BUSA drag set up

daddy1

Registered
Ok guys and gals help a new 08 Busa guy get his bike set up for 1/4 mile drag racing but still be able to ride on the street and have fun on a twisty road.
Yeah I know, they say you can't have your cake and eat it too but I know someone out there has done this.
Lets start with what I would call the standard mods for just about every Busa owner:
Pipe, slip on or full system ( I did the yosh full).
PC 3 or 5 with map.
Lowering kit and strap.
Swing arm extensions are out as they kill the twisty road factor.

I have been running @ the strip all year and my best is 10.01 @ 147 with a 1.69 60 ft. Wheelies are a BIG problem.
I'm 6ft 220lbs. I have been ridding for 35 years. Raced motocros for 15 years and this is my 2nd year of drag racing.

What do ya got?

Extension really help with your 60fts imo. Have you lowered the rear, are played with your shock at all?
Ok guys and gals help a new 08 Busa guy get his bike set up for 1/4 mile drag racing but still be able to ride on the street and have fun on a twisty road.
Yeah I know, they say you can't have your cake and eat it too but I know someone out there has done this.
Lets start with what I would call the standard mods for just about every Busa owner:
PC 3 or 5 with map.
Lowering kit and strap.

I have been running @ the strip all year and my best is 10.01 @ 147 with a 1.69 60 ft. Wheelies are a BIG problem.
I'm 6ft 220lbs. I have been ridding for 35 years. Raced motocros for 15 years and this is my 2nd year of drag racing.

What do ya got?

To be honest; get ready to do 20 - 30 minutes work between the track and the street. You can't prepare a Busa for the track and go tear up the corners. Get risers or a top clamp and lower the front for the track and raise it back up for the street. Get a set of lowering links and drop the arse for the track and raise it for the street. Remove your mirrors for the track and put them back on for the street. Change your gearing for the track. practice, practice and more practice .....................

ysi408,
I have thought about the extensions but after ridding my buddies bike with them there is no way this will work for me on the street.Yes I did the 3 in down in the rear and have adjusted the rear shock to keep the bike feom squatting at liftoff.
Thanks.

dadotthree
Yeah, I just figured that out. Now that I have my head out of my a*** I posted it in the 1/4 mile side.
Thanks and by the way neat handel. I resemble that one also but mine are all gone except when we go to the drags. Son owns an 08 B-King and gives me a good run. My daughter just started and her 1st night went 10.7 on my girlfriends B-King. Guess I'm gona have trouble with her soon.
???

Keep it basic to start with. Besides loweirng, strap it, put it pipe and pc on it, do the clutch mod-cushion kit, and ride it hard !!!

Welcome to the ORG :welcome:
Good advice already given here, not possible to keep the same setup for street and strip.

It really depends on how serious you want to be at the drag strip, and how serious of a corner carver you want for the street. You can't have one Busa set up for both extremes. You can have a Busa that will do both fairly well, but you can't have an extreme drag Busa and expect it to be a massive corner-carver with a drag set up, and visa versa.

P.

ysi408,
I have thought about the extensions but after ridding my buddies bike with them there is no way this will work for me on the street.Yes I did the 3 in down in the rear and have adjusted the rear shock to keep the bike feom squatting at liftoff.
Thanks.

dadotthree
Yeah, I just figured that out. Now that I have my head out of my a*** I posted it in the 1/4 mile side.
Thanks and by the way neat handel. I resemble that one also but mine are all gone except when we go to the drags. Son owns an 08 B-King and gives me a good run. My daughter just started and her 1st night went 10.7 on my girlfriends B-King. Guess I'm gona have trouble with her soon.
???

Glad to hear it. Mine are grown and gone. The B-Kings are born of the Busa...

PC 3 or 5 with map.
Lowering kit and strap.

What do ya got?

im streched 9" with extensions, and it handles just as well as far as im concerned. not to mention once youve done it once or twice taking off extensions and going back to stock length should only take an hour or two..

i recommed -1 +2 sprockets, much more fun around town too. thats all ive got is those mods and tires, ive gone 9.7x at 137 with a 1.51 60'.....at 330lbs with me in gear LOL. vids to come as soon as i can figure out how to edit

ysi408,
Thanks.

You actually want some squat on the launch. You want it to squat some but not set really soft and for the shock to come back up slow. If the bike can not squat it is gonna try and come up for sure......

PC 3 or 5 with map.
Lowering kit and strap.

What do ya got?

Looks like you got the basics. If you want to take it a step further you can add a upper triple clamp so you can raise your fork tubes up through them and get the front lower. This will affect handling some depending on how low you go, but it doesnt take too long to put the front back to stock height. its only 6 bolts you have to loosen once the upper is on, so you can go from drag to hitting the curves. I had your same setup on my 08 but also lowered the front and was able to run 9.33's @ 154mph w/1.50 60's and i was over 240lbs suited and swb at the time. So get back to the strip and have some fun:thumbsup: Leave the stock gearing if your gonna stay at stock length, now if you want to add some length then Id suggest -1, +3 its what Im running now, but Im at 63".

Thanks for all the input (good stuff).
I am taking the day off today to make some of the changes posted (upper tripple clamp and shock set up for squat and rebound to start) and will be at our Wally race on Saturday.
We have a test and tune tonight but only 2 hours and temp is only 50 so track will be a little on the slick side.

I'll let everyone know how it goes.
Thanks again.
:thumbsup:

It really depends on how serious you want to be at the drag strip, and how serious of a corner carver you want for the street. You can't have one Busa set up for both extremes. You can have a Busa that will do both fairly well, but you can't have an extreme drag Busa and expect it to be a massive corner-carver with a drag set up, and visa versa.

P.

correct!

Back