Busa 1, Vortex sprocket 0

"Gotgixers, you should know when it says "Made in China" it's junk!"

Uhummm, that was made in america Tufbusa, it was CNC'd in California to be exact. And cost just shy of 100 dollars shipped. And are you talking about the CAT V black hard anodised Vortex sprockets on your race bikes?? You really think they will hold up on a daily ridden low 9/high 8sec bike??? I might try one out. Being a drag racer I do understand the "unsprung weight" deal. If I could get one to last as long as the rear tire I'd be happy...

And i check/adj. my chain every 2nd tank of gas.(about every 300mi) And I run a ZZZ chain on all my bikes. Chain has 5600mi on it, normal stretch and no tight or kinked links or scared up rollers.And alignment is good too.

I really can't give you any input on a drag bike. A steel sprocket would no doubt hold up longer than aluminum. You may want to try a Vortex and see how it performs. I'd like to know myself. I'm sure Vortex could give you some input if you ask that question on their website.

I just got off the phone with Vortex direct...

"if you are running an EK chain, that is the problem.. they are about .002 shorter link to link and kill sprockets"

Now this is the first I have heard of this...

Randy,

Does your cush drive look like this...

bst15.jpg

I just got off the phone with Vortex direct...

"if you are running an EK chain, that is the problem.. they are about .002 shorter link to link and kill sprockets"

Now this is the first I have heard of this...

WTF??????? You have got to be kidding me....
WELL...Maybe they are initally produced shorter to compensate for initial chain stretch??
Is Vortex in bed with DID or Tsubaki maybe... and using specs to steer people awy from EK?? Just a thinking out loud here, not saying that they are...
But, it would make sense to me to design a chain .002 short to help compensate for inherent chain stretch on HIGH HP bikes.

I have an AFAM hard anodized 41 tooth aluminum sprocket with 7K on it as well... the teeth are starting to 'hook' now... very disappointed with the thing and going with either a full steel or a tri-metal composite gear...

NOW PLEASE.. someone tell me WHAT sprocket fits the GaleSpeed wheel? no one carries crap locally and I do not want to order 4 sprockets...

so far no manufactures have replied back and NO link to G.Speed...

help? (a direct contact with GaleSpeed would be MOST appreciated)

I put on a vortex rear on my turbo bike a couple seasons ago, it was shot after about 2000 miles. No drag racing or hard launching just roll ons and normal driving. I have since replaced it with my stock steel sprocket and have not seen any wear.

I'm also considering a tri-metal sprocket this is the brand I'm considering. Any one used this brand before?
Krause Racing's Sidewinder Sprocket's Tri-Metal Sprockets

that looks like the one... seems to be some big fricken secret what sprockets they use and it is annoying..

That's the cush drive set up on my BST Carbon fibre wheels, many of the aftermarket wheels use that set up. I get my sprockets from Josh @ Ryders Connection...the brand that I get from him is "Driven" I am using the hardened aluminum.

His screen name is jester0769

From "Mr. Know-it-all's" blurb:

>"Tensile Strength (calculated in pounds or kilograms) is the maximum, sustained load the chain can withstand before undergoing permanent deformation, elongation or STRETCH."<

Unless the chain makers have their own vocabulary (which they might), that is not the normal mechanical definition of tensile strength. Tensile strength, aka ultimate tensile strength (UTS) is the max. load an item can withstand before it breaks. The actual breaking point strength will probably be somewhat lower.

What he has defined is known as the proportional limit (PL), which occurs just before the yield strength (YS). There are several defined YS's, depending on how much permanent stretch is allowable. The aircraft industry uses a YS that is 10 times lower than other industries, but even at that higher amount the amount of permanent stretch isn't very much.

Just for the record---.

A lot of miles still left in that Vortex sprocket :beerchug:

A 19/43 set up would wear better than a 18/41 :thumbsup:

I know it's still got some miles left. I could probably get another 1500 to 2000 out of it, but decided to pull it off the bike when I was swapping tires. The chain also has a many more miles on it, but since I'm almost out of slack adjustment, and I don't want to trash the new sprocket, the chain was replaced too.

After this I'm sticking with steel so I know it will last longer. One sprocket per season is not very good when I don't drag race the Busa.

Back