Brake question

hionbusa

Registered
I thought my front brake lever had little too much travel before engaging. I adjusted the little knob . Checked my pads and they looked OK. They are the stock ones with  6500miles on them.

Bled the lines today . Doesn't seem to do anything .Hopefully I did it right .

How does the brake lever  feels when you have air on the line ?

<!--EDIT|hionbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1139553522 -->

It will feel spongy ..Might have an air bubble trapped...The guys use a mightyvac to bleed brakes methinks..

It will feel spongy ..Might have an air bubble trapped...The guys use a mightyvac to bleed brakes methinks..
I don't think mine feel spongy .

I just have little more travel then I would like .

i was wondering if the lever travel distance increased with the pads wearing out ?

Still got the stock ones with 6500miles.

Thanks,

Your travel distance will increase some....

As the piston in the caliper moves forward as the brakes wear, increasing the amount of fluid behind it (supplied from the resevoir). It will take more pressure from the brake cylinder to provide the same stopping power, which equates to more travel on the brake lever.

As the piston in the caliper moves forward as the brakes wear, increasing the amount of fluid behind it (supplied from the resevoir).  It will take more pressure from the brake cylinder to provide the same stopping power, which equates to more travel on the brake lever.
Thanks,

Thats what I thought . So to regain my distance I will have to just replace pads .

Yep...personally, I didn't wear out my frontor rear pads till almost 20K. But I do a lot of down shifting. You must be riding pretty aggressive.

stock busa masters always feel mushy right from the get go,if you ask me. The hoses are garbage too,and the stock pads not far behind.
mods: some hh pads from EBC or ....
some better lines,Galfer or something
switch out the master, Gix 1000, or aftermarket.

Will make a HUGE difference in stopping power,lever feel and travel.

Have a good 1...RSD.

You would definitely know if you had air in the lines because not only would it be spongy, it would get firmer, then spongy again.

Not- to hijack

Are calipers from all years interchangeable?

hionbusa.. at 6500 miles your pads are not worn !!!if you ride really hard you would still get to about double that !!changing out to hh or braided lines wont change travel.what are you coming off of.cable brakes? stopping power is good right ? its just something to get used to on the range of pull on hydrolic.worn pads do not increase travel !!

<!--EDIT|rob t
Reason for Edit: None given...|1139601358 -->

Just in case you do have a bubble somewhere you might try the old Zip tie around the grip overnight. Just pump the thing up till you are sure youve got good pressure and then put a zip tie around the lever and the throttle housing to hold it on overnight. Worked wonders on my old bike and it is about as close to free as you can get. May want to wrap a rag or something around the grip to stop it from getting cut.

Thanks- I'm in the same boat Hion, I may try the zip tie deal.
Just a little too much travel till it starts biting. I just changed the front lines out too. Maybe this will get any air out.

BTW - the little knob just changes the lever postion in relation to the bars.

As the piston in the caliper moves forward as the brakes wear, increasing the amount of fluid behind it (supplied from the resevoir). It will take more pressure from the brake cylinder to provide the same stopping power, which equates to more travel on the brake lever.
well...almost.
wink.gif

there should never be a need for increase pressure at the lever...that is the reason for the fluid filling the lines.
As the pistons move inward towards the rotor (due to pad wear) the space created by the forward movement in immediately filled in with fluid when you release the lever. Upon the very next squeeze, there should be the exact same "feel" as there was before.
The only reason that more travel would be needed is if the fluid was being pushed back up into the resevoir....which is highly unlikely.
It is doubtful the he has air in the sytem or moisture if the bike is relatively new...especially if these are stock lines and pads.
If the feeling comes after riding...heat may play a part in the gripping effect or in the line expansion. Or yes if he rides very hard then an overheat of the fiud is possible creating an air pocket.

RSD has some good tips for how to cure the feel. No bike maker puts the brakes on it that they really should...
Streetntrack will set you up with a nice package discount when you order it all at once.

You'll be pulling two finger stoppies befroe you know it.

biggrin.gif

hionbusa.. at 6500 miles your pads are not worn !!!if you ride really hard you would still get to about double that !!changing out to hh or braided lines wont change travel.what are you coming off of.cable brakes? stopping power is good right ? its just something to get used to on the range of pull on hydrolic.worn pads do not increase travel !!
I dunno Man 8000 miles and my fronts were just over 3/4s done. Not much left at all... Part of why I went to the EBC HHs and Braided Lines.

Killing birds with one stone and all...

Every Busa I've seen at the dealer seems to have a slightly soft lever. The system is very prone to having air in the lines. I think it might have somthing to do with the angle that the banjo bolts at the master are on. A thorogh bleeding, and the strap the brake lever trick ( a bungee cord works fine) will do wonders. It is probably a worthwile investment for new pads at this pont also. Premium pads are not too $$$

Thanks guys ,

I mean its not that bad . Compared to a brand new  R1  
smile.gif
 , it seemed a little soft.

I will try all of your advice .

<!--EDIT|hionbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1139615079 -->

Back