busa very uncomfortable...

FTMFW

Registered
so ive got a shoulder problem going on, the flexors or something with all the connector muscles are all pulled, and im on the recovery. i went riding saturday got caught in a bunch of traffic, about 4 hrs. total of riding mixed city/highway. got home, fell asleep at 8pm and woke up at 11 am crazy sore... i wont give up riding, and my last resort is switching to a roadstar or something. how can i make the busa more comfortable??? im thinkin gel seat, buell pegs, and as a last resort handlebar risers?? any suggestions??

A lot of guys get risers, changing the seat might help, the buell pegs...how tall are you?

Most here do all of the above just because they keep finding more ways to be comfy...others will chime in to give you a hand. :)

I think most mods depend on your body size, Buell pegs help if you are tall, the gel seat is better than stock, but I dont see how that would help your shoulder? For Me Heli-Bars are a MUST. I have all the mentioned on my 2008 Busa, and its much better than stock for me. I also have the tripple tree spaced up 1 inch and the front lowered that inch.
A few years ago I had a 2005 and 2006 Busa at the same time, (just bought one, was selling the other) the 06 had Heli Bars, the 05 didnt. Jumping from one to the other just to move them in the garage I couldn't believe the difference the Heli-bars made

it takes some time to adjust to a new bike like this... give it some time and miles... sort of a long day to start out however.. the muscles will build up and you will be fine I am sure..

You named most of the mods which people use to adjust the bike to their body type. Give 'em a try and see what happens.

Good luck, and :welcome:...

I must respond to this thread as I have had the complete opposite experience in changing bikes.
For the last year of riding my Bandit I had terrible pains in my wrists and thought I may have had carpel tunnel.
Almost to the day I started riding the Bus the pain subsided and is now nonexistent. After giving the Bandit to my wife she is now complaining about wrists pains after a long ride. I truly believe it is more of a bike position and vibration thing rather than just one over the other, I am more in a prone position now than I ever was on the Bandit and yet I am more comfortable than ever.
Many people (dealerships mainly) tried to convince me that I would not be okay with transition and I am glad I didn't listen to them.
Just my 2 cents
Bubba

Last edited:
You gotta adjust to the bike. I've ridden Busa's the last 5 yrs and every spring it's like I just bought the thing. It takes an honest 2 weeks of riding to adjust for me.

so ive got a shoulder problem going on, the flexors or something with all the connector muscles are all pulled, and im on the recovery. i went riding saturday got caught in a bunch of traffic, about 4 hrs. total of riding mixed city/highway. got home, fell asleep at 8pm and woke up at 11 am crazy sore... i wont give up riding, and my last resort is switching to a roadstar or something. how can i make the busa more comfortable??? im thinkin gel seat, buell pegs, and as a last resort handlebar risers?? any suggestions??

Hydrocodone! You won't feel a thing.

Like Bubba, I rode a bandit for years then to the 1250 bandit but also rode a GSXR 750 with heli bars. Little discomfort with the GSXR and about the same for bandit, but I have had my Busa now for a week and have put 500 miles on it and it just keeps getting better all the time.
I am short and the riding position feels right for me, very little getting used too compared to the two bikes I came from.

Riding position is key especially on long hauls. Squeezing the tank with your knees and making an effort to use your abs vs. having all the weight on your right hand will help tremendously. At Interstate speeds I just lay down on that nice big tank :laugh:

Quit leaning all your weight on your hands, sit up and don't slouch. You should only have light contact with the handlebars. No matter what bike you get, if you are doing this, it will cause the problems you mentioned.

Since getting my bike last fall, and coming from a long line of UJM's (standard bikes), I've considered Helibars as my first comfort mod. Initially, I thought I woudn't be able to keep the bike without comfort mods, but as of this past weekend, I was able to ride 150 mile round trip without much issue whereas initially I was barely able to ride 20 miles before discomfort would start to set in. As far as I can tell and based on the advice and feedback from folks here on the .org, the improvement is due to the following:

1) Thinking about and applying different techniques in terms of riding position that include:
a) Gripping the tank more tightly with knees which provides support for using...
b) Abs/back to carry upper body weight which...
c) Relieves weight/tension/stress from the shoulders, arms and wrists

2) Riding time/conditioning. The more I ride the Hayabusa, the more my body adjusts to it. It's much like playing a sport...after the first practice you're sore all over and can barely walk for a week but by the end of the season you barely notice any effect at all from playing the day before.

Another thing that good riders will preach is maintaining good overall shape. Riding is a very physical activity, especially on sport bikes such as ours. Being in good shape isn't a requisite but it will benefit the rider during the ride.

At this point, I'm still considering comfort mods, but I don't feel that I NEED them to enjoy the bike. That said, I will probably eventually do the following:

Helibars, more comfy seat, higher windscreen and possibly a peg mod.

Best of luck!

If your shirt sleeves are 34" or less get some heli-bars or risers. Riding slow and downhill is the toughest for me and I have 37" arms. Otherwise the Busa fits me just fine.

I'm 6'-0", and a gel seat and buell pegs worked wonders for me... 2.5 to 3 hours of straight riding is no prob at all... :thumbsup:

Back