Cancel culture

Bumblebee

Donating Member
Registered
We are living in an age of cancel culture where nothing is sacred or immune to this.

Here in Canada our founding father and first Prime Minister is being cancelled, streets and buildings in his name are being renamed, statues are being torn down because of his part in re-education and perceived atrocities against our indigenous people.....in my opinion as he is a national icon and therefore his brand is a national entity, all actions against his legacy should be made on a national scale in the form of a national referendum and not done by individuals behind closed doors.

If the majority of the people say his legacy stands, that is what should be until the next national referendum down the road.

This is one of many such incidents where our national identity is being changed and is a shock to the majority of the citizens....our national anthem recently had a change in lyrics....no referendum was launched, it was done quietly behind closed doors...landmarks and historical buildings/streets and the like are all coming under attack and are being renamed in an alarming rate all with zero input of the Canadian citizens except very small minorities.

It makes me wonder what is deemed sacred and protected these days....in my estimation, nothing is no longer protected and everything is subject to be scrutinized and compared to the standards of today.....which we all know will change over time and the cycle of cancel culture will continue on.

We could delve into almost anything with a name assigned and find some sort of skeleton in the person's history which would negate their eligibility to have anything named after them....Henry Ford was a NAZI sympathizer.....Volkswagen was founded by the NAZIs and Hitler himself commissioned the first car made by them....

Why haven't these been cancelled? I believe one day they will be....

And the list of potential candidates to cancel goes on and on....

In order to prepare for this, there should be no names associated with anything. only numbers and letters or very generic words...no names or words that can be associated with a name...

We are living in an age of cancel culture where nothing is sacred or immune to this.

Here in Canada our founding father and first Prime Minister is being cancelled, streets and buildings in his name are being renamed, statues are being torn down because of his part in re-education and perceived atrocities against our indigenous people.....in my opinion as he is a national icon and therefore his brand is a national entity, all actions against his legacy should be made on a national scale in the form of a national referendum and not done by individuals behind closed doors.

If the majority of the people say his legacy stands, that is what should be until the next national referendum down the road.

This is one of many such incidents where our national identity is being changed and is a shock to the majority of the citizens....our national anthem recently had a change in lyrics....no referendum was launched, it was done quietly behind closed doors...landmarks and historical buildings/streets and the like are all coming under attack and are being renamed in an alarming rate all with zero input of the Canadian citizens except very small minorities.

It makes me wonder what is deemed sacred and protected these days....in my estimation, nothing is no longer protected and everything is subject to be scrutinized and compared to the standards of today.....which we all know will change over time and the cycle of cancel culture will continue on.

We could delve into almost anything with a name assigned and find some sort of skeleton in the person's history which would negate their eligibility to have anything named after them....Henry Ford was a NAZI sympathizer.....Volkswagen was founded by the NAZIs and Hitler himself commissioned the first car made by them....

Why haven't these been cancelled? I believe one day they will be....

And the list of potential candidates to cancel goes on and on....

In order to prepare for this, there should be no names associated with anything. only numbers and letters or very generic words...no names or words that can be associated with a name...
Don't worry it gets worse. Here they cancel out anything that existed during slavery.

But get funding and praise for erecting sites depicting the history of slavery.

1702913732398.gif

We sympathize with you. Now you know how we feel when history is erased.

The city of Toronto is broke, currently begging both the provincial and federal governments for funding to continue providing basic services to its citizens... but it has money for this:

The city of Toronto is broke, currently begging both the provincial and federal governments for funding to continue providing basic services to its citizens... but it has money for this:

Idiocy at it's best.....

Canada wasn't even a country when there was slavery here and 2/3s of slaves were indigenous peoples....Britain banned slavery in 1833...

Last edited:
View attachment 1674440
We sympathize with you. Now you know how we feel when history is erased.
The war between the states did nothing to unify the US as a country but rather created a deep seated rift.....

Something like that needs to be remembered but not revered...

Much like the war of 1812 between the US and what would become Canada, it should be remembered but not celebrated....

And remembering such things in museums is a fine place to do so.....

We wore a pin on our dress uniforms that had a maple leaf and 1812 on it....I wanted really badly to refuse to wear it and often voiced my dismay with having to do so...I told one of our generals that it is a disgrace to wear such a pin that commemorates a war with our closest neighbor and ally....

. . . We wore a pin on our dress uniforms that had a maple leaf and 1812 on it....I wanted really badly to refuse to wear it and often voiced my dismay with having to do so...I told one of our generals that it is a disgrace to wear such a pin that commemorates a war with our closest neighbor and ally....
How did that go for you Bill?
Were you 'disciplined' . . . or ignored?
Isn't a soldier's job to shut up, stop complaining and do as you're ordered?

How did that go for you Bill?
Were you 'disciplined' . . . or ignored?
Isn't a soldier's job to shut up, stop complaining and do as you're ordered?
I was a Sgt-Major at the time and he agreed with me but our orders came from higher and even though he went to higher, in the end the politicians won as we had a weak Chief of Defense Staff at the time and the politicians ran rough-shod over him.

Our military is trained to enable our troops to be free thinkers and at times questioning certain orders is not only expected but encouraged as it keeps everyone honest......there are times when orders must be followed without question though....

