Career Choice and the Busa

Ok, I have an '04 Busa (Black/Gray), it is my first bike, and I am learning to ride it. I am going to medical school and practicing in the private parking area. I am the only one in this med. school with a bike. Recently, as I was just getting the hang of the bike, a couple of students came up to me and said that bikers are not respected in the medical field. Just want to know what others think. What are the common stereotypes about bikers? P.S. my comment to the peeps was, if it is between the busa or med. school, I choose the busa (I think I lost some friends here with that comment though)!!!

<!--EDIT|ambaig11@yahoo.com
Reason for Edit: None given...|1120840522 -->

my sister-in-law is a trauma doc. who rides a Ducati...

not sure if I'd dump school for a bike
rock.gif

I wouldt worry about it friends that do that arnt friends. i highly dought what they said is true. I wouldnt be suprised if there are quit a few on here that are in the medical field
wink.gif

Thats bull crap! I know of doctors and lawyers that are bikers.:)

Ummm i dont think that was a choice between career and bike. As long as you get done what you need to get done its all good. As for image of bikers its different with everyone. Hell i know a General in the AF that rides a bike and the af isnt kickin him out. Tell youre class mates to get some balls and get one or you can just take their chicks for rides when you get a chance
wink.gif

I guess that Med. students working on his/her "PHD" (Player Hater Degree). Don't worry about it, stay in school so you can become a Doctor and help BIKER'S.

those students are just jealous man... its reasonable as ur the only one with a busa.. man they r gonna hate u when u start riding it ...:)

"bikers" is such a general term. What kind of "bikers" are they referring to?

Harley riders?
Hell's Angels
Police bikers?
Military bikers?
Stunt riders?
Dirt Bikers?
Tourers?
Sport Tourers?
Drag Racers?

For most people, what does your mode of transport have to do with your career anyway?

Are you less of a doctor if you enjoy skydiving?

I believe what he is taliking about is the old "bikers are walking organ donors" BS. I have heard it before, but not from a doctor!
tounge.gif

GARBAGE!!! I'm a physical therapist and ride. Used to work with two physical therapist assistants that rode, know of a nurse going to the MSF beginners course. I get plenty of compliments on my bike and questions. Many who would like to ride as passenger too (women only though
tounge.gif
)

Nonsense, for instance. The doctor that delivered me and my little brother was a hard core Harley Rider. Tatt'd up and big beard, road rain or shine. So when I got my busa I had to go see him lol he is still delivering babies!!

If you think your field is going to be bad....how about mine. I am a NETWORK ADMINISTRATOR!! HAHAHA

Ok, I have an '04 Busa (Black/Gray), it is my first bike, and I am learning to ride it. I am going to medical school and practicing in the private parking area. I am the only one in this med. school with a bike. Recently, as I was just getting the hang of the bike, a couple of students came up to me and said that bikers are not respected in the medical field. Just want to know what others think. What are the common stereotypes about bikers? P.S. my comment to the peeps was, if it is between the busa or med. school, I choose the busa (I think I lost some friends here with that comment though)!!!
rock.gif
not to sound mean..but #### yer friends...if they dont like what you like..screw em..go find other friends..as far as career goes...go pursue it and do your job..your friends are not going to put food in yer mouth or feed your family...as far as respect goes...imho "respect is earned not given..so show em whos boss and who cares what others think...end of question...oh by the way...welcome to the board..
biggrin.gif

dunno.. 'bout the only doc I talk to on any type of regular basis is my daughter pediatrician (sp?) and he just doesn't seem the type to ride a bike.. never know though.. he may let it cut loose on a turbo leavin' the parking lot with the rear stepping out for all I know about it him.. well other than he is american (sorry.. i know it's not right.. but if you ain't gonna live here long enough to be a citizen and pay taxes.. your not taking my money) he listens to us... even if we are asking stupid questions, and seems to know his stuff.. like i'd know if he knew his stuff anyway.. but he acts/sounds like a doc to me.. lots big words.. followed by inquisitive glances to see if we are comprehending anything.. then normal english version of what he just said..

anyway.. back on topic..

little sis is starting med school in august.. her husband rides.. she rides with him and such.. I can't imagine your the only doc on the dreaded murder cycles.

F*** what your "friends" say. I had a bike in med school and had a great time. I did have 8 years of dirt/street riding under my belt though.

Occasionally I will get negative comments now from peers and co-workers. Most have seen bikers messed up or DOA in the ER. They are correct- your chances of serious injury in a crash are much higher than in a car, but these odds can be reduced if you wear protective gear and drive VERY defensively.

Knowledge is the key. Take an MSF course and learn basics of safety and bike handling. Then check out some advanced material (Twist of the Wrist 2 by Keith Code). Do some research on the Hurt Report and the recent followup DOT study on causes and outcomes of motorcycle crashes.

If you show your peers you are a careful, responsible rider perhaps you will gain their respect and change their negative stereotype of bikers.

Good luck.

Gotta call bullsh!t on this one. My primary care doc rides a 2004 R1. One of my good friends, a BMW driver, is also a doctor. Another of my friends (and riding buddies, another Beemer) is treasurer for a major european multinational corp. I'm a systems consultant for Deutsche Telekom. Whoever told you this is an asshat. As long as you don't walk into work looking like you just came from a Hell's Angels 3-day binge-and-puke, I really don't think anyone will care that you ride.

At least over here, its no problem.

That's total BS. That being said, maybe they'd give you tacit approval if your bike had the initials B - M - W
laugh.gif

What has your profession gotta do with your passion for motorcycle... !!! Wake up dude
wink.gif

Back