Caution.....You get what you pay for!

Unlike some individuals in the industry, I am not the type of person to bad-mouth
anothers product in an attempt to make a quick buck.

It has been brought to my attention
that the marketing plans for a new "cheaper" cure for the Hayabusas clutch woes are
doing just this, using the BDE/Schnitz Clutch Enhancement ( part # BRO1012) as the
target.

In the history of the BDE solution to this problem there have been ZERO failures! I personally have seen several examples, from customers that were either sold a bad product or ruined there own, of how NOT to cure the problem.

The BDE cure involves fixturing, clamping, and welding of two dissimilar materials of a different hardness. As a result of the
two parts cooling at a different rate, it is typical for small cracks to form at the trailing end of these welds. This is NOT a problem, the welds are approximately 3/4 inch in total length with very deep penetration.The cracks form in an area that is subjected to very little stress.

I have had customers voice their concerns about the cracks. My policy; if a BDE Clutch
Cam assembly were to fail, a new assembly will be sent to the customer at NO Charge, accompanied by a check REFUNDING the FULL purchase price! This is assuming that the exact place/date of purchase and origin of the assembly are verified.

Out of the hundreds that have been sold,I have NEVER had to do this!

I have pondered the design of the cheap cure, some questions for the manufacturer
would be:
1: Does your design rely on clamp
pressure to offset shear forces?

2: Does your design do anything to
assure concentricity between two
parts that were intentionally
designed to be a loose fit for there
original,non-dead-stop-launch
application ?

3: Does your design place additional
stresses on the inner clutch basket
that it was not originally designed to
withstand?

4: Does your design increase the chances of
aluminum particles/shavings entering
the engine oil?

I am not bad-mouthing! These are simply some questions that I feel an informed consumer would ask.

Brock Davidson
owner Brock Davidson Enterprises
and Team BDE Suzuki

that's a speech!!! i rather spend the extra money knowing that you're gonna back up your product! i'll take one as soon as i get my 2000 in. how much are they if i send you my piece's in? how long would it take to ship to canada(i'm near toronto).whats the phone # to call when i'm ready to order?

thanks maniac

Brock;I have personal installed 2 of these in bikes and yes the had small fissures in them, but both are still working fine.9.89 and 9.92. As for mine I had my good friend cretified welder do it up, as he put it "never again"

I like what I here, sound a little like me!!

Brock, What's the Hp break off point when useing the BDE mod?

This may be hard to answer if there has never been one to come apart yet.

This is good info since there are more big motor Busa's and Nitrous coming into play this year.

Frank

Who knows what the Clutch Mod is? then you know that there is only one design that is in stadard use for this mod. Buying it from BDE/Schnitz Clutch Enhancement, just puts someones name on it. Anyone with the "PROPER" skills can, as you put it, design their own. It is just as good as the one offered by the above party.

The only failures we have heard about are by incompetent individuals doing a half *** job on this modification and/or not getting someone with the "PROPER" skills to perform the work.

This just sounds like a big commercial for BDE/Schnitz Clutch Enhancement.. nice plug with a pinch of fear factor added in :)

We already know you provide quality work, but to call this a design almost doesnt seem fair. We are all in this together just some have more invested then others.... this doent me we are all clueless

Later

I have a BDE clutch mod in my Busa. It is the BEST mod you can do!!! Easy to launch, doesn't slip, and after 30 runs, clutch still feels like new.

BOTTOM LINE: Buy it, put it in, and never worry about the clutch again. Nuff said!!

Dave

Worry about clutch stack height, if you're going to drag race. With 10 friction plates, it only takes .004" wear, per surface, ( 20x, counting both sides), for pressure plate to bottom out on hub. The plates, on visual inspection, may look ok, but total stack height critical. I set mine up for 2.0 inch, total. By the way, Kaw 83 GPZ plates will fit. Fiber, and steel plates thicker, so they can be mixed, and matched. Busa has 2 thicker steel, and fiber plates. You use different comb. of steel plates, to get exact stack height, without having to buy new fiber plates, all the time.

Speed: <<<The only failures we have heard about are by incompetent individuals doing a half *** job on this modification and/or not getting someone with the "PROPER" skills to perform the work.>>>

Individuals?... Who are you talking about?

I have never read anything around here about someone screwing thier Busa up from the BDE mod.
I do remember what Kawabuser is talking about but thats not close to individual(s).

Refresh My memory?....

<<<This just sounds like a big commercial for BDE/Schnitz Clutch Enhancement..nice plug with a pinch of fear factor added in.>>>

You should give credit where credit is do.

I don't know of a better clutch mod for the money, and with that kind of warranty!
Do you?

Since Brock didn't answer My question, I'd have to say that this clutch mod is great for the 220Hp and under Busa's.

Frank

Frank here just click and paste for a trip down memory lane with a past member who lost face by bashing product and people.

It is fair to complain but, get your story right before you spew.

This is just further proof to back up Brock's warranty policy.

Here is what you are look ing for Frank a trip down memory lane.

Take a tour back in time with these, just click and paste.

This backs up Brock's warranty position 100%.

Funny how they run away after they try to spew lies and can't back up their stupidity.

Kawabuser,
If the outer clutch basket is inadvertently pulled out.(away from the engine) The oil pump gears must be re-aligned at assembly. If they are not, when the nut is tightened, one of the gears will break or the oil pump shaft can bend.

This is a concern on most late model machines.

One of my crew guys broke the gear on my GSXR 600 at a race in 1998. Ever try to find an "extra" oil pump gear at a race track? I got lucky, Traci Farr had one in her back-up engine and loaned it to me. I beat Rickey G. on the next pass.

I am sorry about your friends problem but if he would have followed the manual, it may not have happened.

Frank,
If you calculate the available area of engagement on the bus clutch, the 3 prongs on the inner basket (that transfer power to the input shaft) are the weak link(not the mod). I don't belive that any amount of power will be able to break these...WITH A STREET TIRE.

With a slick/bars only time will tell!

Brock

Maniac and anyone else interested in the mod, suspension links or ?.
In the past, I have only sold my products through distributors. The main being Schnitz(anything in their catalog that begins with BRO-?) with several others playing smaller roles.(Orient Express, Nitrous Express, Sudco, R&D Motorsports).

I am currently developing a web site of my own to market my products directly.
Until then, if you would like information on products or have questions.

e-mail me directly at b_davidson@msn.com

Brock

ps. speed, thanks for the compliment on quality. As far as the designs goes, its pretty easy to say that after you have already seen one.
A competent toolmaker of machinist can make almost anything, but a smart one will tell you that it is usually impractical and very expensive if the same product already exists.

I realize that there are many competent indivduals with these bikes and on this forum. There are also some very bright people from other walks of life that wish to learn more in a new area. I do not mean to belittle anyones intelligence, I am simply trying to inform at a level that all can understand.

A while back we had a member with a problem when his clutch mod resulted in a broken oil pump gear. He claimed it to be a BDE kit he purchased that led him to Suzuki's warranty rejection. In any event he never posted since when questioned on the facts.

While it is true that you can "fire up the Lincoln" but can you do better than Brocks Warranty, I doubt it.

[This message has been edited by KawAbuser (edited 07 January 2000).]

Kawabuser: I bet that guy never left the Org.

I bet he goes under a different screen name now.

Thanks for bringing this up. I got a chance to read some replies from "TooBad".

I miss "Ole" TooBad...(I think he finally decided to come out of the closet)(Good Boy!)

Brock: Since it has a weld burned as deep as it does, It may never let go?!?!

Back