BT 016's

I burned through a set of 016's pretty quick.

Let me know how far you get, Russ.

I have no doubt that I can't ride hard enough to out perform the tire. I'm still learning. Busa's are great bikes, but they don't turn real well. They're too big and heavy.

Russ:

Other than somebody like Mr. Rossi, we are all "still learning" and that is what makes the RIDE so great... 40 years of riding and if I wasn't 'still learning' I think I'd get bored and take up fishing.

Your learning curve has sharpened up here quite a bit lately and I doubt that if you continue riding like last weekends exploits (Stony Creek) that any set of tires you put on that Big Bad Busa would last much more than 2000 (s)miles!

ButtHead

I've read good reveiws of these tires here. I've got two rides on them so far, near 800 miles. Looks to me like they are wearing super fast on the sides. Running them at 34 front and 36 rear.

A friend has them on his FZ1 and said he got 1700 out of his 1st rear. He was told to bump the pressure up a few pounds and that did seem to add life on the 2nd one.

So for those that are running them, what pressure ya got 'em at and how many miles are you getting out of them?

The way the rear is looking at this point maybe two or three more rides and it will be done.

I've heard of guys gettin upwards of 8K.....u must be ridin 'er real hard

You are Still Learning..................::wtf: I Guess I am just a Permanent "C" Rider :dunno: Russ YOU ARE a TRACK Rider. Almost in the OZZ Category. The B16 have NO CHANCE with a Rider Like You.

And NO I am NOT KISSING YOUR :moon:

Never been on a track some say that it's a blast. I hate to go and be disappointed. Seems that it may be somewhat boring. Around and around and around. Geez, no deer to dodge, no turkeys to tangle with, no suicide squirrels, no potholes to wreck my rims, no pine straw, pine cones or fallen pine trees. No fun monitors to check the felonious speeds. Nothing but clean, clear asphalt with one way traffic? Where's the fun in that?

Sounds to me like a riding style adjustment... gassing it too much on the exit? have watched some guys that enter corners really slow and then really hammer it out of the corners... (they go through tires like mad too)

Probably the safest way on the street .. However if you start going into corners faster.. (and not suggesting you do).. but then when it comes time to power back up, I bet it is later in the turn as the bike is standing up.. (how it seems to work at the track) and the tire wear will go down

can say one thing, if you ride a lesser tire, you will find out that they spin up a bit sooner and you might find yourself cleaning your shorts...

Yeah, I need to pick my entrance speeds up for sure, but it's unlikely that that will have me sneaking the throttle open any later in the turn. Power on at the apex. When I see the exit it's GO time.

Just did 1800 miles on mine to Alabama and back for vintage Days at Barber Motorsports Park. Rained most of the way home and they handled the rain and temperature differences just fine.

Last set I giot 10K on the rear. Front exhibited cupping even with the tire pressures on the high side. Wardie

Is that 10 THOUSAND? On 16's? WTF? Does your bike even have a throttle? :rofl:

Russ:

Other than somebody like Mr. Rossi, we are all "still learning" and that is what makes the RIDE so great... 40 years of riding and if I wasn't 'still learning' I think I'd get bored and take up fishing.

Your learning curve has sharpened up here quite a bit lately and I doubt that if you continue riding like last weekends exploits (Stony Creek) that any set of tires you put on that Big Bad Busa would last much more than 2000 (s)miles!

ButtHead

Absolutely, always learning, unless not paying attention.

Stony Creek :thumbsup: What a blast that last ride was!!! Following a Butthead around has sharpened my curving abilities. :bowdown: Don't expect me to ride SLOW everyday just to make you look fast. :poke: When I got home and checked the GPS, our Moving Average was a tad over 58 MPH. Not a bad average over 385 (s) miles, considering there was nary a straight (s) mile traveled .

Last edited:
When I got home and checked the GPS, our Moving Average was a tad over 58 MPH. Not a bad average over 385 (s) miles, considering there was nary a straight (s) mile traveled .

Russ:

You better delete the above, I think there is a speed limit around these parts something about a double nickle??? How the heck could we of averaged 58 with the tight stuff of Sonora, Monitor and Ebbetts passes... I think your GPS needs an adjustment (or somebody better slow down, heck those tires might then last ya awhile?).

