Brush with death

irish06busa

Registered
Just wanted everyone here to know that this busa rider had a close call with death today! I live in NE PA, so today was close to 70 degrees, perfect for the last ride of the season! I was about 10 miles from home, I was doing around 70-80mph till I hit the small town of towanda,pa. I slowed down for town to around 20mph....made a left hand turn to stop by grandma's house.....I got about 50yds from her house and started applying both brakes...for some odd reason (most the time at that speed I only use front brakes) When my rear wheel locked up! I skidded about 30feet to a stop! I immediately jumped off to inspect the busa.....I found my rear caliper at the top of the rotor wedged between the rotor and the swingarm! I thanked god it didn't happen at a higher speed! I then called the dealer who a month ago changed the sprockets 96miles ago......they came and got the busa.....I went to the shop to inspect their (professional) assessment of the situation! hahaha! They never tightend the bolt down that holds the caliper to the swingarm brace......They are replaceing the tire, caliper bracket, and possibly the swingarm (due to the damage done).....I will certainly inspect the dealer work more throughly from now on! Give me your thoughts and complaints about your dealers! God bless and ride safely!!

(irish06busa @ Nov. 09 2006,16:18) Just wanted everyone here to know that this busa rider had a close call with death today!  I live in NE PA, so today was close to 70 degrees, perfect for the last ride of the season!   I was about 10 miles from home, I was doing around 70-80mph till I hit the small town of towanda,pa.  I slowed down for town to around 20mph....made a left hand turn to stop by grandma's house.....I got about 50yds from her house and started applying both brakes...for some odd reason (most the time at that speed I only use front brakes)  When my rear wheel locked up!  I skidded about 30feet to a stop!  I immediately jumped off to inspect the busa.....I found my rear caliper at the top of the rotor wedged between the rotor and the swingarm!  I thanked god it didn't happen at a higher speed!  I then called the dealer who a month ago changed the sprockets 96miles ago......they came and got the busa.....I went to the shop to inspect their (professional) assessment of the situation! hahaha!  They never tightend the bolt down that holds the caliper to the swingarm brace......They are replaceing the tire, caliper bracket, and possibly the swingarm (due to the damage done).....I will certainly inspect the dealer work more throughly from now on!   Give me your thoughts and complaints about your dealers!   God bless and ride safely!!
Due to all the horror stories I hear about dealerships I have been doing all the work myself.  I even take the wheels off to have the tires changed.  

Just not worth the chance to me.  If anyone is in the Jacksonville, Florida area and knows thru first hand experience of a dealership that is trustworthy I would like to know.  I have not heard anything bad of any here, but I just do not feel comfortable trying any without hearing good things of them first.

Glad you are OK.

Jeezus ! I would of been calling them every name in the book !

This is why I won't let anyone but me touch anything that needs worked on. Cars, bikes, boats...you name it. I do not trust anyone but me to do things right.

wow.gif

Wow, I do all the work myself as well. Nobody's perfect, but when it's your own butt on the line, it makes one be a little extra careful.

Stealership is lucky they could come pick up the Busa... and even more lucky that was all that was being picked up, that day.

Make sure EVERYTHING that has a scratch on it or more gets replaced (not fixed).

Glad you're okay!

There's nothing wrong with dealerships
wink.gif
, just remember to check all their work BEFORE riding. I know I recheck my work I do on all my bikes, and Yep, I've found some errors made by ME
laugh.gif

Kinda like I always check the aircraft I'am flying EVERY time I start a new flight no matter how long that day I've been flying. And Ya know, I still sometimes find stuff that need attention
SHOCKED.gif

Glad your ok
Just remember they are just human that makes mistakes. I worked for a bike shop. When you do the same service 100000000 times sometimes you just plain forget. That's why my shop never let any bike move beforeat least one other person preferably 2 other people inspect each others work. Deffinatly inspect dealership work cause they make mistakes to.

glad you're ok and able to make the post above...could have turned out much worse...i do all of the work that i can myself and check everything again that anyone else does for missing or loose parts

i like to do all the work myself, i know how it was put back together. gives me peace of mind.
you came out good on your deal, it could have been very bad.

SHOCKED.gif
I will always check twice!!

good to hear you made it. Better thank grandma
beerchug.gif

Thanks everyone.....I will certainly be checking everything from now on....If not doing my own work! I am now more than ever looking to make it to Busa bash in the spring! WHAT A GREAT BUNCH OF PEOPLE HERE!!!! THANKS ALOT!!!

Glad to hear you're OK. I do all my own work too. nobody cares more about my bike than I do.

(irish06busa @ Nov. 09 2006,13:18) Just wanted everyone here to know that this busa rider had a close call with death today!  I live in NE PA, so today was close to 70 degrees, perfect for the last ride of the season!   I was about 10 miles from home, I was doing around 70-80mph till I hit the small town of towanda,pa.  I slowed down for town to around 20mph....made a left hand turn to stop by grandma's house.....I got about 50yds from her house and started applying both brakes...for some odd reason (most the time at that speed I only use front brakes)  When my rear wheel locked up!  I skidded about 30feet to a stop!  I immediately jumped off to inspect the busa.....I found my rear caliper at the top of the rotor wedged between the rotor and the swingarm!  I thanked god it didn't happen at a higher speed!  I then called the dealer who a month ago changed the sprockets 96miles ago......they came and got the busa.....I went to the shop to inspect their (professional) assessment of the situation! hahaha!  They never tightend the bolt down that holds the caliper to the swingarm brace......They are replaceing the tire, caliper bracket, and possibly the swingarm (due to the damage done).....I will certainly inspect the dealer work more throughly from now on!   Give me your thoughts and complaints about your dealers!   God bless and ride safely!!
Dealers suck...........................

Well,

Make sure they re-install the bolt properly this time.

The Bolt head goes from the tire side out thru the backet with the nut on the outside.

White loc-tite should be applied to that bolt also .

firedevil.gif
im sure it was an honost mistake but "i made an honost mistake" doesnt cover your family if it was worse

That stinks! It really is a shame though, you can't bring your bike to an authorized Suzuki shop to get something down without fear of it not being done right! That is not right. I have had issues myself so I know what you mean but it stinks. Its not like you went to a little mom and pop shop and had a kid work on it for pennys just to save a few bucks. Not right, but you find it in everything you try and do or get fixed these days. Getting worse!
firedevil.gif

Back