Scorpio alarm + cell phone hookup.

steelhead

Registered
I was thinking about hooking up a cellular phone to my Scorpio Alarm in the Hayabusa's hump, so that when the "shock" sensor is tripped on the Scorpio, the cell phone connected to the Scorpio Alarm Module will be sent an electrical pulse (from the turn signal wires), thus activating the cellphone to call my office. Of course, how does the cell phone know that the electrical pulse means call "this number" - this means a "black box hook up" of some kind needs to be invented.

Anyone with the skills?

I was thinking about hooking up a cellular phone to my Scorpio Alarm in the Hayabusa's hump, so that when the "shock" sensor is tripped on the Scorpio, the cell phone connected to the Scorpio Alarm Module will be sent an electrical pulse (from the turn signal wires), thus activating the cellphone to call my office. Of course, how does the cell phone know that the electrical pulse means call "this number" - this means a "black box hook up" of some kind needs to be invented.

Anyone with the skills?
Good idea. My thoughts are that if you have a phone that has a serial connection that could be accomplished with a simple micro controller box. However, a simpler approach would be to just hack onto the keypad of the phone and drive the number on the keypad that holds your office number in memory low for whatever amount of time is needed for the phone to react.
This is quick thinking and I am sure that some details are missing. It is doable but tricky. If you want it to be fancy, you can get it to send a message along with the call. Wouldn't that be cool?

if any device such as an alarm that activates and call your home or office numbers? it will sell like a hot cakes on the snow days...
And, I'm for sure...
rock.gif

Doesn't the Scorpio already have a paging feature? I know that paging systems only page the keyfob they come with, but I am pretty sure there are car alarms that are programable to dial cell phones. If this works, you could get an el cheapo cell phone, calling card type, to leave on the bike. The hardest part, as said, would be getting the cell phone to actually dial.

Found a cell phone dialer device to make the calls. Model#: EVI-3096-23. You will find it on Google. Funny thing...it is used by veterinarians - Birth Alarm Base Station.

Now, if you can hook up the EVI-3096-23 up to a Scorpio (via the turn signal light), then there you have it, a cell phone enabled Scorpio.

Is this possible?

So now the question is, the phone dials you but then what. I suppose you'd answer while frantically running out to see what's going on, but there wouldn't be any sound coming through the phone except for the bad guys running off, or driving away. Interesting.

The paging function on the Scorpio is based on an RF connection, which is limited to range and material.

A cell phone connection would be a much better alternative for sending distress signals, since it utilizes a cell phone network to send emergency beacons.

If it is possible to hook this-EVI 3096-23 (referred to EVI therein) cell phone dialer up to the Scorpio, it will work simultaneously but independently of the Scorpio's normal functions. The Scorpio already has the perimeter, tilt, shock, and engine kill. In case that someone is messing with the motorcycle but the Scorpio's RF range fails, the auto-dialer will be able to dial-out from the cell phone.

I have just spoken to Electronic Visions Inc. This device is used to monitor when horses give birth. The EV-3096-23 is connected to another device with a built-in mercury switch device, thus when the mercury switch is set off, then the auto-dialer would then activate the cell phone.

Since we already have a Scorpio, we don't need the mercury switch device.

Think about it. You put your cell phone in the hump, and then if anyone touches your motorcycle, then your cell phone would let you know. Scorpio would do the rest.

With a cell phone in the motorcycle, it may even be possible to triangulate the motorcycle's location. Hence, let the thieves run...you can track your motorcycle. Advantage here is that you don't need to pay a service provider for this "GPS" locater feature. All you pay is your cell phone bill or "pay as you go" plan.

<!--EDIT|steelhead
Reason for Edit: None given...|1152117523 -->

Doesn't the Scorpio already have a paging feature?  I know that paging systems only page the keyfob they come with, but I am pretty sure there are car alarms that are programable to dial cell phones.  If this works, you could get an el cheapo cell phone, calling card type, to leave on the bike.  The hardest part, as said, would be getting the cell phone to actually dial.
You are absolutely correct. There are alarms that actually call your phone when it's activated. They have been in existence since '92 or '93. Can't remember the name of the manufacturer to save my life.

My inexpensive Radio shack home alarm system calls my cell phone when its tripped. i can then press any button on the phone and listen in to my house and hear whats going on then call police if nessasary. maybe a simlar system could be installed??? Hmmmm

Thanks for the info.

