Bridgestone Battlax 023 Suitable ?

0ctane

Registered
Does anyone know if the new BT-023 rear tyre is suitable for a 99' Busa.

Ive emailed Bridgestone with no reply (3days now) and the tyre centre says the book doesnt show the early busa on the Bike suitability chart they have so he isnt sure himself.

Cheers

Not answer to your question but a suggestion
If you're just a weekend racer on public roads/going to and from work/a few trackdays a year I'd recommend the Dunlop Roadsmart.. Nonstop grip, lasts about 10000km and very easy to turn with.. Plus that the tire doesn't understand it's raining.. Driving with Dunlop roadsmart during pouring rain is like driving on a sunny day... :thumbsup:
It heats up fairly quick as well..
Our Hayabusa club here is actually sponsored by Bridgestone but still there are plenty using the Dunlop.. (Even the guy WORKING for Bridgestone! :laugh:)

Cheers dude, Im gonna have to go with a harder compound hence the sportstouring, the roads up here are rough as hell and are just chewing through tyres like hell. The asphalt is really broken up and lots of ruts/potholes its so bad at the moment :cussing:

Im 5hrs away from nearest trackday so its all road work for me, Ive just come off the phone to B/stone and had a nice wee chat with technical.

They told me that although the tyre is now mainstream they havnt had a chance to test it on all bikes so cant reccomend the Busa at this moment in time.

Ok the tyre centre has just phoned me, he says after speaking with the supplier that you would have to be very careful putting that on the busa. The 023 can go out of shape when you go over 150mph which could cause a wobble. Im not going to be doing that speed anyway.

So according to spec the 190/50/17 BT- 023 is a closed bracket (73W). This indicates the tyre is capable of speeds over 168mph. The maximum speed is determined by the following: For every 10mph over 169mph the load index has to be reduced by 10%. For example – at 168 mph the maximum load is 365kgs, so at 178 mph the maximum load will reduce from 365kgs to 328.5kgs and so on.

Weight

Busa 215kg
Fuel 16kg
Me 90kg with gear on

TOTAL - 321kg.

So my thinking is that the tyre is sufficient for my needs as long as I dont do stupid speeds.

Sorry, forgot to say that roadsmart is a sporttourer tire with dual compound technology..
Not going stupid speeds?? Is that even possible?? :laugh:

168mph is quite a lot so you'll probably be safe..
I wouldn't eventhough I don't drive that fast that often but that's me..

I run the bt 021 with no problems and the 023 is the replacement for the 021.

I will be installing a BTO16 front and BTO23 rear on my busa soon. I have friends who have run this combo on their busa and loved it. Spending triple digit speeds for extended periods through death valley with temps at 120 degrees.

I want the front firmly planted ie the BTO16. The two should wear out about the same time if you are heavy handed on the throttle.

The Dunlop Roadsmart is a great equilivant of the the BTO23. I'd buy whichever one was the most economical.

bugger it im gonna try the BT-023, they have Pilot-roads and power 2ct's but might as well test new technology. Ive got a Maxxis Supermaxx on the front at moment....all I could get in emergency....just wish it would wear down...lol, then I can pair up.

Tried Pilot road, worked fine, a little tricky when pushed but lasted quite a while...
power 2ct's are slippery as hell when they get hot and they get to hot to fast..

well the bike centre are refusing to put a BT-023 rear on the bike as Bridgestone are saying no..........WTF

I will be installing a BTO16 front and BTO23 rear on my busa soon. I have friends who have run this combo on their busa and loved it. Spending triple digit speeds for extended periods through death valley with temps at 120 degrees.

I want the front firmly planted ie the BTO16. The two should wear out about the same time if you are heavy handed on the throttle.

The Dunlop Roadsmart is a great equilivant of the the BTO23. I'd buy whichever one was the most economical.

What happened to the Q2's ?

Is it not safe to say, that if a rider buys a tire from a major brand that is of recent manufacture that chances are, he'll be good to go for general street riding?

I fully understand the profile offerings, some are sporty and rounded, some are for straight line use and have a flatter contact patch (like Shinkos) but beyond that, is there REALLY a big enough diff to matter to the average joe blow blvd prowler?

Much like motor oils? Get a modern one and change it as recommended = your good to go...?

For track use, I know there are diffs, big time, but I'll bet that 80% of people would not be able to tell in a blind test (Coke / Pepsi Challenge type thing) what brand they had on their bike...

That blather said.... to answer your question, if its the right size, made in the last two years, and its a B'stone, your GOOD TO GO my man!

Last edited:
yeah....me likes that positive thinking :thumbsup: and your right about the latest tyres.

There is only a chosen percent of riders that really know how to work a tyre and joe public like myself and many more fall into the trap of " this tyre is too slippy when hot or that tyre is not round enough or them tyres are a different shade of black, those ones fade in colour too much in sunlight.

And after all that fretting over the BT-023 I went to the garage to check bike over as I have a 2hr ride to the tyre centre and the rear is flat, big nail is the culprit which cant be plugged.......argghhhhhhhh but phew at the same time as its needing replaced anyway. Glad it wasnt the new one, Ive now had to buy a BT-020 instead from someone local...

The joys of bikin eh!!! :lol:

Bugger it....BBQ + :beerchug: :drink:

cheers for comments

Back