Busa Knock Threads

yamatech2003

Registered
I am new to the board and was actually just lurking. I couldn't help to notice the number of threads about strange knocking noises. I work as a tech in a multiline dealership and thought you guys should know that there are/were some problems with busas doing this. It seems to limited to 06 models from what I can tell, but no less than 6 times just this past summer customers came in complaining about a strange knock (especially when hot). We checked oil pressure (at 140F oil @4k RPM) and found that it was a little below the minimum in the spec.

After teardown we found that about half of them had improperly machine crankcases on the main journals (bored too big/beyond service limit) and the other few had the wrong sized main journal bearings in them (found by plasti-gauge).

Just though I would throw it out there, So far Suzuki has covered them all, but I'm not so sure you want to let your warranty run out before this rears its head. Most of the ones we have worked on were in the 4-8k mile range. If you hear a knock...check your oil pressure!

Really appreciate the info- especially since most techs say its normal. My warranty ran out Nov9, but I bought the extended- I am still trying to figure out how to attack the second gear "slip" that I have on my '06 with 12k on it. Any suggestions?

I think I'm having that second gear slip as well... but only when I'm running hard through second gear... I think it is f*d up...

Well, without riding your motorcycle, I can't really comment on the 2nd gear slip. I have noticed that the shift forks in these bikes are pretty weak/narrow and bend easily. If you do end up needing the dealer to go into your engine to deal with the knocks, it really wouldn't take them much to replace shift forks and such while in there...they actually remove and re-install them during the knock repair.

I think I'm having that second gear slip as well... but only when I'm running hard through second gear... I think it is f*d up...
Thats how mine started! a "slip" getting on it,around 8K
I really noticed the knock more today, after reading this post. Thats sortof good news that they can get to the gear issue, upon teardown for the knock.
Now I'll just wait till its too cold to ride- and take it in to the dealer.

Thats how mine started! a "slip" getting on it,around 8K
I really noticed the knock more today, after reading this post. Thats sortof good news that they can get to the gear issue, upon teardown for the knock.
Now I'll just wait till its too cold to ride- and take it in to the dealer.
Cam chain hack...15 minutes...try it...

thank you yamatech2003
bowdown.gif

i live in england and 6 months ago i brought a usa spec k6 busa brand new
the first time i rode the bike far enough to realy warm it up i heard a knocking noise in the engine
when i had stopped and blipped the throttle and the engine revs droped the knock would appear, its was not loud but there
when i mentioned this i was told that the busa engines are very noisey and this was one of their many noises
the bike has now done 2000 miles and the noise has got alot louder after you have done 5-10 miles you can stop and here and feel the noise even on tickover
i have a couple of questions
do suzuki recognize this as a official problem with an official response
if so are there engine numbers for the bad batch of crankcases
also where is the engine number
cheers for this thred
dave

Back