Later,
ButtHead

Russ:

You better delete the above, I think there is a speed limit around these parts something about a double nickle??? How the heck could we of averaged 58 with the tight stuff of Sonora, Monitor and Ebbetts passes... I think your GPS needs an adjustment (or somebody better slow down, heck those tires might then last ya awhile?).

Later,
ButtHead

Yeah, Right it's the GPS, dammed thing IS busted. Musta' misplaced the decimal point or something? Read it wrong, operator error don't know.

OR, Maybe your entrance speed is somewhat better than you thought. You ever look down at that needle 'O' speed of yours? Those Three Passes got Blasted.

Oh, I know what happened I must have confused the Max Speed with the Moving Average. Hate when that happens.

We ain't no Hoons.

Just pulled up the track logs on the laptop, musta' accidentally deleted them. :whistle:

But, anyway Whadda' bout them 016's? You guys gotta' stop jacking threads like this. :rulez:

Tires wearing out too fast on the sides? Now there's a problem for me to strive for. :rofl:

naaahhhhhhh think I'll just concentrate on keepin her on the road for now. :thumbsup:

I'm running about 38 psi, I've got 5500-6000 on them and I just got to the top of the wear bars. I am noticing, though, that the "2 rears to 1 front" rule won't apply for these tires. They're both wearing at the same speed. I'm gonna need a front and rear at the same time.

I'm running about 38 psi, I've got 5500-6000 on them and I just got to the top of the wear bars. I am noticing, though, that the "2 rears to 1 front" rule won't apply for these tires. They're both wearing at the same speed. I'm gonna need a front and rear at the same time.

That's true with most tires when you are smooth on the throttle. Tire wears very fast when one slams the throttle like everything is a drag race. Proper tire pressures for the street also help. The lower you run them, the hotter they get. When the tires get too hot they will shed rubber much faster than a tire running a couple of degrees cooler. The softer side will have plenty of grip for the streets at 36 to 38 lbs of air. A few pounds lower would be great for the track.

I got 6000km (over 2500 miles) on them so far and it looks like I will do another 4000km. Friend of mine did 13000km on the set. Smooth with throttle, no burning or racing.
Personally I like BT-016s, good handling, good mileage and perfect for occasional track days.
It takes them +- 10 min to worm up for highway use. I noticed that when I pushed them really hard on the track they star to slide a little. Nothing to worry about, just a hint, other then that – I am very happy with them. I run at 2.8-2.9 bar both (+-40PSI) including even on the track.

I got 6000km (over 2500 miles) on them so far and it looks like I will do another 4000km. Friend of mine did 13000km on the set. Smooth with throttle, no burning or racing.
Personally I like BT-016s, good handling, good mileage and perfect for occasional track days.
It takes them +- 10 min to worm up for highway use. I noticed that when I pushed them really hard on the track they star to slide a little. Nothing to worry about, just a hint, other then that – I am very happy with them. I run at 2.8-2.9 bar both (+-40PSI) including even on the track.

The pressure is most likely the reason for the sliding on the track. Next time you take it to a track drop the pressure a little bit and that should help you out. 40 is fine for the street, though.

I ran 40psi on mine too and slid around a little bit on a few occasions. I got about 2500 out of my rear. I would run them again. All tires seem to ware out pretty quick.

I run at 2.8-2.9 bar both (+-40PSI) including even on the track.

It's not surprising your grip is poor. At 40 psi your contact patch very, VERY small and you don't generate enough heat to reach good performance.

The pressure is most likely the reason for the sliding on the track. Next time you take it to a track drop the pressure a little bit and that should help you out. 40 is fine for the street, though.

I thought that might be the reason :laugh:
I will be going again end of October to Kyalami Racing track, so I shall test pressure as well as new suspension settings.

I recently went through a set of BT-016's... when they were fairly new.... i really liked them. Extreme lean angle with confidence. 42-42 psi as per manual.
The harder compound in the middle of the rear isn't that durable.. especially if you do
really hard 1st thru 5th speed runs .... 4000 miles ... front went 5000.
Now run m ct2...just as much tration and seen to hold up better.

Picture 064.jpg

I have a set of 016s that are showing some definite wear on the sides at 68 miles.:laugh:
Rainy trackday, pressure at 30/30. Sure was fun, but a lot of sliding around going on. They worked remarkably well though, given there were small lakes and streams all around the track.:thumbsup:

Back