Can't believe it.... 2 hours

Dennis The Menace

Donating Member
Registered
Did the first oil change on my Busa last night. I have put 2000km in the month
and a bit I have had it. Plus it was time to put it away for the season.

The white crap is falling a little already.

This is the second time I have had a ***** of a time getting a crushed washer off a Suzuki. The first time I did an oil change on my DR650, I scratched the flat surface on the bolt trying to get the washer off. Is it possible both pant loads that owned my prevous bikes didn't know why you only torque the drain plug a certian amount? Or are the like that all the time? If so can I switich to a differnet style of washer?
Like the aluminum flat Honda ones?

Also, it was quite the smoke show from the oil on the header pipes after.

if ya put some aluminum foil over the header pipes the oil will just run right off and ur garage wont look like a scene out of a cheech and chong movie.....
cool.gif

My crush washer is the same way. That's the way it was from the factory. Luckily I didn't try taking it off the plug until I checked the parts bag. I asked for a new one from the parts guy and he throws what I thought was the right one in the bag. Turned out to be a regular washer. The response when I called. "Oh, we didn't have any of the ones that were listed in stock. I thought that one would fit." Nice... I just reused the original one. It hasn't leaked. Two oil changes so far. 1,500 miles since 10/8. 35 degrees F yesterday. Twas a little chilly riding...
When my bike is on the kickstand, the oil goes down between the header pipes. I only get a little on a pipe when I take the filter out. A good wipe and it barely smokes (oil burning off pipe) after start up. I like the foil idea.

Here are some tips....

1. Yes on the foil on the headers, it is a must do.
2. Use a flat Honda scrunch ring (washer). They come right off every time.
3. Practice. Each time you do it you will get faster.

Good luck up there in the Great White North.... Good Day, ehy?

P.

cool.gif

Here are some tips....

1. Yes on the foil on the headers, it is a must do.
2. Use a flat Honda scrunch ring (washer).  They come right off every time.
3. Practice.  Each time you do it you will get faster.

Good luck up there in the Great White North.... Good Day, ehy?  

P.

cool.gif
I actually think I had some of the honda ones left from my last bike.

I know it'll get faster. Used to do the Honda in no time.

oh ya.

take of you hoser.
laugh.gif

not much reason to pry those washers off... I do not think I have ever replaced one...

try doing the oil change with an HMF exhaust...sonsobiotches.

I got header wrap to, if I miss or the foil fudges up somewhere it soaks in and smokes forever.

Way to much frustration, why the hell don't they make the oil filter feed screw a bit shorter...maybe I could acutally get the filter out without loosening the headers (not to mention the oil cooler line)

Btw---I never could my crush washer off from the factory...still original after 18,000 miles...no leaks whatsoever. I quit worrying about it a few changes ago.

I change the washer every time. Once in a while, they're a bit tough to get off. A couple of times, I've had to cut 'em off.

Never have any problems with mine, either.

From fairing off to filter changed to new oil in to checking for leaks to fairing back on, about 35 minutes, taking my time to get it right.

Fun stuff, eh?!

--Wag--

You guys change the washer
rock.gif
?......

Two hours
rock.gif
?.......I guess you got a nap in also.........

rock.gif

I fabbed up a drain ramp for the oil from the filter. I made it out of .032 aluminum and it just lays over the header pipes and feeds into a drain pan. Doing it this way keeps oil off my header pipes and makes it a nice and clean job. As for the washer, I always replace them. If it's a pain to get off the plug I just cut it and remove it.

Back