Changing careers...

Luvanicebum

Registered
Well, taking a $10/hr pay cut to change from Carpentry to Machining is going to be a difficult transition finacially, but after long hard consideration, I must get out of carpentry.
Given the fact that illegal labor has basically put a freeze on pay increases in construction and in some cases (due to inflation and cost of living expenses) has actually declined.
What I am left with beside a broken body, a pile of sawdust and no benefits or investments, is the burning desire to say, "Buh bye"!
We will see how I fit into an indoor machine environment.
The company I am starting for has 401K, profit sharing, medical, dental, vision, clothing allowance, tool allowance, tuition reinbursement for CNC schooling, paid vacation and holidays, overtime pay @ double...
Geez...I've never had any of those in Carpentry. All in all, the pay is offset by the benefits.

So, no more 6am 30 below zero mornings, shoveling snow out of a house frame, no more running sketchball thin pieces of wood through a table saw, no more freezing cold/boiling hot, nasty festering outhouses to tolerate, no more getting my tools ripped off by illegal immigrants. The list could seriously go on.

One deciding factor is the fact I after 12 years with wood in all capacities. I can do it all.
I'd like to start getting into making things out of Metal.
(Future Busa Mods, you know it)

So, dive into the unknown and make a change.
Now I need to start selling off my construction equipment, so I can afford different tools.

funny thing....i jumped again and now i am a superintendent of a redevelpment company....i can always go back union....the union was the best move i ever did though. i had to go to apprenticeship school for 3 years but was worth it.

I was born into wood
SHOCKED.gif

Good Luck man.
super.gif

<span style='color:black'>Congratulations on the change! Now just keep looking forward and never back, I think you'll enjoy the difference.
beerchug.gif
</span>

Do it and don't look back. I made the change from cabinetry to machinist about 12 years ago. I lost $7.50 an hour to do it and now make double what I did then. It is hard to back up that far but in the long run you will be better off. Good luck!

The added bene's may not quite make up for the pay differential but it'll likely come close.

You've got guts, man. You deserve respect.

Best of luck to you.

--Wag--

Back