives in my industrial life than I would like to remember, but if we lube, we always enclose, to protect from the environment. The worst thing one can do to a chain drive is run it with lube contaminated with dirt, AKA grinding paste.

So everyone here who are anal about maintaining their chain drives, cleaning them, lubing them, please hate me. It is OK.

No hate from this rider!
I used to own a V Strom and that forum hosts several who would agree that chain maintenance is a perfect waste of OCD ;)

@jellyrug

mount an automatic chain oiler
e.g scottoiler in its simpliest form

allows the chain to live 2-4 times longer than with the best maintenance with all sprays etc. that are on the market

and I know THAT for sure!

i have installed the Scottoiler on all of my bikes and equipped with this, the chain on the FJ1200 and Hayabusa Gen1 lasts well over 70,000 km.

what you may have to change over this route is the small front sprocket because its teeth bend backwards over time/km.

i have installed the Scottoiler on all of my bikes and equipped with this, the chain on the FJ1200 and Hayabusa Gen1 lasts well over 70,000 km.

You are dumping a krap load of oil on your chain.

Aside from cleanliness I can believe that lowering the temperature of chain will extend the life of the drivetrain. @Berlin Germany you have iterated the large amount of oil that your chain oiler uses. I could never spread that much excess oi into the environment. I also cannot argue greatly against chain oiling as it takes a lot of resources to make a new chain. So which is worse? I do not know. Everyone can choose for themselves.

Chain maintenance is another thread that rivals tires, oil, seats, etc....

Ask 10 people and you will get 10 answers....

I clean my chain and use chain wax and have for years and years and have had good results.....

I like chain wax because it doesn't attract a lot of sand and dust nor does it turn into a grinding paste after a while. I know people with Scottoilers and their rims and back of bike are always covered in dirty oil and their chains don't last that long because they never clean them.

Chain maintenance is another thread that rivals tires, oil, seats, etc....

Ask 10 people and you will get 10 answers....

I clean my chain and use chain wax and have for years and years and have had good results.....

I like chain wax because it doesn't attract a lot of sand and dust nor does it turn into a grinding paste after a while. I know people with Scottoilers and their rims and back of bike are always covered in dirty oil and their chains don't last that long because they never clean them.
If you own big torque bikes like myself , as we all do , and maybe you run expensive sprockets like my ceracarbon on the ZX14R or duralium on the KTM and soon to be fitted on H2 , well a bit of lube is a good thing imo . I always check for cleanliness and excess build up , with the actual spocket teeth usually fairly clean with only thin layer lube , The KTM chain is factory fresh ( STILL running in lol ) , has not been lubed by myself ( looks like the Kessner lads might have tho ) for my sprocket yet , but will be soon .
20221207_180220.jpg

20230822_145126.jpg

Back