Cars of the future?

Evil beat me to that one. Honestly, I would challenge ANY car to protect its passengers in a 70 mph head on collision with a concrete wall.

I think the bigger picture here is how much mass and velocity is in the opposing direction. A concrete wall is a good test, but take the 5500 lb truck and go head on with one of them and see how it does. These vids only show how well it holds up with its own mass to a stop. The truck head on would propel the car into the opposite direction at about 28mph (if they stuck together after the crash assuming the smart car weighs in at 2000 lbs). Now you did not come to a complete stop you actually just went from 60mph to -28 for a total force of a 88mph brick wall crash.

Point being, the car is safe if you only hit brick walls and cars of the same size. In America, the vehicles on the road are inherently larger thus making that little thing less safe.

Just my $.02

Last edited:
I was next to one on the freeway while riding my Busa. I dwarfed the smart car. Doesn't look to have great stability at 60 mph either.

Very true, 00busatx, but i wasn't going to go down that whole "physics class" type explanation. And the guy in the truck would be like "dude did we just hit something?"

:laugh:

Back