Can the VIN be determined from engine serial number?

Dennis

Registered
If I have the serial number of a Gen2 engine is there a way to relate this back to the VIN of the bike? Seems like there would be it isn't obvious to me.

Doubtful. Everything is on an assembly line, the frame comes along and a motor is picked and installed. There’s no conscious effort to match them. Somewhere in the middle of this, techs can pull a motor for testing as well. My 79 CBX for example was the 5,079th bike built but the motor was 35 numbers higher. Of course they were testing more than usual back then since the ‘production for sale’ design was new. In a late model Gen 2 though, you’d think that none of the motors would be pulled from the assembly line but again, I doubt there is any effort to match numbers.

No doubt Suzuki records what engine goes in what frame but probably doesn't share that data. It would be easy to pin-stamp the engine serial and print the VIN sticker at the station where they install the engine. Or read the engine serial number and print the label, etc. Was hoping someone knew how to cross reference them. A few things have changed since 1979.

No doubt Suzuki records what engine goes in what frame but probably doesn't share that data. It would be easy to pin-stamp the engine serial and print the VIN sticker at the station where they install the engine. Or read the engine serial number and print the label, etc. Was hoping someone knew how to cross reference them. A few things have changed since 1979.
be easy dennis… some people have to wait on that ssi check to arrive and "other" sources as well.

someday I hope to collect a ssi check.... maybe.... but probably not... I cant reasonably expect to make 65......

I bought an engine on Ebay that is not in the condition described. It has rusty mud on top of two pistons. It was supposed to be a good running engine which would mean internals are good for my planned race engine. I would like to link it to a VIN to see what the reason was the bike was totaled. It came from Texas so who knows, maybe it was a flood bike. Ebay and PP both told me since I took the head off they won't do anything. Of course if I didn't take it off I wouldn't be able to prove it wasn't as described. If I had installed it wanting to use it stock I would be very disappointed and wouldn't be able to prove anything.

I bought an engine on Ebay that is not in the condition described. It has rusty mud on top of two pistons. It was supposed to be a good running engine which would mean internals are good for my planned race engine. I would like to link it to a VIN to see what the reason was the bike was totaled. It came from Texas so who knows, maybe it was a flood bike. Ebay and PP both told me since I took the head off they won't do anything. Of course if I didn't take it off I wouldn't be able to prove it wasn't as described. If I had installed it wanting to use it stock I would be very disappointed and wouldn't be able to prove anything.
u admitted u took the head off? damn..... cant u just send it back and halt paypal?

dennis.. any info on the seller.... u wanna post up.... we all deserve to know who the crooks are.... maybe we can help....

I'm doing the appeal with PP now. I'll advise when I'm done. I'm not saying he is a crook. Maybe it got rained in after he tested it. Don't know. I just know what I got. Seller says I'm a scammer ...

I'm doing the appeal with PP now. I'll advise when I'm done. I'm not saying he is a crook. Maybe it got rained in after he tested it. Don't know. I just know what I got. Seller says I'm a scammer ...
lol.... wow... u think he didn't know?

Back