By far the coolest paint I've seen so far -

Leatherneck

Registered
Not sure if this paint has already been posted about but here it is. It's made by the ALSA Corp. over in Vernon, Ca and it changes colors when heat is applied to it. I believe its around 75 degrees is when the color changes. Comes in two different types Black to White and Blue to White. To acheive a color change to something other than white all you have to do is throw a Candy Color paint on top of it before you seal it. I am definitely going to get this on my bike and either have hayabusa factory logo's custom painted where they should be in Black or I'll Just put the stickers on but I can only imagine the effect to be nothing short of AWESOME :)
[video=youtube_share;vs7XKwz-y0k]http://youtu.be/vs7XKwz-y0k[/video]

This is cool..I can tell people who come over that if they pee on my toilet seat Ill know it:rofl:

If you wanted to play with the stuff but at a much reduced cost, check out this site:

Thermochromic | Temperature change | pigments for the ultimate in color changing custom paint!

They also sell pearls and metallics to add to paint. Basically, the pigment turns clear, so it'll show the color underneath. You can really play around with what you want it to do. Add a pearl in and have the color change be more subtle. The big thing is that if you want to use these types of pigments, you need to make sure that the clearcoat has good UV protection as these pigments are destroyed by UV.

David

Yeah besides the fact that this baby would be staying in the garage when not in use but they also sell the sunscreen layer for uv protection. I figure I would leave the base color all white because even on hot days not all of the plastic is going to turn white so there will still be softening. Whats even cooler is on cold days the engine is going to warm the fairings up anyways so you can see the hayabusa logos. Imagine the look on your neighbors face when you bring the bike out into the hot sun and use the garden hose to clean her off :laugh:

Link or pics ?

I posted a youtube video up top of them using it on a sink - If you search on youtube you will find plenty of bikes/cars with the paint job but this was the one that could fully portray what its all about and still keep your interest lol.

Also had another question that I had forgot to put in earlier - About how many pints/qts would you need to do about four coats on all the fairings/ paintwork?

Depends on how good you are and what method you're applying it with. If using HVLP, a pint would coat all your fairings at least three coats (more possible). Usually three coats of color is enough along with a misting coat to even out flakes. If using a non-HVLP I don't know. You'll have more overspray and lose far more material. I painted several pieces of a Burgman 400 fairing (most of the bike) and I still had a third of a pint left after three coats of paint. This was also paint where you mix a reducer, so it's like getting twice the amount. I'm not familiar with the company you posted the video about. I imagine that Paint With Pearl is using the same pigment and it's far less expensive to get. You just add it to either a base coat or the clear.

I had a shirt that changed color with temperature when I was a kid...........

Yeah I've been thinking about how I'm gonna go about it and I'm pretty sure I am going to order a OEM set of decals to put on the fairings so that when its cool out you can barely see the 'racing stripes' but as soon as it warms up it really pops ;)

yea...that paint is awsome...but i REALLY like the militarys new paint they put on the stealth planes...

its is radar absorbing!!

Back