camcorder mount?

fast1200gp

Registered
just got a new harddisk camcorder for xmas anyone have the link for different tank mounting brackets? i saw one on here a few months ago thanks and happy holidays

I'd be VERY careful - maybe even skeptical - using a harddisk cam on a motorcycle. If a hardrdive is jolted while it's writing (or accessing) information it can be damaged. That's why police vehicles use RAM and JOTTO mounts which absorb the energy from bumps.

(fast1200gp @ Dec. 25 2006,11:09) anyone use a harddisk cam on a bike?          
 Big george what if i use a good mount?  any options?
BIG is right i havent heard good things about using a hard disk on a bike the shaking will destroy it its best to use a sony digital video cassette camera

the shaking of any mount on any camera over time will beat your camera up but the disk type wont last long

DO NOT USE A HARD DRIVE OR DVD CAMCORDER ON A MOTORCYCLE. Most of them are self protecting and will turn themselves off before the heads hit the media. But you aren't going to get any video out of them because they will be shutting down all the time. And if the safty doesn't respond fast enough, you will damage the camcorder.

Buy ANY low priced miniDV camcorder to use on your bike. Spend $149 on a basic minidv cam and $30 on a wide angle lens and you'll get good results.

The ONLY difference between miniDV cams that drives the price are the options. MiniDV is pretty much the same quality for every cam - except for minidv with a 3CCD chip. They will all give you DVD qualiy, they all have a firewire port to transfer the video to your PC, and they will all have the ability to be mounted.

Merry Christmas!

(fast1200gp @ Dec. 25 2006,11:09) anyone use a harddisk cam on a bike?          
 Big george what if i use a good mount?  any options?
I once used a harddisk cam on busa , can't record from the vibrations , it was Sony's HandyCam with 60GB harddrive ...

I learn something on this site everyday! You guys are awesome!
beerchug.gif

I should have mentioned that I use a MiniDV player... ni hard drive device should be used, DVD Cam - IPOD - etc...

Dang! Wish I knew before I bought the cam. All that money for nothing, guess I will have to just walk around and video everyone else
firedevil.gif

As everyone else mentioned, don't even think about using anything with a hard disk (microdrive). Look at one the wrong way and it'll stop working. I bought a 2.2 GB microdrive for my PDA and the first time it took a 3' drop onto carpet it stopped working. Sent it back for replacement. Year later it dropped from the console to the floor of my truck and that one died. I'm now a firm believer in CF and SD cards.

Few weeks ago I bought an Aiptek camera at Best Buy for $89 on sale. It takes incredible videos at 30 fps and uses SD memory cards. I can store about 1 hours worth of VGA video on a 1 GB card which now costs less than $15 bucks at places like Office Max. Batteries are not an issue either since it comes with a rechargeable lithium ion pack.
It can also record tv shows and movies from any video source so that you can watch them back later on its built in swivel color screen. Takes true 5 Megapixel photos (has 8 megapixel enhancement too). And it also has a really nice stereo MP3 player function.

There's a guy on ebay selling a nice heavy duty tank mount. It arrived in 2 days and had all needed mounting hardware including the thumb screw that screws into the camera base.

Ebay Link

Mount with my camera attached:

camera1.jpg

I have had great results with my Sony MiniDV and the neighbors DVD cam would not record anything worthwhile. MiniDV all the way, besides I think it's easier to edit, I think the software options are better.

(Turbo-Torch @ Dec. 26 2006,00:16) There's a guy on ebay selling a nice heavy duty tank mount.  It arrived in 2 days and had all needed mounting hardware including the thumb screw that screws into the camera base.
I purchased the same mount. Very good deal, fast shipping, and the mount is a quality product for less than $30. I recommend it 100%.

Glad I read this post... looking at cameras and was looking real hard a harddrive because of the size... now I will go back and look at the ones that use memory cards..

Thanks again... this sight is just an awesome source of information.

im looking into the SONY DCR-HC96 MiniDV HandyCam Camcorder anyone have any input,,,i got a jvc 30gb harddisk for xmas but gonna exchange for the sony mini dv,.,,,any tips? or thoughts,,,,

big george that ebay $30 mount is the way to go?? is it high enough?

Back