'Busa true top speed

NightCrawler

Love all. Trust a few. Do wrong to none.
Donating Member
Registered
Most of us agree that the speedometer is not very accurate on any sportbike including the 'Busa. So I was wondering when a present-day stock 'Busa is maxed out at the indicated 186mph, what is the actual speed?

GPS anyone?

smileyexhibit.gif

Do you want true top speed without the limiter or with the limiter...?

Without the limiter... 194 is highly possible... (depends altitude, wind, weight of rider, etc...) Some days you may get 190+ and some days you may not...
biggrin.gif

If you are talking with the limiter... not sure...

Need a good place to host a video. I could kinda give you an idea of what my mediocre Busa will do. It's downright slow compared to many on here, but.............

Got some pretty cool footage of another member & myself out in the sticks at decent speeds.

I HIT IT TODAY!!!! I will add another topic with pics and stuff, but here is the conclusion:
In FLORIDA... elevation - like a couple of feet
tounge.gif
temperature - high 70's low 80's, BEAUTIFUL day!
Pretty much stock 2005 (Carbon Fiber Yoshimura Bolt-ons and marble mod) WITHOUT TRE:
Indicated 185 - GPS about 164 (the speedometer only goes up to 185mph but the revs keep going up)
I hit the limiter at exactly 10,500 rpms... I held it there for a LOOOONG time.... about 20 seconds (with the revs at 10,500).... GPS Speed = 182 mph IT WOULD NOT GO FASTER!

I stopped on the side of the road, popped the tank, and installed Ivan's Smart TRE (the blue one):
MAX SPEED: 188mph GPS - at 10,800 rpms. it would NOT go above 10,800 rpms (a couple of hairs before redline in 6th gear)

Now, something odd I noticed... in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th, I could go PAST 11,000 RPMS (a little past the red line), but in 6th, I was still limited to 10,800. Ivan's TRE DID allow me to pass the 10,500rpm limit (when you hit it, you feel it... you feel the power comming in and out, in and out, and the rev needle stays dead on @ 10,500rpms)

Conclusion:
Restricted - 182mph @ 10,500 rpms
Unrestricted - 188mph @ 10,800 rpms

Now all you guys can say what you want, but I JUST did this TODAY, and this is what I got... With stock gearing (what I have) I can't see the bike hitting 200mph (Unless you can go waaay past the red line). Also, it's not that my bike lacks power, because I was hitting the right RPMS... If I was lacking power, I wouldn't be able to hit 10,800rpms in 6th... Therefore, with stock gearing, unrestricted, an 05 will do 188mph (OVER 300 KPH!!!!! IT'S STILL CRAZY!!!)

Yeah cool, you have more bawls than I do. So about how long total did it take to get to max speed? How did it feel?
biggrin.gif

Congrats!

I have personally done exactly 186 GPS indicated at 10,500RPM. The thing is the speedo was at 186 when I shifted into 6th gear. This is what I witnessed on mine but it kept pulling clear to 10500RPM. Another thing is that I have a full yosh exhaust and reprogrammed the ECM but even with the extra power it will not go any faster. Now if I did like Ninja and installed a TRE it could have gone faster but I don't see the need in one.

Say what you want but this is what I have done and witnessed myself. The wierd thing is if you have ever hit the speed limiter you can actually feel it it pulls real good right up to 10500 and then it feels like it hits a wall and won't rev out anymore no matter how long you hold it there that is it. Still too fast for public roads but I still did it at least once.

Yeah cool, you have more bawls than I do.   So about how long total did it take to get to max speed?  How did it feel?
biggrin.gif

Congrats!
You don't really understand that this can be done in less than 1 mile to 1 1/2 miles at the most, this bike is totally unbelievable on how fast it accelerates. I can't even imagine a turbo bike.
I would have to do it again to measure the distance to make sure. maybe Ninja can help with this one. All I know is make sure you have a really long straight with no tunr offs or intersecting roads.

Where are you guys finding the space to make these runs? I wonder how much land is covered to reach top speed, does anyone know? I really want to try it on my bike but I will need to carefully plan it out because there are just too many troopers on the highways in my area.

I havn't tried it yet, but I've heard the busa can go from 0 to top end in less than a mile.

I have bumped the rev limiter in 6th...all I can say about that is don't blink or you'll miss something.

Kansas has a lot of long straight roads. I would not reccommend it but one day you will find the right place and the right time to hold it there. Like i said I can get to full speed and then come to a complete stop in roughly 2 miles. I would have to go back to the area I did it to be accurate in that statement but I am pretty close.

I HIT IT TODAY!!!! I will add another topic with pics and stuff, but here is the conclusion:
In FLORIDA... elevation - like a couple of feet
tounge.gif
 temperature - high 70's low 80's, BEAUTIFUL day!
Pretty much stock 2005 (Carbon Fiber Yoshimura Bolt-ons and marble mod) WITHOUT TRE:
Indicated 185 - GPS about 164 (the speedometer only goes up to 185mph but the revs keep going up)
I hit the limiter at exactly 10,500 rpms... I held it there for a LOOOONG time.... about 20 seconds (with the revs at 10,500).... GPS Speed = 182 mph IT WOULD NOT GO FASTER!

I stopped on the side of the road, popped the tank, and installed Ivan's Smart TRE (the blue one):
MAX SPEED: 188mph GPS - at 10,800 rpms. it would NOT go above 10,800 rpms (a couple of hairs before redline in 6th gear)

Now, something odd I noticed... in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th, I could go PAST 11,000 RPMS (a little past the red line), but in 6th, I was still limited to 10,800. Ivan's TRE DID allow me to pass the 10,500rpm limit (when you hit it, you feel it... you feel the power comming in and out, in and out, and the rev needle stays dead on @ 10,500rpms)

Conclusion:
Restricted    - 182mph @ 10,500 rpms
Unrestricted - 188mph @ 10,800 rpms

Now all you guys can say what you want, but I JUST did this TODAY, and this is what I got... With stock gearing (what I have) I can't see the bike hitting 200mph (Unless you can go waaay past the red line). Also, it's not that my bike lacks power, because I was hitting the right RPMS... If I was lacking power, I wouldn't be able to hit 10,800rpms in 6th...  Therefore, with stock gearing, unrestricted, an 05 will do 188mph (OVER 300 KPH!!!!! IT'S STILL CRAZY!!!)
Informative....!!! I think you should be able to add a couple more miles to the top speed of you have full exhaust system!!
wink.gif

Where are you guys finding the space to make these runs?  I wonder how much land is covered to reach top speed, does anyone know?   I really want to try it on my bike but I will need to carefully plan it out because there are just too many troopers on the highways in my area.
the autobahn
Hit the limiter last Saturday but my gearing is 16/42
I guess I was somewhere between 170-177.
However the mph needle was pegged.

Back