CBR XX Blackbird

PandaNin

Donating Member
Registered
I've been driving the same road to the office for 4 years and every day without fail I see this guy on a CBR XX on the other side of the highway (2 lane divided)** headed in the opposite direction. When I'm on my bike we wave like we're best friends but we never met. When it was introduced the XX was my favorite bike in the world. It was so gorgeous but I never had one. Then I met her highness Busa and the affair hasn't ended yet.

Anyways, I was at the dealership getting oil changed and doing the 15,000 mile checkup and when I walk out, there the CBR XX is. I turned around, went back into the service area and had to ask, "Who owns the Blackbird?" Turns out it's this super nice guy in his late 50's or early 60's. He bought the XX new in 1998, put 4,000 miles on it then put the attachment on so his wife could ride with him. We spent the next 2 hours ooing and ahhing over both our bikes. He LOVES the busa but had never thrown a leg over one. Problem solved there. I LOVE the XX but never threw a leg over one either, problem solved too!

He drives the XX every day from Novato to Mare Island. To make it more comfy he modded it with Goldwing pegs. Stock seat, suspension and internals. The XX has over 99,000 miles on it and he's never had to do any major maintenance. Only had to adjust the valves once. He was in getting it checked to make sure everything is good. It was.

I had to get pics for you cause it's the most unique XX you'll ever see.

Now when we pass we can truly wave as friends.

CBR-XX-sidecar.jpg

CBR-XX-speedo.jpg

** (Highway 37 between Vallejo and Novato for those that know the area)

Last edited by a moderator:
Old honda fan myself... seems to be another great super bike...

Who'd have guessed a super black bird and a Peregrine falcon can get along? Kind of like the fox and the hound.
tounge.gif

It is a sweet bike... Wonder if Honda's going to pump any more out in '09 or '10?

Who'd have guessed a super black bird and a Peregrine falcon can get along? Kind of like the fox and the hound.  
tounge.gif

It is a sweet bike... Wonder if Honda's going to pump any more out in '09 or '10?
It's not unheard of.
tounge.gif

The XX is still being produced in European countries.
winkold.gif

bike_003__Small_.jpg

tounge.gif

blackbirds are nice bikes, acutally my busa has some blackbird parts installed,, the mirrors.

Glad you made a new friend! Always cool to meet fellow riding enthusiasts.
beerchug.gif

Like wise, I always loved the XX, never had one, but thought someday I would. That is until they discontinued it. Anyway, a good friend of mine has one (Black of course) and it's still a great bike  
beerchug.gif

It is great to finally meet the people behind the helmet on the bikes we've seen around town. I've recently met a new busa riding partner that I had seen in town a few times.

tounge.gif

It's not unheard of.
tounge.gif

The XX is still being produced in European countries.
winkold.gif
I don't think they made the 2008 lineup. I'm betting there are still a few left in the warehouses there.

I found a few still in the warehouses here in early 06 after they stopped producing them for the US in 2004.

tounge.gif

cool.gif

That is a great story.. Has to make you feel pretty good now everytime you see him while out riding...
thumb_up.gif

I had a 2002 Blackbird and loved that bike. I wish I would have kept it and just added the Busa instead of replacing her.. Both bikes are great to ride...
beerchug.gif

Back