Brotha\'s Buying High Mileage Busa - need help

OB_Mr. Crashy

Registered
I found a '99 Copper/Silver Busa with 18K on the clock for cheap. The bike has carbon RS-3 slip ons and thats it. Never been down and all of the plastic is prestine. Confirmed touring miles.

Is low 8's too much to pay for this beast and is there any solidarity to a 18K busa motor?

I plan on flying up to Long Beach this Friday to lay the coin down so any input before then would be appreciated. I could by new, but for this price that free's up big money for an MC turbo kit! =)

Thanks.

I just paid 9 for one with 3400 miles.

Not a scratch, genmars, helibars, zg tour, clutch mod, mcintosh links, partial airbox, extra new oem tire, lift for back wheel, all stock parts and tank bra.

Motorhead tuned. 159 hp.

[This message has been edited by viol8r (edited 14 August 2000).]

16k on my bike right now with no motor problems. Going to do a leak down soon as I can to see if the turbo screwed anything up when it was blowing oil / aluminum bits into the motor. My bike had 3k miles, pristine shape when I bought it for $8,900 out the door. Just over a month old, copper/silver. I'm up in the northwest, so not sure how prices vary from region to region.

I have a '99 with 18500 miles. Had to have the fuel screens cleaned at 7500, and started using Redline inj. cleaner. End of problem.

Did clutch mod, etc.

Installed an APE cam chain tensioner at 17000 miles as a precaution. It sounded like I was getting a bit more noise from that area before I junked the auto. Quieter immediately. I recommend that mod for peace of mind. Had valves checked at same time; all in spec.

Entire bike is almost like new, including engine. I use a lot of full throttle, but try to be smooth. Still using original drive chain which shows virtually no wear. Just put on my 8th rear tire.

I would much rather have my bike with twice the present mileage than some of the bikes with only 3000 or 4000 miles that are regularly abused at the strip or by wheelies and stoppies, etc.

You guys have been extremely helpful.
The bike has both the cam tensioner and fuel filter recall done and will be rode back up here to San Jose (Approx 400 miles). I'm just worried about the lack of warranty and wonder if I should spend the money for a new one. Can you even buy a third party warranty for a bike with this many miles?

Thanks bigtime.

I believe that the original owner has to purchase the extended warranty and then he /she can transfer it to you.

Let us know how it works out!

if it was me...i would spend the extra "two" and get a new Busa. You know it is new, and with a high milege sport bike you never, never know what to expect. I wouldn't pay more than 7 beans for that Mamason.

I've got 18,500 on my 99 as well. No problems to report. I know I'd want $8k + if I was selling mine, but I'm not sure I'd pay that much if I was buying one. That's just too close to the price of a new one for me.

I'm not talking about the recall on the automatic tensioner. I'm talking about replacing the auto with a MANUAL tensioner.

Mine also had the recall done, but there have been too many problems with the autos for me to trust it. DaZee has gone through 4 of the d*** things.

I wouldn't pay low-$8Ks for a Busa with 18K miles on it. You should be able to do much better than that.

99s with under 5K miles regularly sell for about $9K all over the country, according to the classifieds I found before I bought my used 99. I paid $9300 for a bike with 2700mi. Had recall work done, and came with like-new Yoshi slip-ons and BMC filter too.

18K miles in 12-18 months sounds like a heck of a lot of mileage to me, even if it is all highway miles. That bike is probably worth high $6Ks, if that.

Check www.cycletrader.com, www.classifieds2000.com and all of the other places...

Thanks for all of you insight. He's down to $7900 and solid. I actually bought a red '00 for 9499.00 last May for a contest give away. I could pickup another one for that price any day. But copper is the color I want, **** .... decisions.

Order the Copper/Silver body plastic from Suzuki and replace parts when you want to ride a Copper/Silver replace again if you want to ride a Blue/Silver.Same thing with Harley's don't like the color just order the gas tank,front and rear fenders and you are on the go with a different color.Only problem with the gas tank would be to replace the key/cap unit so all the locks match up. Good Luck.

Mr. Crashy - Just buy the 2k and trade someone with a Copper 99' body panels. I'm sure you could find someone with a Copper 99' that would love to trade for 2k red or blue!

stick with copper it is a color that no other bike comes in. black comes close in looks but the blue?...the red?..more like maroon...

Always wanted a copper one, but too damn hard to find in Cali. The local dealership is trying to lock down one for me tommorow for 11K OTD based on the previous Busa I purchased back in May for 11.2K If he can obtain one I'll bring him the cash immediatly...do you think this is a solid deal? 9499 + prep-freight + tax + DMV reg = 11K. I'll readily trade for copper skins/tanks if the are immaculate mmmkay!!

Thanks for the advise. Anyone wanna buy a 623 rwhp Supra, don't think I'll be using it much anymore. =)

Back