Regarding The Radio Shack alarm system: this is a phone dialer which calls out from a landline.

What we need is a cell phone dialer that calls out from a cell phone.

Nuts? Nah...

You guys need "Snitchers".

Suprised that it's available in UK yet no comparable products avialable to what I would assume to be a larger US market.

http://www.datatool.co.uk/

Datatool have been one of the UK's top suppliers for UK motorcycle security these past few years, between them and Meta, most of the insruance approved market (Thatcham cat1 and cat 2) is sewn up.

You guys need "Snitchers".

Suprised that it's available in UK yet no comparable products avialable to what I would assume to be a larger US market.

http://www.datatool.co.uk/

Datatool have been one of the UK's top suppliers for UK motorcycle security these past few years, between them and Meta, most of the insruance approved market (Thatcham cat1 and cat 2) is sewn up.
Looks like that might be connected to a service you have to pay for.

The ideal solution would be some sort of pay as you go cell hookup. That way you could just leave it in the bike all the time, and you only pay once, or as often as you end up using it.

Ok, so I scoured the internet and found this text on a dead link.  It was for a car alarm, but should work on any alarm that flashes the lights.  All you need is a donor cell phone and a little nerve.  I DID NOT WRITE THESE INSTRUCTIONS, USE AND MODIFY AT YOUR OWN RISK.  There wasn't any other info from the site, otherwise I would include a link.  I have edited out some commentary from the author about contacting him, because like I said, it was a dead link.

I added the cached link here...dunno how long it will be available though

Subject: Making car alarm call Cell phone

Here is how to make the car alarm call your phone.
If you understand electronics, and know how to use a soldering iron and a multimeter then it should be easy.

1st, take just about any car alarm that flashes the parking lights with either a positive or a negative charge or that gives some an electrical charge to power anything when the alarm is set off. The voltage doesn't even matter because it will be hooked to a relay.
Let's say that when your alarm gets set off, it gives an alternating on/off +12V charge to the parking lights. Also let's assume that when the alarm is set off, it activates a relay which kills the starter.

1. locate the wire that comes out of the alarm and goes to the parking lights.
2. Strip a small section of that wire and attach another wire that will be long enough to reach the place where you will keep the cell phone. Let's call this wire #1
3. Go to Radio Shack and buy 2 very small 4 prong 12V relays, and a capacitor. (I don't remember off hand which kind, but get one that will be able to keep the relay on for about 2 seconds. The one I got is about 1 cm. diameter and 1 inch long, and it is about 1200 microfarads.
4. Lets assume that on the realys that when prongs # 1 and 2 are electrically charged, then prongs number 3 and 4 become connected. Also prongs 1and 2 are interchangeable and 3 and 4 are interchangeable.
5. Attach wire #1 to prong #3 on relay #1.
6. Attach a new wire (wire#2) to prong #4 on relay #1
7. Attach the other end of wire #2 to prong #1 on relay#2
8. Locate the starter kill relay (Not the Nissan one, the one that came with the aftermarket alarm)
9. Strip a small section of the 2 wires that give a +12V and a -12V charge to the starter kill relay.
10. Attach 2 wires to the #1 and #2 prongs on relay #1 and attach the other ends of those wires to the wires that you stripped in step 9. This will connect relay #1 in paralell with the starter kill relay. Most relays are not polarity sensitive, but you might want to test this out with a multimeter.
11. The purpose of step 8 through 10 is because most alarms that blink the lights when the alarm is set off, also blink the lights when you arm the alarm. This would cause the alarm to dial your phone every time you arm the alarm. Steps 8 thru 10 prevent this.
12. Attach a wire from prong #2 on relay#2 to ground.
13. Get a cell phone that will be permanently attached to the car.
14. Perform the following tests on the phone.
A. Dial any number but dont hit Send (or Talk which ever you have) until you read step B
B. Hold the send button down and don't let go.
C. If the call still goes thru then continue, if not then go to step I
D. Dial any phone number, and keep letting go of the send and hitting send at around the same time interval that your parking lights blink.
E. If the call still goes thru then continue, if not then go to step I
F. Dial any number, hit send normally and hang up.
G. Hit send again only once. Some phones will redial the previous # and some will make you hit send a second time and some wont redial at all (only the real shiddy ones) Nokia phones work very well for this job.
H. If your phone redials after hitting send once ( it might take about 3 seconds but thats ok) then go to step 15 and you wont need to buy the capacitor, if not then continue.
I. Check to see if your phone has a speed dial, most do. This means you hold down, hold down let's say the #1 key for a about 2 seconds, and it will dial the number that you have stored in the #1 memory.
J. If you got this far and your phone doesn't have speed dial, then get a different phone!
K. Test the speed dial #1 or #2 (some phones have #1 reserved for voice mail) or any # you want by doing the following:
L. Hold down the #1 (or whatever#) and let the phone dial, do not let go of the button. If the call goes thru, then continue, if not get a new phone!
M. Hold down the #1 and let the phone dial, after it dials let go and then hit the #1 a few times and if the call goes thru, then go to step 15. I don't see any reason why this wont work, If it doesn't, than get a new phone.
N. You can probably figure all this out in the store before you buy the phone.

