Busa not running well

Paulbedders

Registered
I have a 2008 Gen 2 Busa and looking for a bit of advice. I took her out for a ride Friday afternoon to pick up a new helmet when the F1 light came on. The engine started to sound more like a Harley and the throttle response was very poor. The bike still rode but it didn't sound good at all. I stopped, turned off the engine and left it for a few minutes before starting it again. When starting her up she sounded fine and no F1 light. I rode off and a minute later the same thing happened. This time I stopped again at a gas station and filled her up, she was running pretty low. Again I started her up and again no F1 light and no problems. I picked up the helmet and rode back home, about 20 miles with no issues. Just want to add that I changed the fuel pump a week again for a new one, I done thing this is the problem. Any ideas?

Did you go back with a pen fuel pump? Have you checked your fuel pressure recently? Have you put it in dealer mode when the fi light came on?

And how meticulous were you with cleanliness when you did it?

Very meticulous. I checked the inside of the tank and there was no sign of any dirt or gunk. I'm pretty sure its not the fuel pump but hey, thats why I'm asking. I have just been out for a short ride and no problems. Still, it does concern me and want to eliminate all other reasons.

What symptoms led you to replace the fuel pump?

I thought that it was a fuel pump problem and it's a pretty quick fix, I have seen online folk with the same problem and it's been down to the fuel pump, I thought it would be a good idea to change it anyway.

So did you check out the fault code in dealer mode?
We are waiting . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . tick, tick, tick

Sorry for the wait, been at work. Just back from checking the codes and it comes up with C00. Completely staggered as its telling me there are no faults. Regardless I'm going top get something to clean the injectors, gonna do that after lunch.

It's good that you're cleaning the injectors, it can only help.
You really should replace the fuel filter if you haven't already, and check all electrical connections to the pump to be sure they are tight with good connection.
If the FI light comes on again try to get it in dealer mode while the light is still on, then you will see which code number it reads.
It sounds to me like its either ;
1) fuel pressure dropping due to a blockage, possibly clogged filter.
2) Fuel pressure dropping due to a bad electrical connection,
3) A fuel pressure regulator fault causing pressure to drop away,
4) One of the ignition coils failing when getting hot, restored when cooler.
5) A bad Ground connection somewhere in your ignition circuit. or fueling circuit.

So that's a few obvious things to check, that is where I would be looking first,
Good luck mate, let us know what you find.

Sorry for the wait, been at work. Just back from checking the codes and it comes up with C00. Completely staggered as its telling me there are no faults. Regardless I'm going top get something to clean the injectors, gonna do that after lunch.
If the FI light is not on, you will see C00. You will need to wait until the problem happens again, then put it in dealer mode with the FI light on and get the code before you kill the power to the bike.

If the FI light is not on, you will see C00. You will need to wait until the problem happens again, then put it in dealer mode with the FI light on and get the code before you kill the power to the bike.

Looks like i'll have to wait and see what happens. When I was in dealer mode the F1 light wasn't on, so I suppose I wouldn't have found out the fault.

It's good that you're cleaning the injectors, it can only help.
You really should replace the fuel filter if you haven't already, and check all electrical connections to the pump to be sure they are tight with good connection.
If the FI light comes on again try to get it in dealer mode while the light is still on, then you will see which code number it reads.
It sounds to me like its either ;
1) fuel pressure dropping due to a blockage, possibly clogged filter.
2) Fuel pressure dropping due to a bad electrical connection,
3) A fuel pressure regulator fault causing pressure to drop away,
4) One of the ignition coils failing when getting hot, restored when cooler.
5) A bad Ground connection somewhere in your ignition circuit. or fueling circuit.

So that's a few obvious things to check, that is where I would be looking first,
Good luck mate, let us know what you find.

Thanks for the advice. Ordered some sea foam yesterday and should arrive today. In addition to this I'm going to clean the throttle bodies, wash he air filter and change the plugs. I may as well get this done too.

Back