Carbon fiber updated

If you are following along, I made these molds and eventually 10 carbon fiber finished pieces (all are gone)
P1010951.jpg

P1010950.jpg

P1010949.jpg

P10109631.jpg

I saw room for improvment in fit and finish. Mold has changed and projecting Friday to be the day for my next part to come off the new mold.

P1010983.jpg

P1010981.jpg

P1010982.jpg

P1010980.jpg

New design will require less material, has less voids (which will allow part to release from mold easier) and will be more rigid and stronger.

I figure that some of you enjoy this stuff, so I would share

You should see about making busa gas tanks. They are going for a grand and I would buy one in a heartbeat if I could find one for $600ish. If you make 10 that's $6,000 in your pocket.......

You should see about making busa gas tanks. They are going for a grand and I would buy one in a heartbeat if I could find one for $600ish. If you make 10 that's $6,000 in your pocket.......
$1000 is a good and decnt price for a fuel cell.

There is a lot more into making a tank than parts like these in materials alone. Plus to sell something such as a tank I would hope the seller carries liability insurance on the part for defects (also not cheap)

I doubt they have liability insurance, and yes a grand is a good deal. I could justify the tank if it were a bit less than what they are going for though. Your work looks very nice and professional BTW.

yea, thanks. I've got an alu sub that I lightened as much as possible already.

what about the front fairing brace?

what parts will you do that are covered by your current liability business insurance policy? (just curious)

Are you curing these in an oven, or at room temp? Just curious as I've always wanted to make my own CF parts. Looks great!

beerchug.gif

Back