15 Open the phone. It might get a little ugly and you might hear a little cracking but you MUST open it up. Again, Nokia phones are good for this project, abd they are easy to open.
16. If you came to step 15 from step H then make belive that the following steps say Send button instead of number 1 button.
17. Get 2 very small wires. The wire from a walkman headset will work nicely. Solder the 2 wires to the contacts of the #1 button (or whatever speed dial you want). Do a neat job, and test for any mistakes with a continuity tester. You don't want continuity between the 2 wires. Also put electrical tape over your work.
18 Close the phone up have the 2 wires stick out the side of the phone somehow. You can make a small hole or leave the phone open a little or whatever you like.
19 Attach the 2 wires from the phone to prongs #3 and #4 on relay #2.
20. Get the cigarette light charger for your phone, and attach it to the phone, and cut the lighter plug off, and attach the wire to the car's power. Some phones allow you to power the phone without the battery and just the cigarette plug. This part is easy, and I am sure if you got this far, then you will be able to do this on your own the way you like.
21, Before you leave your car If you soldered the wires to the #1 button or other speed dial, then program in the phone number that you want the alarm to call.
22. If you soldered the wires to the Send button, then dial the number you want but don't hit send.
23. Whatever button you used will probably no longer work, so in order to use them, attach a momentary button that will connect the 2 wires that come out of the phone. This will replace the button that you soldered.

Seems pretty straight forward, someone try it!  I'd try it, but I don't have an alarm yet.  I know someone who does though, maybe we'll try it together.

Wire up a 12 charger for the phone on the bike and your done.  Looks like using a speed dial button would be the best way to go too.

<!--EDIT|thebbbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1152273961 -->

Ok, so I scoured the internet and found this text on a dead link.  It was for a car alarm, but should work on any alarm that flashes the lights.  All you need is a donor cell phone and a little nerve.  I DID NOT WRITE THESE INSTRUCTIONS, USE AND MODIFY AT YOUR OWN RISK.  There wasn't any other info from the site, otherwise I would include a link.  I have edited out some commentary from the author about contacting him, because like I said, it was a dead link.

I added the cached link here...dunno how long it will be available though

Subject: Making car alarm call Cell phone

Here is how to make the car alarm call your phone.
If you understand electronics, and know how to use a soldering iron and a multimeter then it should be easy.

1st, take just about any car alarm that flashes the parking lights with either a positive or a negative charge or that gives some an electrical charge to power anything when the alarm is set off. The voltage doesn't even matter because it will be hooked to a relay.
Let's say that when your alarm gets set off, it gives an alternating on/off +12V charge to the parking lights. Also let's assume that when the alarm is set off, it activates a relay which kills the starter.

