Broadband

newman

Registered
Whats your broadband like over in America, do you have to pay for it, is it fast, here in England I've never had a consistent broadband the speed is all over the place the fastest download speed I've had is set at 1500mb per second and even this only gives me at the best 350kb per second on downloads. Speed also depends on your distance from a phone exchange and as I live in Jaywick village it's quite a way from the exchange. I would be interested in your experiencies. thanks Dave

Dave, broadband via cable lines via Comcast here is basically instant. I've never bothered to look at the download speed as everything you do on the internet take a second or two.

Remember being on a 28.8 modem when I first started building webpages, you'd click on something to download it, then head out into the garage to work on something for awhile. :laugh:

It's not cheap, I think we're paying $200/month for bundled service (cable/internet/phone) on one bill.

I don't do phone or TV and I don't know how but I got a faster speed at the lower price. 50Mbits down 25Mbits up for 60 bucks a month.

Trust me its fast.

I'm on cable broadband too. I have 3.2MB download speed (can get 5.0MB, but costs a little more), but all packages, no matter the download speed, only have 512KB upload speed. Can get stuff blazing fast, but have to do video uploads like Pashnit was saying, hit "upload" and go do something else for a while.
There are many different forms of internet conections here, cable, DSL (satellite), high speed phone line, etc..
I'm on the edge of the sticks so mine is just mediocre compared to what's available in/around the bigger cities.

I'm on cable broadband too. I have 3.2MB download speed (can get 5.0MB, but costs a little more), but all packages, no matter the download speed, only have 512KB upload speed. Can get stuff blazing fast, but have to do video uploads like Pashnit was saying, hit "upload" and go do something else for a while.
There are many different forms of internet conections here, cable, DSL (satellite), high speed phone line, etc..
I'm on the edge of the sticks so mine is just mediocre compared to what's available in/around the bigger cities.

Sorry Tom I have to ask. did you mean Mb or MB most speeds posted by companies selling are in Mb since the average public doesn't know the difference.

For instance my line of 50Mb down and 25Mb up gives me roughly 6-7MB down and 3-3.5MB up depending on application being used. If you are already making the transition from Mb to MB then I apologize for this post.

Today in America MOST broadband providers will give you a MAX of 15-16Mb down and 512Kb-1Mb up. There are a few that will give you greater speeds, but generally as the speed increases so does the cost to you.

Well, I don't know. Maybe Mb, what do they each stand for? Megabytes is what I "think" I'm meaning. 3.2 megabytes download speed, 512 kilobytes (darn slow) upload speed is what my download/upload speed checker is looking for, though it's always a few slower than what the cable company is labeling it.

Edit: Yes, it is Mb. Went and checked the cable companies web site. Sorry about the confusion.. my bad.:duh:

Last edited:
Well, I don't know. Maybe Mb, what do they each stand for? Megabytes is what I "think" I'm meaning. 3.2 megabytes download speed, 512 kilobytes (darn slow) upload speed is what my download/upload speed checker is looking for, though it's always a few slower than what the cable company is labeling it.

Edit: Yes, it is Mb. Went and checked the cable companies web site. Sorry about the confusion.. my bad.:duh:

I was not meaning to make you feel bad was just curious for accurate info for the OP. To answer your question. MB is MegaByte while Mb is Megabit.

1bit = .125Byte

Your computer will put the information in MB or KB so the speeds you actually see and/or get are shown slower. You should see something around 400KB for downloads with 64KB for uploads.

The whole purpose of changing from bytes to bits by companies annoys me cause. They just wanna play off of things people don't know or understand and I am just trying to help enlighten those around me. :)

1024 x1024 x1024.... Kb KB Mb MB GB TB .....blah blah blah...:laugh: even broadband doesn't mean what is used to! Lets just go back to the good old days of POTS!!!! 14 Kbps anyone? :rofl:

well now see that was something i didnt know...i always thought it was the same...im supposed to get 15mb down and 712k up....but my dl speeds were always around 479k per sec...always wondered why it wasnt faster...now i understand

Whats your broadband like over in America, do you have to pay for it, is it fast, here in England I've never had a consistent broadband the speed is all over the place the fastest download speed I've had is set at 1500mb per second and even this only gives me at the best 350kb per second on downloads. Speed also depends on your distance from a phone exchange and as I live in Jaywick village it's quite a way from the exchange. I would be interested in your experiencies. thanks Dave
Capitalization, man, we have no idea what speeds you're talking about. :poke:

1500Mb/s would be awesome. 1500MB/s would be 8 times more awesome.

350KB/s is about half of what I get here. My connection is rated 5Mb/s, or 640KB/s.

Bundled it costs $30/month.

I wanna move to Japan, they have fiber EVERYWHERE. :thumbsup:

1024 x1024 x1024.... Kb KB Mb MB GB TB .....blah blah blah...:laugh: even broadband doesn't mean what is used to! Lets just go back to the good old days of POTS!!!! 14 Kbps anyone? :rofl:

You know im still dropping in POTS lines here at work man. We give these peeps access through 3TB of network and they wanna plug in their 56k modem. WTF

speaking old school I still have my functional 9700 BAUD modem. Just cant use it no ISA ports anymore on boards. :cry:

Overpriced and no consistant speed Comcast has some places by the Kahunas:banghead: I wish I had more options where I live

$49.99 month plus taxes. I'm right at advertised speeds. Just ran test before posting and updated my sig to show speed.

Speakeasy Speed Test

Download Speed: 25204 kbps (3150.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 2116 kbps (264.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

$65 a month

Nice numbers.. Fiber I am guessing.

Here is my work limited to 100Mb at a 2950 switch.

Download Speed: 94238 kbps (11779.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 9060 kbps (1132.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

I can go connect directly into the Juniper if that isn't high enough. Should be able to get close to the full 3TB it is currently configured for.

Juniper T1600 Core Router Now if I could just get the fiber to my house from these things.

Nope Charter highspeed. But from what I hear Asheville may get the google internet service which is WAY faster then this. :thumbsup:

Cable internet here:

Download Speed: 23257 kbps (2907.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 5195 kbps (649.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

cable internetz at home, about 180 with full cable no hd and internetz

on the road i use the wifi at the motel, and its pretty fast here as well as being free.

Back