Crankshaft Balancer Removed (whats next)

Frank Adams

Registered
This mod was really simple I thought and now it's time to see what happens at the dragstrip.

This mod took Me 1hr 15min only because I decided I was now going to start useing Synthetic oil and I had to run and get some.
I looked around at the selection and ended up buying "Mobil 1 15W-50" for My bike.

Know before you do this mad your going to get oily!
You have to remove your fairing, pipe, and oil pan with a few oil hoses.

After you pull the oil pan off thats where things start to become a oil mess. Oil from the crank case likes to drip down while your removing the balancer. Nothing that Brake Cleaner wont take care of afterwards.

I put a new oil filter on and then finished putting everything else back together except the fairings. I want to be able to see that theres no leaks after the test run down the rode.

After going out for a ride and making MY evaluation, I know that I'll be having Jay at APE take care of My crank this winter when I do some more internal mods.

There will be more vibration after you pull the balancer out. I don't think it's bad enough to make your hands go to sleep but you definitly know it's different. I think I can live with it untill the seasons over.

I can't remember seeing where anyone said their "et's" before & after the mod?

I'm not going to know what My gains are either because I've done a number of things that should contribute to running faster since the last time I was able to go to the track.(not a good way to do things)

I have just a couple of chances to do some testing before Prostar this weekend, and each one the weather is really going to suc.

90 degree heat and 90% humidity is not good for testing!

Anyway, this mod is done!

I'll assume you plugged your oil hole in the end of the balancer shaft correct? Just an FYI to anyone else reading this post about removing the balancer. If you don't plug the oil hole it's supposed to make you loose all your oil pressure, which of course would be a very very bad thing!

GSXRboy, it seems if you cut .5 (1/2 tenth) off your 60ft times you'll gain arond 2 tenths in the end.

BadBoy, I hope your right. After Prostar I'm going to let My bike "turn to the bottle".

Thanks gsxrboy, I forgot to metion the hole in the end of the balancer.

Did you get a chance to test a before & after with this mod at the track?

Get your APE crank work done before you pull the counterbalancer and you won't have any vibration.

They balance the crank to .01 grams!

That pretty much convinces me not to do one without the other.

I did it when it was fairly new and was picking up ET everytime I went to the track. (Love those days!) Anyhow after I removed it I picked up a tenth or two but that was also do to a better 60'....

Back