\'busa crankshafts

OB_Jay

Registered
Got the first 'busa crank in the shop for lightening and race balance. Pretty stout looking piece. Stronger than anything I have seen in a Suzuki before.

Weighs 24.8 lbs. Will let you know what it is when we are done with it. Put it on the balancer, and as expected from a motor with a counterbalancer, it was not well balanced from the factory. Not really "bad", but not to race spec. Same thing we found with the Blackbird.

We will post before and after photos on our website.

Jay

Jay; I did this with my ZX11C
and got rid of the Counter Balancer.

I am really intrested on doing it to the Busa.
When your done I am really looking forward to your post or you call e-mail me.
Looking to see how much rotating mass will go bye bye.

I removed the counterbalancer some slight increase in vibration below 13-1400rpm but every where else it was great .no need to split the cases either gave me 1.5mph in1/4

You mention this being the case with the blackbird, did you do the same as you are planning to do with the busa crank. If so what where the results?

This 'busa crank is only here for lightening and balancing. I imagine we will stroke one very soon. We have stroked a number of Blackbirds. The Blackbird crank seems beefier than the 'busa, but they are both stout pieces.

The deal with the factory balancing is that with the counterbalancer, they do not need to take the time to balance the crank close like we do. We balance these things very close. The only oem cranks we have ever had come in that were balanced as close as we do were Yamahas, mostly FZR600s, and then only a few.

We do not normally put cranks on the balancer until we are done machining on them, but thisd being the first 'busa in, we wanted to see how close it was stock.

Getting back to the counterbalancer issue, when we stroke the Blackbirds, we have to remove the counterbalancer gear because it will contact the piston skirt at the bottom of the stroke. The 'busa has a larger gear than the Honds, so I am sure it would also have to be removed in a stroker application.

Jay

How streetable is a strocked motor and how much life is taken away when you lighten up a crank? What is the down side to what you are doing? How much hp do you get from doing something like that in a street application?

We do not do the rods and pistons, etc unless the customer request it. Inline four cylinder cranks are "self cancelling" which means you only balance the crank itself with no bob weights on it. Then it is up to the engine builder to make sure that all of the pistons and rods weigh exactly the same before he installs them. Most of the top engine builders have gram scales and do this part themselves.
We do not do any nitride or coatings of any kind.

Jay

Hey Jay,you guys wouldnt happen to have a watercooled GSXR1100 crank laying around that you are willing to sell would you?

I currently have my Busa crank at Falicon to have a thorough check and if it passes, it will be stroked 3 mm. Blew the motor up big. Lost the head, all valves, all pistons and 2 rods. This was using the new cam chain adjuster after the original was recalled.

Turbo;

There is no loss of crank life by lightening them. We are simpley removing weight from the counterweights and reshaping them to slice through the oil mist with less drag. ( see www.aperaceparts.com Take the "tour" and check out the crankshaft stuff.)

With stock street bikes, the factory makes the cranks heavy to store energy, the flywheel effect. This allows the rider to leave the stoplight with the rpm too low and not stall the motor. Bikes that are ridden in a high performance fashion don't need all this flywheel in the crank. When the cranks are lighter, the motor accelerates faster.

Jay

piston speed can be altered by rod length.had 74mm stroker on kz you having problems with ring flutter etc.are next to none with 5mm look at hondas new car motor a hell of A lot more stroke than you"ll ever see and designed to go 200k miles with a stock redline at 9000 rpm some other motors w/same redlie have 91mm stroke.are you coatin your pistons?

Hey guys, not being much of a wrench, I hear this term alot "Stroke/Stroking" what does it mean exactly, alot of Harley guys mentions this.. Just curious.. let me know.. thanks.

its like using a taller glass to hold more liquid the taller the glass the more liquid it holds in the case of motors the liquid is air and fuel the more you got the more power you make

Bulldog
Stroke is how far the piston goes up'n down. By increasing the stroke, you increase the displacement. "Bigger is better" is the theory. It's not as simple as that though. You either have to run a shorter rod, or change the compression height or both. In extreme case's you start getting in to trouble with piston speed due to the shorter rod whipping the he.ll out piston trying to keep up with the crank. Last time I got in to piston speed on this board I was labeled an idiot, seems I'm in good company on this thread though.

Back