Is it really erased or do we chose as a society not to celebrate pro slavery individuals with statues and plaques? Events are still documented in books for the dwindling mass that read.
Mostly EVERYONE who founded this country was pro-slavery. Shall we erase Washington? Jefferson? Rename New York since the Duke of York owned the Dutch East Indies trading company which transported more slaves than all southerners ever owned combined? Or do we just let them focus on southerners and act like they were the only ones?
Robert E Lee’s contributions to the country and its military along with tactics still used are far greater than him living in a time of slavery.
The cancel culture wants to rename bases, schools, streets and all else down here yet completely ignore their own yankee involvement in the slave trade. It’s hypocrisy at its finest. Yet ALL of it IS our history and should not be erased or forgotten.

Mostly EVERYONE who founded this country was pro-slavery. Shall we erase Washington? Jefferson? Rename New York since the Duke of York owned the Dutch East Indies trading company which transported more slaves than all southerners ever owned combined? Or do we just let them focus on southerners and act like they were the only ones?
Robert E Lee’s contributions to the country and its military along with tactics still used are far greater than him living in a time of slavery.
The cancel culture wants to rename bases, schools, streets and all else down here yet completely ignore their own yankee involvement in the slave trade. It’s hypocrisy at its finest. Yet ALL of it IS our history and should not be erased or forgotten.
Slavery was an accepted part of life during the Washington Lincoln Jefferson years, and the question of the morality or legality was never posed until later. When that time came, Lee fell decidedly on the the side of pro slavery. You're wrong to say that people ignore their ancestral involvement with slavery. That is why you see the changes. What's hypocritical is to claim to not be racist but involve yourself in ceremony by accepting the existence of said staues.

Last edited:
Slavery was an accepted part of life during the Washington Lincoln Jefferson years, and the question of the morality or legality was never posed until later. When that time came, Lee fell decidedly on the the side of pro slavery. You're wrong to say that people ignore their ancestral involvement with slavery. That is why you see the changes. What's hypocritical is to claim to not be racist but involve yourself in ceremony by accepting the existence of said staues.
You’re right and so was he.
Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.
George Orwell, 1984

Wow you quote one of my favorite books. Going with the "way it's always been" is hardly justification. Our country's history is not erased in any way, it's documented and easily accessable. It's the acceptance of status quo that's challenged, and that is a big underlying point of the book. Take about irony.

Last edited:
@Red05

Robert E Lee was married to George Washington's granddaughter. He worked with Grant during the Mexican-American war and became a decorated war hero defending this country He believed slavery was a great evil and his wife broke the law by teaching slaves to read and write.
After the civil war he worked with Andrew Johnson's program of reconstruction. He became very popular with the northern states and the Barracks at West Point were named in his honor in 1962. He was a great man who served this country his entire life in some form or other.
His memorial is now being called a blight. No American military veteran should be treated as such. People keep yelling, "You can't change history." Sadly you can. This is no better than book burnings. ISIS tried rewriting history by destroying historical artifacts. Is that really who we want to emulate?
As they tear down this "blight" keep these few historical facts in your mind. No military veteran and highly decorated war hero should ever be treated as such. This is not Iraq and that is not a statue of Sadam.

IN ADDITION:: Lee was also very torn about the prospect of the South leaving the Union. His wifes grandfather George Washington was a huge influence on him. He believed that ultimately, states rights trumped the federal government and chose to lead the Southern army.
His estate, Arlington, near Washington DC was his home and while away fighting the war, the federal government demanded that Lee himself pay his taxes in person. He sent his wife but the money was not accepted from a woman.
When he could not pay the taxes, the government began burying dead Union soldiers on his land. The government is still burying people there today. It is now called Arlington National Cemetery. DO THEY WANT TO TEAR THAT UP ALSO ??

Blanca, you describe Lee as a great man; his racist views notwithstanding I suppose? He deemed blacks as less than until the end, and his actions, much stronger than words, enlisting blacks to defeat the north and thus stopping the abolishment of slavery tells a much clearer story. Much different than the rosy picture you paint. You and Tom can so easily look past racism when measuring a man’s character, or maybe you don’t study our history that you defend so vehemently.

Last edited:
Blanca, you describe Lee as a great man; his racist views notwithstanding I suppose? He deemed blacks as less than until the end, and his actions, much stronger than words, enlisting blacks to defeat the north and thus stopping the abolishment of slavery tells a much clearer story. Much different than the rosy picture you paint. You and Tom can so easily look past racism when measuring a man’s character, or maybe you don’t study our history that you defend so vehemently.
Lee was a much better man heart and soul than most of his counterparts. Sherman and Grant were monsters compared to him. Can you cite some of his thoughts referring them being less than…? Both sides refused and then used blacks to fight the other side. It was however the union that thought much less of them regarding military service.
It is now a terrible thing to judge them based on our views. How far back and to whom or what shall we say next were the ones who did it wrong? Now trying to remove the Reconciliation monument in Arlington for crying out loud. It’s been there for over a hundred years and now all the sudden has to go? No boolshit! It’s because a super loud small group of crybabies is suddenly offended by it or them and all others that never bothered anybody. Lee’s statue was in that roundabout for decades. Was never an issue until recently when the screaming mimis started. And what’s really upsetting is most who protest against these things don’t know sh!t from shynola about the people or things they cry over. They couldn’t even tell you WHEN the civil war happened or who these people are and where they fought or anything. Zip zero nada. Same dimwits who scream ‘from the river to the sea’ and when asked which ones they go ‘uhhh I dunno’.
Cancel culture is perceived outrage and not genuine. It’s spiteful and evil. How is society better because we removed some statues? We aren’t.

Actually, we are better without the statues. It is complete B.S. that those statues were memorials to men who fought for what they believed in. They were plain and simple threats erected decades after the Civil War to re-assert white supremacy. Those are the facts, stop making crap up.

Back