Car Audio Question

stevo_1978

Registered
Currently I have an amp running my 4 door speakers. Its a 4-channel bridgeable amp. I am thinking of installing two subs, do I need to install another amp just for the subs? If so whats the easiest way to do it. I'm pretty sure its not safe to splice into my current wiring and make jumpers over to the second amp. What about my battery being drained? I read somewhere to get a capacitor and it would eliminate that problem. If anyone has done this, and can lend guidance, its appreciated.

Yes you will need another amp. Do you have a sup output on your deck? If so you can just jump the power off your other amp and then run audio cables from the sub output...

you will either need to add another amp, or you could jsut buy a 5 channel amp and run the 4 speakers off four channels, and then run the 21 subs off of the 5th channel. you would jsut need to run the subs in series to make them run off of just one channel.

if you decide to add a second amp, then you will need a power distribution block, a ground distribution block, jump the remote line from amp 1 to amp 2, and then if your 1st amp has an rca output just run an rca cable from the output of amp 1 to the rca input of amp 2.

a capacitor wouldnt be a bad idea either as the access power draw will cause some dimming in the electrical system. i would recommend atleast a 1 farag cap.

Yes you need a second amp. If you still have a stock head unit, you can either switch to an aftermarket unit, or go to a car stereo store and ask for a convertor that will allow you to plug in rca cables and still keep your stock head unit. As for the capacitor, its good if you have a lot of power being drained from your battery. When i had 2 15's and a 2,000 watt amp along with another 500 watt amp in my Explorer, it would hit so hard that while driving at night, it would dim my headlights. If you dont want your battery dead, just dont play your system while your truck is off.

you will either need to add another amp, or you could jsut buy a 5 channel amp and run the 4 speakers off four channels, and then run the 21 subs off of the 5th channel.  you would jsut need to run the subs in series to make them run off of just one channel.

if you decide to add a second amp, then you will need a power distribution block, a ground distribution block, jump the remote line from amp 1 to amp 2, and then if your 1st amp has an rca output just run an rca cable from the output of amp 1 to the rca input of amp 2.  

a capacitor wouldnt be a bad idea either as the access power draw will cause some dimming in the electrical system.  i would recommend atleast a 1 farag cap.
good info, thanks

Stevo I have just what you need, 2 infinity perfect 10 with a matching Memphis 1000 watt class D amp. The subs are in boxes fit for a chevy pickup extended cab. 300 for all of it plus shipping. let me know.

you would jsut need to run the subs in series to make them run off of just one channel.
Depends on the Amp.  

If he's got 4-ohm subs and an amp that's 2-ohm stable, he could parallel the subs...
well yea, that is true. i was jsut trying to cover the basics of making this system work. if the subs are 4 ohms a piece and the amp can handle the 2ohm load then by all means wire it that way. the subs will hit a hell of alot harder that way!

here is how to wire the sbs in parallel which would be preferred.....

parallel.gif

Stevo I have just what you need, 2 infinity perfect 10 with a matching Memphis 1000 watt class D amp. The subs are in boxes fit for a chevy pickup extended cab. 300 for all of it plus shipping. let me know.
I dont think the box will work because I have a F150 HD Edition, buckets in the back, so I will have to get custom made boxes, but thanks

First it all depends on your current amp wattage and ohm loads. I have a 4 channel amp running my whole system. The amp is an Audiobahn A4125hct and it is 1 Ohm stable. I have the front and rear speakers on 2 channels and the 2-12" Kickers bridged on the other 2 channels. It all depends on the amp and what you are looking for. Oh yeah you can buy a RCA converter if you are using the factory deck it wires in to the factory harness on one side and produces RCA's on the other. If you are going with 2 amps you can buy distribution blocks for your power and ground cables. You might want to buy a deep cycle Optima battery or a capacitor so your lights don't dim with the BASS.

Or you can buy a Rockford Power 1000 5-channel amp and be done with it. A friend of mine has one and I might make the change to my system.

I am moving to the new stackable alpine PDX amps and selling my Memphis amps. I like the way the PDX's look stacked on top of each other for a really clean install.

as for if you need 2 amps or not depends on your installation application area. So if you have enough room there are amps out there that are 5 channel with built in sub amp or you can use a 4 channel bridgeable or use 2 amps. ust depends on what you want.

First it all depends on your current amp wattage and ohm loads. I have a 4 channel amp running my whole system. The amp is an Audiobahn A4125hct and it is 1 Ohm stable. I have the front and rear speakers on 2 channels and the 2-12" Kickers bridged on the other 2 channels. It all depends on the amp and what you are looking for. Oh yeah you can buy a RCA converter if you are using the factory deck it wires in to the factory harness on one side and produces RCA's on the other. If you are going with 2 amps you can buy distribution blocks for your power and ground cables. You might want to buy a deep cycle Optima battery or a capacitor so your lights don't dim with the BASS.
I currenty have a Pioneer 4-channel amp already wired and would prefer not to install another, what wattage do you recommend, I currently have a 600w but could sell it and purchase another with more wattage, Im limited on space as it is, a wiring diagram would be great
whistling.gif
, thanks for the info

Back