99 Bus--- Chec light goes on...

Busabim

Registered
Greetings,

Just got a 99 Busa, 8000 miles. Today i went for a rip and the bike lost power and died and would not restart. As it was getting towed the chec symbol on dash turned off and bike started again.

Bike sounds a little off, dont think it is fuel related.

Any suggestions where to start?

Busabim

check tip over sensor on back of tank bracket for broken tab. check nipple on sensor on back of airbox that hose is attached.

txs.

Will have a look at those, how would they reset themselves after the bike cooled down so that it could start again?

BB

When you lift the tank to check the tip over sensor and loose hoses, also check for loose connections or wires that may have been pinched and shorted. Does your busa have a Power Commander, TRE, etc.,? If so, remove them for the time being and see if it solves the problem. Also, lift the seat and check the connections to the ECU and the battery.

Ok. Checked tip over sensor bracket is ok. Played with sensor while bike was on rear stand and it didnt make any difference. Checked all hoses and lines to the airbox and everything seems ok.

Ran the bike on stand until fan came on and bike was ok. The IAP sensor bracket was loose so I tightened it and checked small vacuum lines to the sensor and they look tight.

I wonder if the problem is vibration related so when I am driving the problem reappears. I will take bike for a run on highway and see what happens.

BB

BEfore I went down the road, the chec light came on and coolant temperature was in the red. Bike was warm from before but not hot. Went out on highway and watched the thermostat gauge.It stayed below half way even in slower part of city.

I believe the problem is related to a temperature sensor and the bike is running very rich ( fuel mileage bad)with no power commander ( removed and sent back to Dynojet) and akropovic full system and no other mods to airbox.

Rich usually is cooler in motors , isnt it?

BB

Bike had the dreaded external fuel pump overheat for those who are interested!

I was 800 miles from home when I learned about the 99/2000 external fuel pump issue. When I got home I replaced the fuel pump. I have ever been stranded on a bike before in 10 bikes

The chec light had nothing to do with the problem and my buddies 2008 gsxr 6000 did the same thing on the trip.

Back