Busa blues, sparaticly dies

01LANDROCKET

Registered
I was riding my 99 the other day and it just dies. I restart my 99 and low and behold it starts but redies, fn pos wtf, and restart and redie. I am getting pretty angry at this point so I turn the ignition off then back on and she starts, cool. I thought it was just the ignition switch not fully seated in on position, hahahahaha, what a chump. The brain, pc3usb, both have been replaced and the fuel strainer has been taken apart and cleaned and still just whenever the bike feels like, it dies... No FI code and no spit or sputter just stone cold dead. It seems that if I keep the throttle half open insted of letting it drop to an idle it will stay running longer but still dies eventually. I would ride it across state right now but I know it might not be the first hundred miles or even the second but I know that eventually the bike will die again...
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
any help, how do you diagnose a prob that is only a prob when it wants to be but never when you are right next to some allen wrenches and a voltmeter?
banghead.gif

rock.gif

Really dumb question, but what is she idleing at?

1,100 or so but when it dies it drops to 0, lol, it idles great and good throttle response plenty of power, just a big nasty quitter and its giving Suzuki a bad freegin name. I was told by a couple of older fellas to just take it to the shop but they are just going to charge me labor to try and get it to die and when it doesnt I will have to pay $200 for nothing and then it will die on me on my way home.
deadhorse.gif

A goog shop won't rape you. Get to know your favorite shop and the guys that work there. If they don't know you by your first name and you don't know their names then that's should be something to fix. A good mechanic and parts guy are friends everybody should have. Bring some donuts,coffee,a pizza or just hang out and BS for a few. You'd be amazed by the amount of info and help you can pick up by just talking with the techs. The parts guys will hit that discount button so many times once they get to know you as a regular. And because you are also friends you will naturaly get deals. Check by word of mouth with your friends and different people you know. There is always someone who is good and can be trusted, you just gotta find them. Post up your town and state and I'm sure somebody here at the org can give you a referal. What do ya say guys?

I have dealt with intermittent issues like this for a lot of years... Do not expect the techs to be "magicians" if it wont die, it wont die... they can not see through the sides of parts and say it is or is not working...

The most obvious issues are usually best treated with new parts.. (can turn into a monster pretty fast at $100 a pop)

You find the best qualified techs and give them the rundown.. they will give you the most likely issue and it is up to you to either drop the money or just wait till it quits entirely...

Faith in your mechanic is pretty important but keep in mind that they are not Gods... only making the best informed guess they can under the conditions put to them... (luck is a big part of this)

Can be pretty frustrating .... (on both sides of the problem, you and the tech)

Yeah, I have a good mechanic but he went to work for one of those high dollar/hr establishments and is pretty hard to get on the side. The one establishment in my town with real certified mechanics is the most expensive probably in the freegin state and this dude is about his money, discount is a dirty word and is not to be used in front of the customers. LOL I live in Enid Oklahoma so I would have to go to Oklahoma City or Tulsa wich are both two hours away. The good thing is, I kinda have a parts bike 06 model that I can swap parts on all day cause the 06 is totalled. I think I will swap the kickstand and tip sensor and the fuel pump was another that I will keep in mind but I will start simple and see what happens. Thanks fellas.

Well welcome to the board. I am in the Tulsa area. Shop labor anywhere is 75 bucks an hour. So, how many miles? The throttle bodies may need to be synced. As Shawn asked, the timing may need to be bumped up. There are a couple of things to look at it.
beerchug.gif

I understand but wouldnt timing off or tbs needing synced make it just run crappy. It runs great when it runs and does not run at all when it dies so its more like a bad switch or fuel pump shutting down, something along those lines. I found some stuff on here about a bad fuel filter prob with the 99 and am going to change the pump with the 06 and hope to heck I get a winner. R&D cheap bastard style.

Sorry I havn't been on in awhile. I actually had to have my password reset cause I didnt write it down, oops. I got the problem fixed after taking it to a mechanic and waistin $200 dollars on him and then taking it and having it tuned, nother $200 waisted, well not waisted but it was still dying. Last but not least I tore all of the fuel line out and it was fooking vacuum line with some kink preventing wire around it, yessss for the retard that put that $#!t on there, and me for not realizing it earlier. (and the mechanic of course) So I went and found some steel braided fuel hose and put that under there and could not get the tank to close no matter how I cut it. When I did get the tank to close I realized I had that rough steel rubbing against my frame and wiring harness. DAMN. So I goes down and finds myself some racing fuel hose which has a full jacket of fibers embedded in the rubber to reinforce it and that lasted about a week, and yes I put the kink prventing wire on it also, no luck. AAAAHHHHHH, off to the parts store again. I bought a couple of 90's and 45's allthough I didnt like the fact of having another 5 places that could possibly leak, my bike has ran for the past two months with no f'n issues. HHHOOOOORRRAAAYYYYY P.S. I LOVE MY BUSA

Back