Typical Problems with High Mileage 'busa's ???

beast619

Registered
What are some common problems or necessary major maintenance that you've experienced with high mileaged busa's
rock.gif
 What's the magic number when things start to fail?  Is there such a thing with this beast?   Is it as bulletproof as i've heard?

Just bought an '04 with 16,000 Miles.

<!--EDIT|beast619
Reason for Edit: None given...|1103611319 -->

I may not be much help but I bought mine in Aug of 2000, I have 21K miles on it with no problems. The maintainence schedule calls for valve check/adjust at 15K miles, I checked mine at 16K and they were all in the middle of their tolerance so no adjusting was needed. I would say it depends on how hard you dog your bike as to where the weak links are. Maybe someone else will chime in and shed some more light on the subject. I did replace a battery this year, I used the one that the Honda ST 1300 uses, it is a little stouter battery, mine still had some life in it but due to some starter kick back problems I have read about because of a weak battery I decided to go ahead and put the new one in.

16K wow, Someone rode alot for the first year, but no prob, with some here who have 70+ I have about 22K just change oil ... you should be fine. Do you have the maintenance record from the previous owner?

No, i bought it from a dealer who of course never has any records from the bikes they recieve. When looking thru the bike i did find an old work order performed by the dealer back in March of '03. Its got the old owners name and phone number on it. I gonna call and ask him what has been done to save myself some headache and money.

work order from March of '03?? You did say you have an '04, right?

Hi I have a 2001 Busa, has almost 70,000 Kms on it, have done only maint, new brakes (all round, front twice) two chains ans sprockets oils and filters, used full synthetic since new, never a problem and I ride most of the year if no snow, I live in Ontario Canada so weather is sometimes poor

That's good to hear. I was pretty certain this thing is a tank, just wanted to know about any unusual exceptions.

<span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'></span><span style='font-family:arial'></span><span style='color:darkblue'></span>
I have had my bike since 7/03. I HAVE PUT 23000 ON it. I live on a dirt rode, I ride in the rain, snow, ect. I did the valves shims at 10000. Change the synthetic oil around 5000 to 7000 and I have never washed the bike once.

Only real problem is the clutch slave cylinder failing. The oil began to leak past the cylinder. I found a person on this site that makes a fix for this problem. I believe the problem is all the lube and dirt collecting on the clutch shaft. some of the dirt must of got onto the cylinder and scratched it catastrophically. This is from the chain lube.

wait so the chain lube catches excess crap and causes problems??? ive never heard of that, or is it because of sooo much build up from lack of washing that it created problems? How bad were the valves off when you had them checked?

Back