1. locate the wire that comes out of the alarm and goes to the parking lights.
2. Strip a small section of that wire and attach another wire that will be long enough to reach the place where you will keep the cell phone. Let's call this wire #1
3. Go to Radio Shack and buy 2 very small 4 prong 12V relays, and a capacitor. (I don't remember off hand which kind, but get one that will be able to keep the relay on for about 2 seconds. The one I got is about 1 cm. diameter and 1 inch long, and it is about 1200 microfarads.
4. Lets assume that on the realys that when prongs # 1 and 2 are electrically charged, then prongs number 3 and 4 become connected. Also prongs 1and 2 are interchangeable and 3 and 4 are interchangeable.
5. Attach wire #1 to prong #3 on relay #1.
6. Attach a new wire (wire#2) to prong #4 on relay #1
7. Attach the other end of wire #2 to prong #1 on relay#2
8. Locate the starter kill relay (Not the Nissan one, the one that came with the aftermarket alarm)
9. Strip a small section of the 2 wires that give a +12V and a -12V charge to the starter kill relay.
10. Attach 2 wires to the #1 and #2 prongs on relay #1 and attach the other ends of those wires to the wires that you stripped in step 9. This will connect relay #1 in paralell with the starter kill relay. Most relays are not polarity sensitive, but you might want to test this out with a multimeter.
11. The purpose of step 8 through 10 is because most alarms that blink the lights when the alarm is set off, also blink the lights when you arm the alarm. This would cause the alarm to dial your phone every time you arm the alarm. Steps 8 thru 10 prevent this.
12. Attach a wire from prong #2 on relay#2 to ground.
13. Get a cell phone that will be permanently attached to the car.
14. Perform the following tests on the phone.
A. Dial any number but dont hit Send (or Talk which ever you have) until you read step B
B. Hold the send button down and don't let go.
C. If the call still goes thru then continue, if not then go to step I
D. Dial any phone number, and keep letting go of the send and hitting send at around the same time interval that your parking lights blink.
E. If the call still goes thru then continue, if not then go to step I
F. Dial any number, hit send normally and hang up.
G. Hit send again only once. Some phones will redial the previous # and some will make you hit send a second time and some wont redial at all (only the real shiddy ones) Nokia phones work very well for this job.
H. If your phone redials after hitting send once ( it might take about 3 seconds but thats ok) then go to step 15 and you wont need to buy the capacitor, if not then continue.
I. Check to see if your phone has a speed dial, most do. This means you hold down, hold down let's say the #1 key for a about 2 seconds, and it will dial the number that you have stored in the #1 memory.
J. If you got this far and your phone doesn't have speed dial, then get a different phone!
K. Test the speed dial #1 or #2 (some phones have #1 reserved for voice mail) or any # you want by doing the following:
L. Hold down the #1 (or whatever#) and let the phone dial, do not let go of the button. If the call goes thru, then continue, if not get a new phone!
M. Hold down the #1 and let the phone dial, after it dials let go and then hit the #1 a few times and if the call goes thru, then go to step 15. I don't see any reason why this wont work, If it doesn't, than get a new phone.
N. You can probably figure all this out in the store before you buy the phone.

15 Open the phone. It might get a little ugly and you might hear a little cracking but you MUST open it up. Again, Nokia phones are good for this project, abd they are easy to open.
16. If you came to step 15 from step H then make belive that the following steps say Send button instead of number 1 button.
17. Get 2 very small wires. The wire from a walkman headset will work nicely. Solder the 2 wires to the contacts of the #1 button (or whatever speed dial you want). Do a neat job, and test for any mistakes with a continuity tester. You don't want continuity between the 2 wires. Also put electrical tape over your work.
18 Close the phone up have the 2 wires stick out the side of the phone somehow. You can make a small hole or leave the phone open a little or whatever you like.
19 Attach the 2 wires from the phone to prongs #3 and #4 on relay #2.
20. Get the cigarette light charger for your phone, and attach it to the phone, and cut the lighter plug off, and attach the wire to the car's power. Some phones allow you to power the phone without the battery and just the cigarette plug. This part is easy, and I am sure if you got this far, then you will be able to do this on your own the way you like.
21, Before you leave your car If you soldered the wires to the #1 button or other speed dial, then program in the phone number that you want the alarm to call.
22. If you soldered the wires to the Send button, then dial the number you want but don't hit send.
23. Whatever button you used will probably no longer work, so in order to use them, attach a momentary button that will connect the 2 wires that come out of the phone. This will replace the button that you soldered.

Seems pretty straight forward, someone try it!  I'd try it, but I don't have an alarm yet.  I know someone who does though, maybe we'll try it together.

Wire up a 12 charger for the phone on the bike and your done.  Looks like using a speed dial button would be the best way to go too.
Got your message, B and I have a donor phone and alarm system to trouble shoot this project in da Lab .    Holla at'cha l8tr::r{{

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1152299889 -->

I came across this the other day while reading my Crutchfield catalog.  I don't know why I can't find it on their website, but here's a good description.  Check it out!

Click Here!!!

And I found another site, that said one of the 'service plans' is only $50/yr!

Back