Cell for my bike

FloydV

Donating Member
Registered
My wife and I have Cingular cell phones. One each, and I have one in my truck and she has one in her car.

Before I go on a ride, I like to put the one I have in the hump, so I can crawl there and get help if I splatter myself.

The problem is, remembering to get the phone out of the truck. I have to remember to get the helmet, gloves, boots, jacket, and pants, then the keys. By the time I get the bike warmed up and am ready for the road, I have forgotten the cell phone. Even if I just break down, that last step could cause me a lot of trouble if I forget.

So, what is the cheapest way to get a phone in the hump (I can wire it for 12v), so I will always have a way to get help? My wife says $250 a year for a third phone. One that never gets used (hopefully). Any better ideas?

pre paid fone would be an idea...just make sure its fully charged and turned it off...
rock.gif

(hydrabusa @ Mar. 11 2007,21:24) pre paid fone would be an idea...just make sure its fully charged and turned it off...
rock.gif
I agree get a prepaid phone its the cheapest way to go if you want one for the bike.

pre paid wont work unless you remember to add minutes each month they take away minutes every day even if you dont use them(my kids bitch like crazy when I ground them from there cell phone they hate to give away free minutes)

(spkerhed @ Mar. 11 2007,21:48) pre paid wont work unless you remember to add minutes each month they take away minutes every day even if you dont use them(my kids bitch like crazy when I ground them from there cell phone they hate to give away free minutes)
What prepaid dose your kids have? I had Virgin Mobile there not supposed to take mins away unless you're using it.

I will have to ask them there from wallmart but they all take minutes on prepaid phone here I think its $1.00 a day weather you use or not

When i had my prepaid they never did or not that i know of the mins would last me a month before i had to refill the phone. BTW this is 05BusaLE's wife.

ugh. i usually carry my cellphone in my pocket religiously. like they say about american express ........ "never leave home without it"

If your cell is bigger and gulky, you may want to flirt with the idea of upgrading to a newer slimmer phone that you can carry in your pocket, instead of the hump.

I could be wrong on this but, I had heard (when donating some phones for battered women) that 911 works on a cell anyway. What I was told from the donating person was that they give the cell phones to women and that cell carriers have to still allow 911 calls even if there is no service on the phone. I'll try to find out for sure though. If that's the case than any old cell phone will work for what you are saying.

(Punisher @ Mar. 11 2007,19:39) I could be wrong on this but, I had heard (when donating some phones for battered women) that 911 works on a cell anyway. What I was told from the donating person was that they give the cell phones to women and that cell carriers have to still allow 911 calls even if there is no service on the phone. I'll try to find out for sure though. If that's the case than any old cell phone will work for what you are saying.
No you are right any phone active or not will still call 911

Yep, any phone will dial 911, I would use that for emergency use only. Cingular has new pay as you go phones, check with them. I got one for my guys that do my rehab work on my houses. It only needs to be recharged once every 3 months or you lose your minutes and I think you can put like 10 dollars on it at a time. I never get away that cheap though.... but for emergency use like 911 just get any old phone.

(spkerhed @ Mar. 11 2007,18:48) pre paid wont work unless you remember to add minutes each month they take away minutes every day even if you dont use them(my kids bitch like crazy when I ground them from there cell phone they hate to give away free minutes)
I think my wife was saying that you have to remember to keep buying minutes.

I bought a prepaid phone from Cingular at a "Big" electronic store for $21.74 tax included ($10 talk time included!) just for this reason. The phone works just as well as my Blackberry and if it falls and breaks, I won't cry as hard.  LOL I flipped off the front of my brother's R6 a few years ago (too long of a story) and the pager I had on my hip saved me from alot of pain and agony.  Peace.  
race.gif

you could jsut add a line to ur already existing account thru a family share plan. most providers have a cheap setup rate for like 10 bucks a month and u jsut draw from a big pot of minutes that u are paying for each month.

(badassbusa03 @ Mar. 11 2007,22:32) ugh. i usually carry my cellphone in my pocket religiously. like they say about american express ........ "never leave home without it"

If your cell is bigger and gulky, you may want to  flirt with the idea of upgrading to a newer slimmer phone that you can carry in your pocket, instead of the hump.
Absolutely correct! In this day and age I carry mine constantly.........

I have Cingular also and they have another line for $10 a month. I was looking at phones for my 11 year old and Radio Shack had some pay-as-you-go phones for $19.95. There are surely a few different options for less than $50 a year.

Back