Can anyone diagnose my '99 Copper's symptoms?

84Ninja

Registered
Hi guys. Just pulled the Busa out for riding (Yes, just now!). It started it up nicely, but I remember that it has always smelled STRONGLY of asbestos from the cockpit area just as you start it up from cold. I have to waft the area with my hand so as to not breath it. I also notice at the same time that the RPMs increase when I pull in the clutch when its warming up. I'm not sure if the two are related, but when the bike warms up to full op temp, no smell or RPM variation when idling. I have never abused the bike, but the two previous owners may have! Thanks if you can shed some light on what may be going on,

Kurt

99 Copper is natorious for this problem.

There is no cure, You might as well get rid of it as fast as you can the asbestos smell is toxic and will kill you, Only thinking of your well being, I will take it off your hands at no cost. Seeing how your a fellow ORG Bretherin I will even give you $1000.00 so that you can put a down payment on another bike. I know my generousity has gotten me into trouble before but helping out another ORG member just fees right.

As for the problem :dunno:

First you need to locate the smell area (as in, is something burning) by taking off the plastic and then starting it up from cold. Take the Air Cleaner off and then just start looking AND smelling. Once you can locate the odor area, it's just a trace and locate thing. It might be anything from over filled oil, to old sealent material that is coming apart and touching the header pipes. :beerchug:

HA! Its probly carboned up! Take it out and quit babying it. They like a good thrashin now and again!

Why not try and tape the clutch lever in the operated position and start it up from cold and see if it still smells?

if it has stock cans don't worry about it...I got a 99 here and it's 100% stock and has smelt that way since customer brought it..go ride..

Thank you guys very much. It is a bit of a dilemma, but it doesn't seem to affect normal riding.
Thank you, DaCol- Will try this.. sounds like this will uncover the mystery of the smell.

Thanks Strife! Will check this too. (I forgot about that thread!- getting old! thanks)

Mike- Great recomm! Will give it a shot, thanks.

Golden-That's good to hear :) Thanks

One other thing I noticed. I just took it out again to wash it (I'm in love again!). When the clutch is let out in neutral, I can hear a kind of very mild sounding "clacking" noise and the rpms drop ever so slightly. I remember my mechanic test rode it a while back after I got my new tires on and he was perplexed as to what was going on with the noise/feeling after I alerted him to it. I'm not going to worry about it anymore unless it gets worse!

Thanks again guys, I appreciate it!

Back