Busa won't stay running need advice

Busa1320

Registered
First off this site and all the people have been great. I ve learned a great deal about my bike from this place. I never new the busa thing was so big. I have an 03 busa I recently purchased ( at least most of it). I'm getting herback together slowly. When I bought her she had been stripped and only half together. Not running. I have most of it together now tried to crank yesterday, and it will crank but won't stay running. You have to keep it above 2000 rpm to keep her on. Then if you ride she is bucking real hard and cutting out. Go to shift it. It's off. I checked my air box for proper install. Rechecked all my vaccum lines. When she was running it was very rich. I was thinking map sensor possibly. I called a mechanic I recently met and he says CDI box. Another person I spoke with says if it was CDI it wouldn't start at all. I'm also wondering if it's just because I don't have mufflers for back pressure that r causing this. My bike is completely stock not even a power commander yet. I'm not new to bikes ( my second busa) but I am new to working on one. Guess maybe I should have saved longer and bought one ready to ride but tight budget. I ve only got $2100 in her now with 12 k miles and no signs of ever being down. Can't wait to ride been 2 years since I've been on a bike due to sky diving accident. But almost there. Hope to see some of you on the road. Thanks

very common problem with the busa. a majority of the time its going to be a fuel problem. start with injectors and fuel pump. these two items are known to get dirty causing fuel pressure problems. try 2 pm lucid or johnnycheese. they can probably help u narrow it down and find a fix.

May be you need new spark plugs.

How old is the battery?

I agree with firefighter check injectors and fuel pump etc.
You have to remove the fuel pump from the bottom of the tank. There is a small screen in there, check it out too.
Check the tank for sediment while you have that fuel pump out. Easiest way of course is to remove the tank. :banghead:

Thanks just bought new plugs on my way home. I'll check the fuel pump and injectors tonight and put in new plugs. Gas is new I'll check the tank for debris while fuel pump is out.

Fire / Fuel / Air. Mufflers missing isn't the issue. Air filter good ? Make sure that battery passes a load test. Running rich sounds more in line with Fire and Air brother.

Plugs are changed. Battery load tested and good. Fuel pump pulled checked in tank all looked good. Air filter cleaned and oiled ( k&n) made sure air box is on good. Injectors pulled and look good. Found two things will have to get picks tommorow. There is a small bracket on the left side with some sensors on it. One of them is missing a vaccine line and another line missing on small sensor on back bottom of the air box. Can't find any lines that are not hooked up. I'm sure this is probably the problem. Will get pics up tommorow.

Alright spent last couple hours working and reading manual and google and she runs perfect. Thanks everyone. All said and done combo between bad plugs and had some vaccum lines crossed. Maybe soon I'll have the rest put together and be ready for a ride.

Back