Busa 1, Vortex sprocket 0

TruWrecks

Banned
I was interested in seeing how well a Vortex Aluminum sprocket would hold up to the abuse of a Busa. I put one on my bike to give it a run. After 8000 miles of flogging, which included two track days, the sprocket has reached it's current state.

This was the sprocket new right out of the packing:

Vortex_Sprocket.JPG

Now that I found a company that make the sprocket size I want in steel I changed it. I also added an EK ZZZ chain to better match the new sprockets.

SunStar_EKZZZ.JPG

That sure didn't last very long did it? I was thinking of getting one of those (to further the black scheme) but now I don't know.
Is the factory sprocket steel?

Thanks for the sharing info and experience i am almost due for mine, when dealing chain an sprockets must always go for function instead of flash.:laugh: :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Here's what a 60hp hit of nitrous does to Alum sprockets....
notice the 5 missing teeth. 748 mi and ONE mid 2nd gear thru mid 3rd gear nitrous hit...
Just say no to aluminum guys...

img832.jpg

A lot of miles still left in that Vortex sprocket :beerchug:

A 19/43 set up would wear better than a 18/41 :thumbsup:

I would think the type of chain and the proper adjustment to the chain would have a huge impact on the wear and tear of the sprocket, a loose chain would have a tendency to to hit hard under a quick acceleration thus potentially damaging teeth compared to a properly adjusted one

just my thoughts,no evidece to confirm or deny but vortex makes some good sh!t and I wouldnt think they would put out a product that would fail so soon

I would think the type of chain and the proper adjustment to the chain would have a huge impact on the wear and tear of the sprocket, a loose chain would have a tendency to to hit hard under a quick acceleration thus potentially damaging teeth compared to a properly adjusted one

just my thoughts,no evidece to confirm or deny but vortex makes some good sh!t and I wouldnt think they would put out a product that would fail so soon

I agree to a point, but it depends on how hard you ride too. I hide hard and wheelie and when i took off my 43 alum, it was warped. (not flat)
No problems with steel so far.

TruWreck's used Vortex sprocket has tons of miles left in it. I can verify you can run a Vortex Aluminum Sprocket until the teeth are so sharp you could shave with them.

I have been running Vortex Sprockets for years. I don't think there are many who romp them any harder than me and I have never had a failure. I have learned I can get 12-13 thousand miles on a sprocket before it's done. Riders who are less abusive can expect more.

We run Vortex Aluminum Sprockets on all our race bikes as well as does most of our competitors and I have yet to see a vortex sprocket fail. IMO Vortex goods are FIRST CLASS!

Gotgixers, you should know when it says "Made in China" it's junk!

Steel is by far more durable than Aluminum. A steel sprocket will last three times as long as aluminum. Steel is less expensive than Aluminum. So there are some advantages to steel. However, don't disregard aluminum. It is lighter and you'll loose about a pound of unsprung weight, which won't make much difference unless you are racing in competition where every pony you can add to the rear wheel counts.

Steel and Ti is the way to go if you are pushing the bike. I use aircraft steel on the Turbo.

"Gotgixers, you should know when it says "Made in China" it's junk!"

Uhummm, that was made in america Tufbusa, it was CNC'd in California to be exact. And cost just shy of 100 dollars shipped. And are you talking about the CAT V black hard anodised Vortex sprockets on your race bikes?? You really think they will hold up on a daily ridden low 9/high 8sec bike??? I might try one out. Being a drag racer I do understand the "unsprung weight" deal. If I could get one to last as long as the rear tire I'd be happy...

And i check/adj. my chain every 2nd tank of gas.(about every 300mi) And I run a ZZZ chain on all my bikes. Chain has 5600mi on it, normal stretch and no tight or kinked links or scared up rollers.And alignment is good too.

"Gotgixers, you should know when it says "Made in China" it's junk!"

Uhummm, that was made in america Tufbusa, it was CNC'd in California to be exact. And cost just shy of 100 dollars shipped. And are you talking about the CAT V black hard anodised Vortex sprockets on your race bikes?? You really think they will hold up on a daily ridden low 9/high 8sec bike??? I might try one out. Being a drag racer I do understand the "unsprung weight" deal. If I could get one to last as long as the rear tire I'd be happy...

And i check/adj. my chain every 2nd tank of gas.(about every 300mi) And I run a ZZZ chain on all my bikes. Chain has 5600mi on it, normal stretch and no tight or kinked links or scared up rollers.And alignment is good too.

Tufbusa does track days (road course) not drag race.

Ahh- I should spend some more time around here and I'd probably know that, huh...

Thats a whole diff animal than drag racing...esspecially as far as sprocket wear goes.
As you guys(course riders) ease into the throttle with great finese most of the time, I am launching a 500lb bike right near its torque peak at the drop of a clutch lever, flogging it with 167hp and then dropping another 60hp on it instantly at the push of a button right near peak torque again.

If you listen closely, sometimes you can hear the sprocket begging for mercy shortly after punching the N2o button.....:rofl:

I have an AFAM hard anodized 41 tooth aluminum sprocket with 7K on it as well... the teeth are starting to 'hook' now... very disappointed with the thing and going with either a full steel or a tri-metal composite gear...

NOW PLEASE.. someone tell me WHAT sprocket fits the GaleSpeed wheel? no one carries crap locally and I do not want to order 4 sprockets...

so far no manufactures have replied back and NO link to G.Speed...

help? (a direct contact with GaleSpeed would be MOST appreciated)

Back