Help setting up Gen 2 suspension for drag racing

spooledup

Registered
I am new to drag racing motorcycles and I need help understanding and setting up the suspension. I am planning on running it tomorrow and wanted to set up the suspension a little before I go. I want to have a general understanding of how changes affect it so I can start trying to figure it out.

My bike is a 2008 Hayabusa stock wheel base (measured about 59 inches) I have a lowering link on the middle setting. I am also going to be strapping the front end. I weight about 195-200 in gear and about 5' 8'' height. I am also at a high elevation (5600 feet with the DA usually in the 7000 feet range) so the bike is down 15-20% in power from sea level.

How much sag do I want to put into it? How does putting more or less sag affect how it reacts? Is sag and pre load the same thing?

How does changing the compression affect how it reacts? Where do I want to start?

How does changing the rebound affect how it reacts? Where do I want to start on this?

I wold also like to set up the front suspension for when I am riding and the bike when it is not strapped. I watched a few videos online about setting up the suspension so I have a really basic understanding of it.

Thanks for the help.

Cisco

At stock length you should be able to go to the lowest hole on your rear link. Get it low if you can.

I prefer my bike to squat when I hit it and continue to squat as I first roll out. I want it to rebound slowly. If the rebound is too fast then it will induce a wheelie.

You're just going to have to get out and play with it.

I'd want sag around an inch, as long as setting it there doesn't have you bottoming out on the launch.

Suspension setups vary dramatically between bikes and people. Not only do the normal things figure in(rider weight, bike ride height, wheelbase, tire, tire pressure, stock or aftermarket shock, spring), but also how the rider controls the clutch and throttle have an affect on the way a suspension needs to be set up.

Back